Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i SAP/white, 2013 BMW 335i xDrive sedan
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 2013 2.5 SAP in Ohio. Did not order it with nor pay for PZEV. It's not listed on window sticker. However car has pzev logo on right rear bumper as if it does. Was this just an error at the port or does it really have pzev? Sales associate was very confused too and did not have an explanation. Happy to have it for free but just curious if it truly is a pzev car or a non pzev with the logo by mistake.

Sorry title has a typo. Not supposed to be "pzez"

·
Registered
2012 Impreza Sport Ltd 2013 Outback Limited SAP
1,495 Posts
I also bought a white 3012 w/SAP and also received the PZEV model. Sales representative and his manager both stated that "that's how they come" and since I didn't order it that way, that could not in good conscience charge me the additional $300. On mine it really does have the PZEV upgrades. I believe that Subaru is trying to change things so that all Subaru 2.0l and 2.5l models are PZEV - regardless of the state to which the car will be delivered.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
Looking at Outbacks on the lot a few months ago I noticed they were all Pzev but only some of them had a seperate $300. line item on the sticker. On the ones that didn't have the additional charge, the price before options (on top) was $300 higher. There's no free lunch.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
Just about every Outback I see in MA is pzev right back to the 3rd gens. My 2004 is a Cali-spec car, so it's my understanding that even mine is at least LEV, maybe ULEV or PZEV even though it doesn't have a badge anywahere.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,627 Posts
is the pzev feature represented in the VIN with a unique number/letter? maybe check the VINs.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
Things like this happen across all makes and models. My neighbor had a 2WD Explorer with a 4WD emblem on it. He was convinced that he had a 4X4 even though there was no knob.

·
Registered
'12 Outback Premium 2.5
37 Posts
Pop the hood. There is a label on the underside that states that the car is PZEV.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
Subaru can tell you from the last 8 digits of the VIN. Call the 800 number or even your parts department.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i SAP/white, 2013 BMW 335i xDrive sedan
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looked under hood. Does not appear to be PZEV but not sure if I'm interpreting this right. Here is pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,076 Posts
Open the air box, there will be a secondary filter on the "clean" side of the airbox. This filter is part of the PZEV equipment. That filter does not have to be replaced.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Just peel the PZEV emblem off, fixed.
Subaru may be putting PZEV emblems on every car even if it doesn't have it.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
Looked under hood. Does not appear to be PZEV but not sure if I'm interpreting this right. Here is pic.
That's a different sticker than my Kali one. The big letters are BC and lists in Kali box PZEV.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Where do I find the airbox?
Under the hood. Not to be a jerk but if you need to know more than that, don't bother, it can be a challenge getting the airbox closed back up if you get it too far apart and don't know what you're doing. I'll just say "airbox" is fairly descriptive and it should be obvious.

Your situation sounds like a dealer playing on people that don't know better, making them think they're being more "green" than they really are. I've seen vehicles with markings that make no sense except for that explanation, though those are more obvious (4WD sticker on a 2WD truck).

Curious, you say the PZEV emblem is on the BUMPER? It's on the tailgate from the factory, right below the other emblem on the right side. If it's on the bumper, the dealer is pulling some stunt and has no clue where it's SUPPOSED to be and hopes the customers don't either (though it doesn't sound like they're making more money on it).

·
Registered
814 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if your car "cold-starts" at like 2200 RPM's and is loud as **** when if first starts I believe you have the PZEV model Lol.

I thought it had something to do with the motor trying to get the catalyst as hot as possible right after start/up. It's funny because my 2.5i PZEV Outback is twice as loud as my '13 WRX (Which is obviously not PZEV) when cold starting up. Even my neighbor asked one day, "Hey does your wife start her car at full throttle in the morning's?" I said no, it's just the PZEV Lol. He then looked at me like :confused:

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
My 2011 PZEV 2.5 starts just under 2000 RPM on cold starts. I live in NY so I DEFINITELY have a PZEV.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts