Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I want to buy a Subaru Outback GEN3(2005-2009). I want to be with manual gears but have one question. Is Outback with manual gears have VDC? Because all outbacks I looked with manual gears don't have VDC off button. Does it means they don't have VDC or it can't be turn off only. I have looked outbacks with automatic gears and they have VDC off button. So if it don't have VDC button means it don't have or just can't be turned off?
Thank you very much!

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
Some (not all) autos have VDC. Mostly 07-later higher trim cars.

No VDC in USA manual Outbacks through 2008. 2009 has VDC on both auto & manual cars.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some (not all) autos have VDC. Mostly 07-later higher trim cars.

I don't think Subaru put VDC in a manual trans car before 2010.

I forgot mension that I'm looking for benzine outback. And that's mean that all benzine outbacks with manual transmision don't have VDC?

·
Registered
18,420 Posts

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
Hello

I want to buy a Subaru Outback GEN3(2005-2009). I want to be with manual gears but have one question. Is Outback with manual gears have VDC? Because all outbacks I looked with manual gears don't have VDC off button. Does it means they don't have VDC or it can't be turn off only. I have looked outbacks with automatic gears and they have VDC off button. So if it don't have VDC button means it don't have or just can't be turned off?
Thank you very much!
2005 marks the end of the throttle by direct cable from go pedal to the engine. Electronic throttle control was introduced in 2005 in nearly every model at that point.

VDC was the early version of advanced ESC system which made the Subarus more off road capable by controlling wheel spin on wheels that lacked traction. By 2005 pretty much all the cars with electronic drive by wire throttle had systems and similar capabilities that the early VDC provided. MT cars may have been the last to get the more advanced wheel spin limiting ability via ABS but pretty sure the 2005's have it. Subaru calls it Traction Control the ESC part of it is the throttle reduction when wheel spin is detected think highway driving or every day around town in poor road conditions. Turn off the traction control and you eliminate or reduce the throttle reduction enabling you to spin tires without the throttle being cut. This is why you turn off the system when offroading or dealing with a snowed in parking lot etc. The traction control aspect remains given the ABS system will modulate the brake on tires that spin free due to the lack of traction when this happens power is pushed to the opposite tire which may or may not have more traction. This system will modulate brakes around all four tires pending the wheel spin and traction issues. This is what gives the Subaru pretty advanced off road ability beyond just its ability to push a good amount of power to the rear or front end the result is that worst case one tire be it a rear tire or front tire with traction can be sent enough power to move the car.

VDC is the old marketing name used by subaru back in the day. Today they don't really talk about it given since about 2005 all the cars have VDC type capability due to the advanced logic and behavior Subaru gives the ABS system and throttle control.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
The only weakness to the MT and this is the same for pretty much any MT vehicle is that any wheel skid caused by the car being in gear and engine braking being enough to cause a tire to skid is only fixed by the driver either adding throttle to get wheels turning or pressing in the clutch to reduce the engine braking load on the tire/tires that might be skidding. ABS of course tries to keep tires from skidding by pulsing the brake there is no such thing that pulses the clutch to keep wheels from skidding under engine braking.

So as long as you know how to handle a MT in slick conditions where you can induce a skid by simply letting off the throttle while in gear and you react the proper way by either feeding some throttle in to reduce the skid or press the clutch in to reduce the skid caused by the engine braking load then your good.

The Automatics all have some smarts about them today that take steps to reduce engine braking loads placed on the back tires to help avoid the rear tire skid issue that you can cause with the MT.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback Premium | 2007 Outback 2.5i
342 Posts
Not trying to hijack the OP, but do have a related VDC question that could be relevant to the OP.

Is VDC pre-wired into the 05+ automatics - particularly an 07 2.5i?

I know in the older Impreza Outback Sports, for instance, the "Sport" mode we have in the Outback auto trans was available by grounding a certain spot in a certain harness opening.

Similarly, would that be the case for 05-09 Outbacks? Would it just be a matter of getting the switch?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for your answers. I'm in Europe but some things are similar I guess. To find Outback with VDC with manual transmission must be high end equimpent or after 2009. And it defenately must have VDC off button so to be shure in has VDC? Am I right?

·
Registered
18,420 Posts
Thank you for your answers. I'm in Europe but some things are similar I guess. To find Outback with VDC with manual transmission must be high end equimpent or after 2009. And it defenately must have VDC off button so to be shure in has VDC? Am I right?
Not necessarily. You will have to find a source of information on European model Subarus. The cars101 website linked above applies only to cars made for, and sold in, the U.S. market. Cars that are sold in Europe often have notable differences in equipment, a good example being the diesel engine, which is not available in North America. So it's equally possible that VDC was available on manual Outbacks before 2009 on lower trim models, or, conversely, that it wasn't available on any model until some other year.

·
Premium Member
Outback Executive 3.0 MY08 (VTD/VDC/LSD)
915 Posts
2005 marks the end of the throttle by direct cable from go pedal to the engine. Electronic throttle control was introduced in 2005 in nearly every model at that point.

VDC was the early version of advanced ESC system which made the Subarus more off road capable by controlling wheel spin on wheels that lacked traction. By 2005 pretty much all the cars with electronic drive by wire throttle had systems and similar capabilities that the early VDC provided. MT cars may have been the last to get the more advanced wheel spin limiting ability via ABS but pretty sure the 2005's have it. Subaru calls it Traction Control the ESC part of it is the throttle reduction when wheel spin is detected think highway driving or every day around town in poor road conditions. Turn off the traction control and you eliminate or reduce the throttle reduction enabling you to spin tires without the throttle being cut. This is why you turn off the system when offroading or dealing with a snowed in parking lot etc. The traction control aspect remains given the ABS system will modulate the brake on tires that spin free due to the lack of traction when this happens power is pushed to the opposite tire which may or may not have more traction. This system will modulate brakes around all four tires pending the wheel spin and traction issues. This is what gives the Subaru pretty advanced off road ability beyond just its ability to push a good amount of power to the rear or front end the result is that worst case one tire be it a rear tire or front tire with traction can be sent enough power to move the car.

VDC is the old marketing name used by subaru back in the day. Today they don't really talk about it given since about 2005 all the cars have VDC type capability due to the advanced logic and behavior Subaru gives the ABS system and throttle control.
VDC is not an old "marketing name", it is THE marketing name Subaru has used and still uses.

·
Premium Member
Outback Executive 3.0 MY08 (VTD/VDC/LSD)
915 Posts
Thank you for your answers. I'm in Europe but some things are similar I guess. To find Outback with VDC with manual transmission must be high end equimpent or after 2009.
No. In Europe VDC was introduced 1999 with the GX-trim of the 2.5 automatic Outback. The first year didn't have a switch to disable, the next year they added one. In 2009 they made it available for all trims, so you don't need an expensive trim.

And it defenately must have VDC off button so to be shure in has VDC? Am I right?
Yes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts