Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I attended a new owner's night at my dealer .

The guy said something about AC that I do not understand .

He said one should keep the AC on all the time. Is this true ? I rarely turn it on ...

He said if not used often, the AC could freeze which can lead to an expensice repair.

Did he mean turn the knob away from 'off'? keep the AC running all the time ?

I am confused .

·
Registered
557 Posts
I think he meant that the system is designed to be used.

And that if not used "regularly" there could be issues with it not working later down the line.

...like running the AC allows parts to be lubricated or something similar.

Personally, I typically run my AC a few times a month for approx 30 or 40 miles during the cooler/colder months to ensure the system is cycling whatever needs cycling :)

Joel

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think he meant that the system is designed to be used.

And that if not used "regularly" there could be issues with it not working later down the line.

...like running the AC allows parts to be lubricated or something similar.

Personally, I typically run my AC a few times a month for approx 30 or 40 miles during the cooler/colder months to ensure the system is cycling whatever needs cycling :)

Joel
The coolant contains the lubricant in A/C systems, so doing this is a good idea. Running the defrost cycle in many modern cars also runs the A/C, so if your car does this, it's probably getting more of a workout than one would think in cold weather.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
the ford f350 i drive for work does no have an AC off position except maybe when everything HVAC related is off. the AC ON and MAX buttons just change the air flow. so most of the year i have the floor and face vents selected and unless i turn up the temp, heat, it is cooling the cab. the AC selections just cools it faster and points the cool at my face / body only. who knew?

and for years, over 20, the US car makers have had the AC come on when the defrost is selected. that was not the case in 1990 when i bought my 90 nissan pick up new. when i selected the defrost i had to also turn on the AC. at least we don't have to do that now in a subaru.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess my question is 'AC on' means the 'AC' button is pushed? or it means we need to turn the knob and not have it sit on 'OFF'? so the fan is on all the time?

·
Registered
723 Posts
Yes, the AC is turned "on" when the AC button is pushed. However, the AC is also turned on when the windshield defroster is used. This helps de-fog the windows by removing moisture from the car's interior.

Thus, if you use your AC in the summer and the defroster in the winter you should be covered.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
but if the konb that controls the fan is set at 'off' position, nothing is on, right?

should we turn the knob away from 'OFF'?
Of course. The fan has to be blowing to move air. In any car I've owned with a manual HVAC system the AC button won't do anything unless the fan is on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
iainb
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing