Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
JDM 2008 BP 9 Outback 2.5i Limited
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks:
If anyone's contemplating doing the clock relocation down to the ashtray port in the centre console, you'll probably have discovered by now that the OEM bezel from Subaru that allows for this was discontinued some time back. A US company — Import Image Racing — still sells an aftermarket one, but I wanted to let people know that the one I bought from them is of very poor finish quality indeed. It looks like it's been 3-D printed, but the surface is rough, pockmarked and in no way of adequate finish to go into the console.

You could sand it all back and give it some kind of clear coat, but frankly, it was easier just to consign it to the bin and hunt down a used OEM item on the internet. I just wanted to spare others the disappointment I suffered when I opened the package...

·
Premium Member
2006 Outback Sedan LLBean
549 Posts
Hi folks:
If anyone's contemplating doing the clock relocation down to the ashtray port in the centre console, you'll probably have discovered by now that the OEM bezel from Subaru that allows for this was discontinued some time back. A US company — Import Image Racing — still sells an aftermarket one, but I wanted to let people know that the one I bought from them is of very poor finish quality indeed. It looks like it's been 3-D printed, but the surface is rough, pockmarked and in no way of adequate finish to go into the console.

You could sand it all back and give it some kind of clear coat, but frankly, it was easier just to consign it to the bin and hunt down a used OEM item on the internet. I just wanted to spare others the disappointment I suffered when I opened the package...
Pics?

Sent from my V35-ThinQ using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,485 Posts
I would send them feedback about it. Possible it was a bad print (which is likely given ABS is temperamental), but if there's a QA problem, they'd probably like to know about it.

And @Optimus8304 , you still have to epoxy it to the bezel. Ideally, printing some spring-tabs into the unit would be best, but cost/benefit likely says no.

·
Registered
JDM 2008 BP 9 Outback 2.5i Limited
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would send them feedback about it. Possible it was a bad print (which is likely given ABS is temperamental), but if there's a QA problem, they'd probably like to know about it.

And @Optimus8304 , you still have to epoxy it to the bezel. Ideally, printing some spring-tabs into the unit would be best, but cost/benefit likely says no.
Yeah, I’ve let them know about it, and sent them pics.

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i
248 Posts
Wow...yeah, that looks like crap. Have seen another one that looked pretty decent. Not sure who it was from though. I think Tom Clevenger (@Tomahulk on Instagram) has one in his car...just don't recall who he said he got it from.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts