Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
'08 OB automatic
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK< another "silly" question, courtesy of me.

My '09 has heated external mirrors.

Since I do not know HOW that works, I wonder if placing those stick-on convex mirrors on the surface of the mirror will cause the heater to not work properly.

Any thoughts or experience with this??

Thanks.

·
Registered
18,711 Posts
Hi Jen

Interesting -- there's been at least one post, if not two, recently with the same question. And the answers have been -- no problem. Many people use them. (I keep saying I'm going to do the same . .)

However, I would use the smallest convex mirror that is still functional, so as to leave as much of the mirror in it's original state. (Any heat build up will still be dissipated through the exposed mirror rather than trapped, to a degree, underneath the convex mirror.)

The heated mirrors are simply mirror glass with a small grid of "printed" heater wires on the back. It's very much like the defroster "wires" on the rear window, except that the glass is silvered to make it a mirror. Works the same. In fact, at least on my 07, the mirror heaters work with the rear window defroster.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
I haven't had mine long but I have no issues.

Stuff on cars is usually designed to be in 140 degree heat which I'm guessing is hotter than the mirrors get in cold weather.

I wondered about this too though for what that is worth. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts