Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 outback legacy OBW 2.5 5spd
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend wishes our 97 legacy obw was slightly taller. I've read a little bit about putting forester struts on the legacys for a little height increase. I didn't want to do a crazy lift that would throw my CV axle angles off or any other major problems. Input on this guys?

·
Registered
98 obw 2.5dohc..auto & 99 obw 2.5dohc...auto
147 Posts
Forester suspension should raise you about 1-2 inches. You can add a set of oversized tires that would bring you up another inch or so. That's probably the easiest, cheapest, and most reliable set up you could get. Anyone else wanna back me up?

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,390 Posts
yeah what he said is a good and easy start.

new struts/springs would be a good idea anyway at this age and give you the extra lift if you chose appropriate parts.

larger wheel/tire combo can gain you some as well.

subtle solutions had 1" spacers available at one point, maybe still do.

you can also get lift kits for these vehicles, some are 2". that would be a good option if your struts are already in good shape or recently replaced.
SJR lifts
or Hi Guys are two folks that make lifts for that platform - they are both members of USMB.

·
Registered
98 Legacy Outback/2.5L/5MT/173k and counting...
19 Posts
Yeah i always wondered when doing the the forester struts and bigger tires do you have to change anything else like brake lines fuel lines abs sensor wires? Or is it just a direct swap

·
Registered
1999 Legacy Outback Limited, EJ25D, 5 Speed Manual
4 Posts
IIRC, it is recommended you rotate the brake line just to keep it out of harms way. I think the retainer on the strut assembly is in a different location for the Foz than the OB.

·
Registered
96 Legacy OBW, EJ22 swap, 2" suspension lift, 215/75r15, HIDs, 06 WRX interior swap
335 Posts
I've got 2" of suspension lift and did nothing fancy with brake lines. Body lifts is where you'll run into fuel line, exhaust, intake, steer shaft mounting problems.

Fozzy struts use a C style bracket while ours use the kind that the brake line is routed through. I still fit the line in the C bracket in the rear and used the same c clip and it seems to hold quite securely! Now front fuzzy brackets may be bolt in like 2nd gen OBs? I only have rear fozzy struts. I'm ALL outback in the front!!!

Check out this thread I wrote up. I think I disproved a lot of myths about these same questions you have :) http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/97-offroad-tech/49047-another-1st-gen-lift-option-pic.html

·
Registered
96 Legacy OBW, EJ22 swap, 2" suspension lift, 215/75r15, HIDs, 06 WRX interior swap
335 Posts
Yes Baja and h6 springs fit gen 1 struts. Not sure of the final lift result. Might hold the strut too tall and you'd get a clunking as it maxes out.

·
Registered
06 OBXT LTD 5spd
33 Posts
After spending hours/days searching the best solution I came up with this: (atleast I like this idea, as I already have 4 new OB struts)

Front:
-Original Outback Struts
-Generation 1 Forester Front Springs
-Generation 1 Forester Front Spring Top Perches

Rear:
-Original Outback Struts
-Generation 2 Forester Rear Springs

The only not tested part of this setup is the Gen 2 Forester rear springs. The set up was done with Gen 1 Forester springs, but sat an inch or so lower in the back. But the Forester Gen 2 rear springs are identical to Gen 1 Forester rears, except they are a little over an inch taller. With theoretically would even things out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts