Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Legacy L Outback Wagon 2.5L AT, 2004 Legacy Outback 2.5L AT, 2000 Legacy Outback 2.5L AT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting the short block from a 2000 into a 2003 Subaru. One of the differences that I noticed was that the 2003 has a female threaded connector for the PCV valve while the 2000 has a short male pipe. Is there an adapter I can purchase / make to adapt the 2003 PVC valve to the 2000 engine?

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
The pcv valve screws into the intake manifold on the 2000. If you are using the intake manifold from the 2003 just unscrew nipple from the manifold to which the pcv tube was connected to and replace it with a pcv valve (assuming the threads are the same), otherwise the manifold from the 2000 should already have the pcv valve on it. I'm sure others with more experience than me can confirm if this is ok to do.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon
18 Posts
My 2002 Subaru Outback, 4 cylinder, has been getting the CEL error code 0420 CEL for years (now 193K miles), even after a new CAT (old one was failed, would not light during a test). Running premium gas makes that 420 code stay away. I typically run regular gasoline, so it the CEL 0420 comes back. However, last week I saw CEL error code 0459 as well, leading me down the path of checking the PCV valve. My PCV is just like the photo at the top (threaded) into the adapter which is in the block, not up at the manifold. It took a breaker bar with the 19mm socket to finally get it loose after a little WD-40 spray as well. Engine was cold, but mid 70F day. The fitting that threads into the block did not seem to move. We watched it as the PCV started coming loose. We had a crows foot to hold it just in case, but it was hard to fit on to it.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts