Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spoke with my mechanic earlier today, and brought up a few things I had wanted to change on my 2001 Outback wagon. I was planning on changing the main headlights to an LED replacement, made by Cougar Motor. His issue was that the bulb would be too long for the plastic cover to screw over it and provide a waterproof seal. Does anyone have any suggestions for something of the same type of bulb, but that won't cause that problem?

I also planned to change the stock speakers in the car to a 6.5" 3-way 300 watt set, two for the front, and two for the rear. He brought up something about the stereo needing the same Ohm rating as the speakers. Can anyone tell me the ohm rating of the stock stereo, and any good replacements that I could get?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Nobody makes an LED bulb compatible with the dust seals on 2nd generation headlight buckets. The bulbs will fit the base mount, but they all hang out the back of the buckets because of the heatsinks required for operation. No seal means dry weather usage only please! (and even then you still get dust and bugs in there)

Better news for the speakers, most automotive audio stuff is made to be compatible at 4Ω, and most gear is tolerant enough that it will work anyway. Worry about the physical fit instead.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
I was planning on changing the main headlights to an LED replacement, made by Cougar Motor. His issue was that the bulb would be too long for the plastic cover to screw over it and provide a waterproof seal. Does anyone have any suggestions for something of the same type of bulb, but that won't cause that problem?
Every driver on the road would thank you kindly not to put an LED or HID bulb into an old halogen designed reflector housing.

Reactions: Bgilly

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,179 Posts
I bought LED high beam replacements for my '01 from Diode Dynamics, and they work fine with the stock headlight cases. The only issue has been getting the controller to fit inside the RH cover - I had to modify the cover to make enough room.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
Every driver on the road would thank you kindly not to put an LED or HID bulb into an old halogen designed reflector housing.
A well known Subaru shop (the owner is exceptional with Subarus) installs them and says what might have been true in the recent past may be changing. He says some newer LED's you can't notice a difference, he installs gobs of them, and none of his customers get high beamed or complaints.

maybe it's because "everyone is doing it" in his area, LOL

·
Registered
2000 Outback Limited, Dual Range 5 Speed
904 Posts
Surely if you readjust the headlight, it would be a non issue.

·
Registered
Outbacks, SVXs, XT6, 4Runner, Celica, Brat, E150s
790 Posts
True with HIDs, False with LEDs. HID bulbs actually have a larger filament than a Halogen, making it virtually impossible to not have extra light cast where you don't want it. LEDs have a smaller point of light output, so a properly made/installed one will not cast any light anywhere beyond where the halogen would.

I have these LED bulbs in our '04 Outback, and will be putting them in our '00. The braided heat sink will fit in almost any housing, and the controllers on these do fit nicely in the housings on the BE/BH.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012KF1XDA

For direct comparison. Halogen:
20170106_190722 by Numbchux, on Flickr

LED:
20170106_194357 by Numbchux, on Flickr

You can see the brightest part of the beam is actually narrower. But when driving down the road, it doesn't seem any different.

From down the driveway. It's worth mentioning that it's important that the lenses are very clear, the lights on my '00 do NOT project like this because they're very cloudy:
20170106_194211 by Numbchux, on Flickr

We've been running this setup for about a year and a half. My wife primarily drives this car, neither of us has ever had anyone flash their high-beams at us. I have had her follow me in traffic with me driving my XT6 or Celica (very low driving position) 3 or 4 times, and other than the color, it doesn't stand out in traffic.

About the same time that I bought these, I bought an AuxBeam LED light bar for the last few miles of our commute that are in deer country with very little other traffic. It's still hanging in my garage....

The 6500k color on them is a bit bluer than I'd like. The higher color temperatures tend not to travel as far, so I don't intend to use them in the high-beam position, but they're great as low beams.

Also, FYI, the voltage regulating that the factory uses for the DRL system makes the LEDs flicker, so you'll probably want to disable that. But that's extremely easy and completely reversable.

Reactions: rasterman
1 - 8 of 8 Posts