Subaru Outback Forums banner

PZEV Catalytic converter

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  OBDad 
#1 ·
2010 2.5. Can I install a non pzev cat on a pzev car? My assumption is no but cant hurt to ask. Any suggestions on which cat I should get?
Thanks,

Tyler

#5 ·
Prior to the p0420 it throw a code for cyl4 misfire. Not sure of the exact code. He put Bosch plugs in it and code cleared but p0420 came up. I've talked him into putting the correct NGK plugs in. Going to clean or replace pcv, clean MAF sensor. Take a look at EGR and clean if neccessary. Air filter...etc. I have a strong feeling its plugs but we'll see what happens.

#6 ·
Ah. Yeah, I would not put Bosch plugs in a Subaru. Also, check the O2 sensors. They are triggering the P0420 DTC to be thrown, so might just be that they need replacement (much easier and cheaper than a new catalytic converter). There are some methods to confirm if it's the O2 sensor or the converter. The O2 sensor readings can be measured with a live scan tool to verify if the sensor is behaving correctly. The converter can be checked with an IR temp gun upstream and downstream to see if it's increasing the temperature sufficiently under load. I'd start doing those types of diagnostics before throwing parts at it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.