Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2016 OB 3.6R - Carbide Gray
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Commiecat, mind if I pm you about this. I have Torque Pro and ActiveOBD set to connect using Torque and I dont have those options. I should state that I have a Galxy S6 and Galaxy Tab S3.
Thanks.
You will get the list in the second photo when you "add display" under torque. Also, iirc, you have to enable full plug in access for it to work.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium
302 Posts
Commiecat, mind if I pm you about this. I have Torque Pro and ActiveOBD set to connect using Torque and I dont have those options. I should state that I have a Galxy S6 and Galaxy Tab S3.
Thanks.
Sure thing, I'll try to take some screenshots with the vehicle running later today. Like @ammcinnis said, you need to purchase the ActiveOBD plugin (link) to have those options within Torque. Use the free app first (link) to ensure it can access the data that you want before buying the plugin.

Install the free app if not done already. Pair your phone with your OBD adapter while the car is running and check the readings within ActiveOBD. Swipe left from the main screen to see the temperatures available, which should be: CVT fluid, intake air, manifold air, and catalyst.

If you see data being read then you should be set and getting the values in the Torque plugin would be a matter of both enabling and displaying the correct data points. It's a long list sorted alphabetically with some items being truncated so they may not be where you'd expect them. I bolded the exact titles for the CVTF in my earlier post.

If you can't see any data in the ActiveOBD app then there might be something incompatible with your OBD adapter.

·
Registered
2016 3.6R Outback
276 Posts
Sure thing, I'll try to take some screenshots with the vehicle running later today. Like @ammcinnis said, you need to purchase the ActiveOBD plugin (link) to have those options within Torque. Use the free app first (link) to ensure it can access the data that you want before buying the plugin.

Install the free app if not done already. Pair your phone with your OBD adapter while the car is running and check the readings within ActiveOBD. Swipe left from the main screen to see the temperatures available, which should be: CVT fluid, intake air, manifold air, and catalyst.

If you see data being read then you should be set and getting the values in the Torque plugin would be a matter of both enabling and displaying the correct data points. It's a long list sorted alphabetically with some items being truncated so they may not be where you'd expect them. I bolded the exact titles for the CVTF in my earlier post.

If you can't see any data in the ActiveOBD app then there might be something incompatible with your OBD adapter.
Thanks. I had done what you've mentioned above with the free ActiveOBD was it not reading the CVT temp. Went ahead and ordered the OBD2 dongle you provided the link for to see if it was the Kobra WiFi dongle I have that is giving me issues.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,927 Posts
FWIW, I have been successfully using an OBDLink LX OBD-to-Bluetooth adapter in both our Legacy and Outback for more than two years. It's slightly more expensive (at about $50) than some of the no-name imports, but it's a quality piece of hardware with updatable firmware and draws less than 2 ma dark current. Recommended.

·
Registered
2016 3.6R Outback
276 Posts
You will get the list in the second photo when you "add display" under torque. Also, iirc, you have to enable full plug in access for it to work.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Thanks. I only have the activeobd with torque peo. Par of the issue was my obd2 dongle. The one commiecat recommended worked and I can read my CVT temp but only in activeobd. I dont have the options for cvt temp in torque. I have enabled full access by all plugins.

·
Registered
2016 OB 3.6R - Carbide Gray
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks. I only have the activeobd with torque peo. Par of the issue was my obd2 dongle. The one commiecat recommended worked and I can read my CVT temp but only in activeobd. I dont have the options for cvt temp in torque. I have enabled full access by all plugins.
You have to buy the activeOBD plugin or you won't be able to read them in Torque. It's a 5 dollar plugin, well worth the money for the work that the developers do.

·
Registered
2016 3.6R Outback
276 Posts
Thanks commiecat and 1454, I was able to get everything to work... I had not bought ActiveOBD TQ, I was just using the free version on Torque Pro. Now I have the trans, oil, and coolant temps easily accessible for when I go offroading.

·
Registered
6,927 Posts

·
Registered
2016 3.6R Outback
276 Posts
(Bangs head on wall.) How many times did we have to say it?
Some people may have just been referring it to ActiveOBD and there were two, but sometimes boneheaded things like these happen and all I can do is laugh at myself. Anyways not going to get into an argument over in a forum. I really appreciate everyone's help!

·
Registered
2015 Outback Premium
188 Posts
What are you using for the OBD plug in to send data to Torque? VGate that worked fine in a couple previous cars trips the check engine light with a communication error in my Outback.
Having the same problem with mine. I got Torque Pro and the Active OBD plug-in (pay versions) and a Panlong OBD adapter. Everything worked just fine for ~4 days. Then I started getting the CEL and com error message. If I disconnected the adapter the car would reset after a couple on/off cycles.

I have put the adapter back in and ran the car for a couple days with out using Torque with no problems.

Is there a sequence like start car > wait XXX > Open Torque that I need to follow. I had just been leaving Torque up on the tablet when I would stop some where and shut the car off, then just restart the car when I was ready to leave.

·
Registered
6,927 Posts
Is there a sequence like start car > wait XXX > Open Torque that I need to follow. I had just been leaving Torque up on the tablet when I would stop some where and shut the car off, then just restart the car when I was ready to leave.
Always exit Torque (i.e. Quit) before shutting the engine off. This works every time for me.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Premium
188 Posts
Always exit Torque (i.e. Quit) before shutting the engine off. This works every time for me.
Been doing that and it seemed to work for a while. But today I noticed that the last of the blue com indicators was taking a long time to go solid. And after a couple tries it gave me the check engine BS again. Looks like I need to get a better adapter like the OBDLink LX that you use.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Unlimited 2.0D CVT
26 Posts
...And after a couple tries it gave me the check engine BS again. Looks like I need to get a better adapter like the OBDLink LX that you use...
You may want to configure the communication protocol to ISO 15765-4 CAN, 11 bit ID, 500 Kbaud instead of "auto" (in Torque, that's in the advanced settings of the vehicle profile editor); that resolved the sporadic BS check engine light for me.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Premium
188 Posts
You may want to configure the communication protocol to ISO 15765-4 CAN, 11 bit ID, 500 Kbaud instead of "auto" (in Torque, that's in the advanced settings of the vehicle profile editor); that resolved the sporadic BS check engine light for me.
Thanks, That seems to be the answer. Been using it for a week now with no problems.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Premium
188 Posts
Ok, another Torque question. With the single digit temps around here recently, every time I start up Torque I am getting a voice message from my tablet "Caution, roads may be icy" which is the same as what appears on the dash. How is this happening?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Try ActiveOBD (for Android) instead. It's free, Subaru-centric, and includes both CVT temperature and transfer clutch duty cycle in the standard PID set.
We have a 2020 outback and got a obd2 LX. I have connected Bluetooth, installed active obd and the only thing that shows up are the same as car info that is already on the head unit. Cvt temperature is ----. Dashes. I contacted support email, no response. Put a rating in the app, no reply. Can't figure out what to do. Is it my android? is it the 2020 outback? I purchased the torque pro and tried to add a new gauge and can't figure out how to tell the gauge to point to the PID(did find the PID for trans temp in other) Frustrating.

·
Registered
6,927 Posts
Can't figure out what to do. Is it my android? is it the 2020 outback?
I don't know, because I haven't tried it, but I suspect that MY 2020 is different than earlier years. The CVT fluid temp parameter is difficult to access. ActiveOBD (also the ActiveOBD TQ plug-in) is just about the only app I know that will access it. Does ActiveOBD display anything (i.e. the basic parameters).

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't know, because I haven't tried it, but I suspect that MY 2020 is different than earlier years. The CVT fluid temp parameter is difficult to access. ActiveOBD (also the ActiveOBD TQ plug-in) is just about the only app I know that will access it. Does ActiveOBD display anything (i.e. the basic parameters).
Active ODB does display the same parameters available on the "car info" button on the head unit. I.E. coolant temp, oil temp, etc. When I look at the description of ActiveODB TQ on play store, it indicates that it is for up to MY2018 and in the description: ATTENTION ! THIS IS A LEGACY (OLD) SOFTWARE, DOWNLOAD IT ONLY IF 100% SURE. THE PRICE IS REDUCED (SALE OUT) I suppose for $.99 I could try it.

·
Registered
6,927 Posts
... in the description: ATTENTION ! THIS IS A LEGACY (OLD) SOFTWARE, DOWNLOAD IT ONLY IF 100% SURE. THE PRICE IS REDUCED (SALE OUT) I suppose for $.99 I could try it.
I would tend to believe the seller's disclaimer.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts