Subaru Outback Forums banner

Q for those wtih REAR dashcam camera...

9K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  pumkop 
#1 ·
What route did you use to get the cable from the front camera to the REAR camera in the back window?

I see the upper route above the doors has airbag modules along that direction, and rthe bottom along the lower door threshold looks to be very complicated to run/hide a cable.

Would like to hear how you routed yours? I have my front all mounted and power and it's all stealthed out - but this one cable for the rear has me scratching my head in thought.

#5 ·
I routed my cable up the mirror stalk, between the windshield and plastic EyeSight housing (well above the cameras) toward the passenger side, then above the front edge of the headliner. I temporarily removed the A-pillar cover, and as I moved toward the rear, tucked the cable into the space between the black rubber gasket/seal and the headliner above both passenger doors. The cable is tucked between the headliner and top edge of the plastic B-pillar cover without getting near the airbag assembly. The most difficult part of this job was removing the rear hatch plastic panels and fishing the cable through the rubber conduit. FYI, you may need double-stick adhesive tape to replace the original tape holding up the rear section of the headliner; you do have to pull it down to access the cabin side of the rubber cable conduit.

#7 ·
A2Z,

Have any pointers for removing the plastic panel on the rear hatch so you could access the conduit? That is the last step in installing my rear camera and I just wasn't able to get it off. Right now I have the waire going between the edge of the plastic and the window. Not pretty.

#9 · (Edited)
The cabin-side ends of the rubber conduits essentially open up into the space between the headliner and roof sheet metal. They carry a few electrical wires and the rear wiper wash fluid to the lift gate IIRC.

The plastic trim panels are tough to remove. Reference the attachment in sgtmaj27's post here: https://www.subaruoutback.org/forum...oval-lift-gate-inside-panels.html#post4521554

As you are standing facing the open hatch you'll want to pull from the top edge (or glass side) of the center panel, at the three clip locations illustrated. My center panel won't fully click back in because the camera cable keeps the panel from sitting perfectly flush against the glass. I opted to leave it (it isn't going anywhere) rather than cut into the plastic to make a channel for the cord. Hope this helps!

Attachments

#10 ·
My dash cam rear wire goes from the front windshield, follows the headliner on the passenger side of the car, making sure to get it above/behind airbags, along the bottom of the headliner to the rear.

At the rear of the car the bezel for the light can be removed and the headliner can be pulled down slightly giving you enough access to feed the cable through the factory rubber boot and into the hatch.

To remove it I used some chinglish knock off trim piece removal tools but I think you could do it with a screw driver with tape wrapped around it.

From there its just some velcro tape strips holding it in place. I chose that route so that if something bumps it it would act as a fuse and fall off instead of ripping the camera or the panel up.

Picture of end product.

Attachments

#13 ·
I have an 2019 Outback limited.

I hardwired my front cam to the fuse box with a kit you can buy from amazon for cheap. Then I ran a line from the camera to the back window from the driver side ceiling between the rubber wedges for the back camera. I opened the back plastic panels a as well and the back ceiling so I can run the line through the rubber tube so you can’t see any wires (as carefully as possible). Pictures included. And then I found a tiny opening for the wire to go out through the license plate lights so I can mount the dash cam outside right underneath the Subaru backup camera.

this is what it looks like after I put the plastic panels back. Soooo clean! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.