Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning,

I would like to get some opinions on whether something I have recently noticed about my Outback is normal or not.

The car is an automatic and has 76,000 miles on it. I have performed the routine maintenance. Lately, if I am noticing a strange hesitation when accelerating. It happens most often if I am stopped at an intersection, and I am turning left of right. I hit the gas and then there is a slight delay followed by a noticeable lurch. It does not seem like the transmission slipping, but it feels like something is slipping and then catches and moves the car forward more quickly/forcefully. I want to call it a clunk when it catches, but it is not that significant. There is a soft feeling like something just engaged. It also happens when I go from 25 mph down to 5-10 mph and then hit thr accelerator. Could it be the viscous coupling? Transmission? Thank you in advance for any advice.

Chris

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,304 Posts
Age and type of ATF?

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
Maybe check the front driveshafts?

Sometimes one of those shafts can pop out of the transmission slightly, which means the car can't transfer any power to the front wheels. The car normally puts quite a lot of output to the front wheels. When that doesn't work during a take-off from standstill, the car will (after a brief pause) redirect that power to the rear wheels.

It's unusual to have that problem with so few miles and without any recent work done, so I'm not particularly convinced by my own diagnosis, but the symptoms fit reasonably well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe check the front driveshafts?

Sometimes one of those shafts can pop out of the transmission slightly, which means the car can't transfer any power to the front wheels. The car normally puts quite a lot of output to the front wheels. When that doesn't work during a take-off from standstill, the car will (after a brief pause) redirect that power to the rear wheels.

It's unusual to have that problem with so few miles and without any recent work done, so I'm not particularly convinced by my own diagnosis, but the symptoms fit reasonably well.
Thank you. I will take a look.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,491 Posts
minor misses happen at stops signs from PCV valves and engine grounds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
#2 describes the behavior well. I will investigate it further. Go to the dealer for a TCU reset? Thank you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts