Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2016 OB 3.6R - Carbide Gray
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if it is possible to add the PID to show this? I would really like to have it for towing. We are about to buy a travel trailer and I can't seem to get either of the two trans temp selections in Torque to show data. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,927 Posts
Try ActiveOBD (for Android) instead. It's free, Subaru-centric, and includes both CVT temperature and transfer clutch duty cycle in the standard PID set.

Reactions: tuswm and 1454

·
Registered
6,927 Posts
The user interface in ActiveOBD is kinda' funky, but just experiment with it a little bit. I have the base page set up to display coolant temperature, engine oil temperature, battery voltage, CVT fluid temperature, transfer clutch duty cycle, and approximate steering position. I think the base page may also show when VDC/ABS is active at one or more wheels, but I haven't started testing in marginal traction/wheel slip conditions yet.

Reactions: 1454

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The user interface in ActiveOBD is kinda' funky, but just experiment with it a little bit. I have the base page set up to display coolant temperature, engine oil temperature, battery voltage, CVT fluid temperature, transfer clutch duty cycle, and approximate steering position. I think the base page may also show when VDC/ABS is active at one or more wheels, but I haven't started testing in marginal traction/wheel slip conditions yet.
It does look highly feature rich, but a little ugly. I'll definitely try it out on the way to work tomorrow. I would like to still get Torque working just because it features a widget and I use Overlays (app) to show all of my "gauges" on google maps and waze.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 2.5L, Auto; 2018 Forester, 2.5L, Auto (for Mama); 2005 Baja, 2.5 Turbo, Manual
652 Posts
What are you using for the OBD plug in to send data to Torque? VGate that worked fine in a couple previous cars trips the check engine light with a communication error in my Outback.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What are you using for the OBD plug in to send data to Torque? VGate that worked fine in a couple previous cars trips the check engine light with a communication error in my Outback.
Cheapy bluetooth one. I've used them fine for years with my Legacy and her Foz. But I have never had a reason to look at trans temps before. Everything else works fine. (within what I expected to work) I may see if the built in PID sweep that torque can perform will catch it. Or I'll just stick to using the ActiveOBD ammcinnis suggested.

·
Registered
2016 outback 2.5i cvt, factory trailer hitch.
16 Posts
Try using this video instruction on how to get transmissions temp working for subarus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWR6qsTQYHc . I tried it today on my new outback and it works, The transmission temp is just slightly hotter than engine coolant. Not towing anything. Normal driving. Outside temp was 9degC, coolant around 88degC, tansmission temp 92degC. I am using Torque Pro and BBZ10 with wifi dongle for OBD reader.

·
Registered
2016 outback 2.5i cvt, factory trailer hitch.
16 Posts
Towed 2000 boat trailer this weekend, 150km(95 miles). All highway.Outside temp was 19 degC. No big hills. Coolant temp gage was in middle of range(92 degC). Transmissions temp stayed around 96degC a little warmer than coolant temp.Used this method , like my post above https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWR6qsTQYHc . Based on this will not be getting a transmission oil cooler.

·
Registered
2016 3.6R Limited, w/ES, Ice Silver
600 Posts
Looking for the AT temp that triggers the dash light. I am pulling a trailer, and monitoring CVT temp, and I'd love me to know when I'm getting close to overheating the transmission. Of course, my goal is to stay well below the top end of the range!

·
Registered
2016 3.6R Outback
276 Posts
Im having an issue pulling trans temp using torque pro for my 2016 3.6R. I have torque pro and have the trans temp 3 and still Im not receiving data. I have the kobra wifi obd2 transponder. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,927 Posts
Looking for the AT temp that triggers the dash light.
While not explicit, the Legacy/Outback Factory Service Manual suggests that the CVT warning light threshold is 125-130 C (257-266 F). FWIW, the highest CVT fluid temperature I've observed in our 2015 Legacy 2.5 (sustained cruising across south Texas on I-10 at ~75 mph on a 100+ degree day) was ~217 F.

I have torque pro and have the trans temp 3 and still Im not receiving data.
As posted earlier, ActiveOBD (free Android app) or the ActiveOBD plug-in (not free) for Torque Pro will properly display Legacy/Outback CVT fluid temperature.

Reactions: 1454

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im having an issue pulling trans temp using torque pro for my 2016 3.6R. I have torque pro and have the trans temp 3 and still Im not receiving data. I have the kobra wifi obd2 transponder. Any help would be appreciated.
See ammcinnis post above. When I use it, I use the plugin for torque since I like the torque app better. Once the plugin is downloaded, everything seemed to work for me.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium
302 Posts
As noted, ActiveOBD is what you want. Use the free app to see what sort of data you can pull and then pay for the Torque plug-in if you want to have it all in Torque.

Here's an old Torque screenshot I took when I was tinkering with data and display types, including CVT fluid temperature. Again, CVT fluid temp and some other categories are only available in Torque if you have the ActiveOBD plug-in:

·
Registered
2016 3.6R Outback
276 Posts
I have the activeobd on torque pro and still not getting the cvt temp. What transponder does everyone have? I have the Kobra WiFi adaptot

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium
302 Posts
I have the activeobd on torque pro and still not getting the cvt temp. What transponder does everyone have? I have the Kobra WiFi adaptot
I have a BAFX scan tool (this one) using Bluetooth.

First, you need to enable the readings you want available in Torque. Open Torque and go to the ActiveOBD TQ option (it's a blue needle gauge icon). Scroll down and check AT/CVT Fluid temperature. After you've checked the readings you want, exit Torque entirely and re-launch it. Now when you go to add a display in Torque, you should see [ACTOBD]AT/CVT Fluid temperature as a list item.

·
Registered
2016 3.6R Outback
276 Posts
Commiecat, mind if I pm you about this. I have Torque Pro and ActiveOBD set to connect using Torque and I dont have those options. I should state that I have a Galxy S6 and Galaxy Tab S3.
Thanks.

·
Registered
6,927 Posts
I have Torque Pro and ActiveOBD ...
But did you purchase the ActiveOBD plug-in for Torque Pro? The plug-in is separate from the (free) ActiveOBD app.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts