Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing a lot of research on purchasing an outback the last few months. I originally was considering purchasing new, or a 2010 or newer model. I ruled out the 2010-2011 because of the potential steering wheel shake issue. I have started looking at the 2005-2009 model years, and have read of the head gasket issues, which brings me to my question. How common is head gasket failure in the 2005-2009 outbacks? Is it something that would shy you away from the purchase of a 2009 Outback?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have been doing a lot of research on purchasing an outback the last few months. I originally was considering purchasing new, or a 2010 or newer model. I ruled out the 2010-2011 because of the potential steering wheel shake issue. I have started looking at the 2005-2009 model years, and have read of the head gasket issues, which brings me to my question. How common is head gasket failure in the 2005-2009 outbacks? Is it something that would shy you away from the purchase of a 2009 Outback?
I'm in the research phase myself, and can only state that from my reading, the head gasket problem is one that takes a while (say 70-80K miles) to crop up. Therefore this problem may not be evident yet with 2009 or newer cars. As for Subaru solving this problem.....depends on who you talk to. The salesman where we test drove an Outback assured us that they eliminated the HG problem "several years ago." But, well, he's a car salesman.....

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Turbo models generally avoid the HG issue but can present their own problems if they weren't maintained properly. I got a 2007 that was very well maintained at the original dealership. I couldn't be happier.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
The H6s are also practically free of head gasket issues. Both the XT and H6 are going to command higher prices for the extra power, though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont think I will let the head gasket issue change my mind about purchasing an 09 outback. It does bring up a question about the certified pre-owned warranty though. It seems to be 6yr/100K miles, whichever comes first. Is the 6 years from the time the car was made, or from the time I purchase it used?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
MrFixit1
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing