Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2012 OB 2.5i Ltd
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the oil & filter in my 2012 Outback 2.5i for the first time after 6 months at 3100 miles. I added 4.4 Qt according to the user's manual and a genuine Subaru filter. However the oil dipstick shows oil barely at the low lever mark. I checked it multiple times after letting the car sit for a while, taking a drive around the block, letting the engine cool overnight, etc etc. Still the dipstick only at low level mark. Is this normal ? Should I add more oil ?
Thanks.

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT, 1984 Porsche 944
277 Posts
Yes, you should add more oil.

Two things here: One, the owners manual published the approximate amount you can add to the sump after an oil change. A completely dry engine (such as one that is fresh off the assembly line or rebuilt) actually holds more.

Second, did your 4.4qts include the filter? The filter holds quite a bit of oil. Remember, the 4.4 number is for the engine sump, not the entire oiling system.

For reference, my oil changes for my 2.5i require almost an entire 5qt jug.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Also make sure you are reading that stick correctly. It is easy to get a false low reading from a 2.5 if you don't wait long enough.

Best measurement is on a cold engine first thing in the morning, next best is after the engine has been stopped for at least 5-10min.

After you clean the stick and plant it to take a reading, give it a 3-count before drawing it to read.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited/2.5L/CVT
394 Posts
According to the industry standard, "Chek Chart" guide, the refill capacity for the 2010-2013, 2.5L engine - including the standard filter - is 4.4 qts. I just did an oil and filter change using an oversized Amsoil EAO-20 filter (the bigger one specified for the 3.6L, V-6.) It took approx 4.75 quarts to fill right up to the dot on the dipstick.

TS

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback PZEV,2010 Impreza 2.5i
533 Posts
According to the industry standard, "Chek Chart" guide, the refill capacity for the 2010-2013, 2.5L engine - including the standard filter - is 4.4 qts. I just did an oil and filter change using an oversized Amsoil EAO-20 filter (the bigger one specified for the 3.6L, V-6.) It took approx 4.75 quarts to fill right up to the dot on the dipstick.

TS

TooSlick, when you use H6 filter on H4, don't you run into the risk of cooking oil as filter gets too close to the exhaust line?

·
Registered
13 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT
340 Posts
Are you guys reading the US qt chart?

My manual for my 2013 2.5 states

Changing the oil and oil filter

5.1 US qt
4.8 Liters
4.2 Imp qt

I just changed mine yesterday and 5 US qt brought it up about 1/16 of an inch below the full mark hole

·
Registered
2012 OB 2.5i Ltd
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2012 2.5 states this -
"Changing the oil and oil filter: 4.4 US qt (4.2 liters, 3.7 imp qt)"

If majority of folks are in fact adding 5 qts, I think it would be a good idea to ask SIA to verify the numbers in the user's manual.

Are you guys reading the US qt chart?

My manual for my 2013 2.5 states

Changing the oil and oil filter

5.1 US qt
4.8 Liters
4.2 Imp qt

I just changed mine yesterday and 5 US qt brought it up about 1/16 of an inch below the full mark hole

·
Registered
394 Posts
PJAP,

The oil is flowing through the filter at a very high rate, ie gallons per minute. So even if the filter canister is a bit hotter from being closer to the exhaust pipe, there's very little heat transfer to the oil. The reason for using the smaller diameter filter is primarily one of safety. It's very easy to burn yourself while removing the larger diameter filter and screwing on the replacement. You just have to take your time and be careful. I also wear a thin rubber glove so I don't singe my knuckles.

The standard filter is very small and I'm running 15,000 mile service intervals with Amsoil. So I like using a higher capacity, less restrictive (due to more pleat area), filter, which also increases the effective sump capacity by ~ 0.25 quarts.

TS

·
Registered
234 Posts
2012 uses a different filter than 2013. 13 being a touch bigger. I have notice that looking at the dip stick after a change it show different on each side of the stick. Weird? I always fill with 4.5 QTs and check the next morning. It's always full. I change every 7K and never use a drop between services with Amsoil.

·
Registered
13 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT
340 Posts
2012 uses a different filter than 2013. 13 being a touch bigger. I have notice that looking at the dip stick after a change it show different on each side of the stick. Weird? I always fill with 4.5 QTs and check the next morning. It's always full. I change every 7K and never use a drop between services with Amsoil.
That's because the stick doesn't enter the pan straight down, it enters on an angle so the side of the stick that is facing down shows a slightly higher reading

·
Registered
394 Posts
Amsoils' product selection guide lists the oil capacity of the 2013 models with the 2.5L, "FB25" engine as being 5.1 quarts. So that's different from the 2010-2012 models. This engine also specs a 0w-20 synthetic as the recommended oil. So that's different too. My bad.

TS

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback 2.5i-Auto. 2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT Premium, Cypress Green
550 Posts
Careful. 2012 and 2013 are two different engines with different sump capacities. Go by your owner's manual.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts