Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know anything about this company and the panels it sells, or can recommend high quality panels? I need to replace my passenger fender and mirror after a deer ran into the side of my car at 65 MPH....although I'm not sure if which one of us was doing 65 :rolleyes:
Also anyone deal with safelite auto glass? I can get the windshield done for $250 which seems pretty cheap.
Going to have to fix a dent in both doors too. The rear door should pretty much just pop out, but the front will take some work.
Dang deer are stupid animals.

Auto Parts and Accessories Catalog - 2003 Subaru Outback - 2003 Subaru Outback Fender

Here's the damage to the car

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hi there!

Check with Rockauto.com on the mirror. I've had good luck from them. For sheet metal, I've not bought any in a while, but most of it is "okay". They mostly fit, but I've seen body lines not stamped well enough, holes that don't quite line up, etc. Expect to do some light work to an aftermarket part.

The windshield in my S-10, 5 years ago, was $172 installed. That's a smaller, more common piece of glass (S-10 trucks being as common as lint -- that's a good thing for buying parts!). $250 doesn't sound outrageous.

You might also try car-part.com for body parts. I've managed to locate and buy crash parts that way before, and since they're salvage parts it is most likely a factory part (unless the donor's had a replacement part already...) Heck, you might get lucky and find one the right color.

In KY comprehensive insurance covers glass breakage with no deductible. If you haven't done so, you might check with your insurance company before buying the glass or other parts in case part of all of it is covered.

·
Premium Member
11,882 Posts
I took a closer zoomed in look. The dent in the rear door could be popped out with a plunger and vaseline. The front door dent could be popped out from within after removal of the door panel, or by trying a smaller "suction cup" method that would seal on the door really strong. That fender is toast.

You may look up Keystone Automotive in your area. They are affiliated with LKQ and sell new mirrors and mirror assemblies. Can't tell if yours is painted or black but a body shop can shoot the paint if necessary prior to installation pretty cheap. You could even get the replacement fender painted prior to install and that way it would cut paint cost. No masking.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I've used some parts from here Certifit Online Some "nudging" and flexing involved. The guys around here call them "Sorta-fit" instead of Certi-fit. Good prices though. My cars are 9 and 12 years old, so not super concerned about aesthetics. You can read reviews online of course.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies. I did end up ordering a fender ($105) and mirrror ($45) from Rock Auto. I'm sure the fit, and quality will not be the best. :rolleyes:
I was able to "pop" the rear door out by hand somewhat. The front door has a little bit of a crease in it where the strengthening rib is at, that will require a bit more work. There is really no access from the door panel side, so I am going to buy a spot weld stud puller from Eastwood. I have been wanting one anyway, so now's my excuse.
The main reason for doing the work myself, is that I have a $1000 deductible, and I can do all of this for under that amount (except paint). I have a few other little dents, dings, and chips throughout the car, so I will just go ahead and take care of those, and repaint the top half of the car sometiime next year (after winter).
I have most of the tools and the know how from building hot rods, so this is easy compared to some cars I've done before. :7:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hi there!

Thanks for all the replies. I did end up ordering a fender ($105) and mirrror ($45) from Rock Auto. I'm sure the fit, and quality will not be the best. :rolleyes:
I've bought crash parts like mirrors from Rock Auto, and they've been fine. Sheet metal seems to be more problematic, but I've not bought any specifically from RA so I don't know how theirs is.

I am going to buy a spot weld stud puller from Eastwood. I have been wanting one anyway, so now's my excuse.
We've had one for years. It works really well. One can weld studs on the body for pulling, or for putting tension on the steel while hammering, or for localized heat for shrinking (i.e. reducing "oil can").

One thing we found is that you don't need to weld the studs on really strongly (just enough to attach it). They still pull fine, but you can remove them without grinding afterwards. This works better for me than welding the stud really hot, pulling, then cutting off the stem and grinding the rest away. I've also been able to re-use studs like that.

Also, as goofy as it looked, we did try the "Pops-A-Dent" tool from AutoZone. $20 gets you a hot glue gun, some plastic discs on 1/4-20 threaded rod, and a C-shaped "bridge". Hot-glue the disc, then use the bridge to apply pulling force on the metal. It sounds dumb, but we were able to use it to (mostly) remove a dent in a motorcycle fuel tank. We didn't want to use the stud gun on the tank, and accessing the dent from the fuel filler neck wasn't a choice, so we gave it the "what do we have to lose?" It worked out nicely.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can see the crease in the door a little better in this picture. You can see how it chipped the paint and how the crease runs down along the length of the door. It will take some massaging. I have an appointment to get my windshield done on Thursday. Supposed to snow like all get out Friday, so I need to Git er done.
Just glad the "A" pillar looks undamaged.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
Rodknock
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing