Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 outback
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 outback, I've got the torque binding problem, I want to replace the center diff, and was wondering is there anywhere other that the dealership or a junkyard to get one? Is there any aftermarket diff available for this car? thanks for any and all help anyone can give!

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
The dealer really isnt a bad source for this part(s). Do you have an auto or a manual. If it is a manual its the dealer or a chance on a used one. Clutch pack parts you can find from other sources.

Have you checked your tires and done the other diagnostics to confirm TB.

·
Registered
2005 outback
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tires are a matched set, and at proper inflation, This car had this problem when I bought it, had it checked at the dealer, their the one that gave me the diagnosis. due to the miles they said they would not replace just the center diff and tried to sell me a complete transmission Which would have cost as much as I gave for the car.

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
Used trannies can be had cheaply, but I would suggest fixing yours.

Auto or manual?

·
Registered
18,193 Posts
Appears to be an automatic: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...bbing-shuttering-when-turning.html#post470713

But it's not clear if it's the 4-speed, or perhaps the 5-speed that uses the VTD transfer mechanism.

It would be strange for a later version of the 4EAT AWD to be stuck in "fully applied" state. The "default" or "failsafe" condition on these is FWD, that is, the AWD transfer clutch is not engaged, whereas in previous years the default is full AWD all the time.

Although, I guess there's a slight chance the car has a carry-over 4EAT from before, as 2005 was somewhat of a transition year. It could also be a mechanical issue in the transfer clutch that inserting the AWD disabling fuse can't overcome.

No information in other posts about trying the multiple ATF change . . . .

·
Registered
2005 outback
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have changed the fluid 4 times, I went to the dealer and used the genuine Subaru fluid, thinking that might make a difference. the transmission is a 4 speed auto and the AWD fuse does make the grabbing stop. I really love the car, I'm a Disabled Vet, the back with the seats down is great because I have a 100 lbs service dog that goes everywhere with me. it has taken me since Oct to get the fluid changed 4 times, I've had a few health problems and don't get to drive the car much.

·
Registered
18,193 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. We can only go by the information that's posted, so the more details, including history, in a thread the better.

If using AWD fuse eliminates the torque bind symptom, then it's not likely a mechanical problem in the multi-plate transfer clutch. (The 4-speed AT does not have a center differential.) Instead, it could be a malfunctioning AWD solenoid ("Duty C") or transfer valve. They are part of the transmission's valve body, and can't be replaced separately as far as I know, but the valve body can be replaced without having to replace the transmission.

From a previous post (http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...bbing-shuttering-when-turning.html#post470713) it doesn't sound as if the dealer did much in the way of actual troubleshooting. Did they provide any more information as to the fault, or was it just that blanket statement?

The source problem might be narrowed down by monitoring the duty cycle control signal from the transmission control module to the AWD solenoid (which controls the hydraulic pressure to the clutch), and checking the hydraulic pressure to the AWD clutch. This would reveal if the signal from the TCM is incorrect to begin with, or if the hydraulic pressure is not consistent with the signal. This would require a scanning device or program that can access the TCM, and a suitable pressure gauge. Subaru dealers, and many good garages, should be equipped to do this.

Are there any other signs of problems; for example, do any of the instrument panel warning lights stay on or flash after the engine is started?

·
Registered
2005 outback
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No dash lights stay on, All the dealer was pushing was a 7000.00 transmission, The dealer also told me the head gaskets were blown and the motor had to come out to fix it, the total bill would have been over 10 grand, I only gave 4000 for the car, my opinion was the dealer was trying to stick it to me, maybe I'm wrong but just seems that way because I have found no sign of a blown or leaking head gasket. Their diagnosis was a bad center diff. if it is in the valve body that would be a much easier fix. I was going to try to fix this myself since the last episode with the dealer left a bad taste in my mouth so to speak!

·
Registered
18,193 Posts
Even if the transfer clutch was itself mechanically defective, it could be replaced without necessarily having to replace the whole transmission. However, depending on the source of replacement parts and the cost of labor, it could turn out to be less expensive overall to replace the whole unit with a used one.

This thread describes two programs (FreeSSM and Romraider Logger) that can be used to monitor the AWD control signal. It's a long thread, but perhaps worth looking through. (Much of the data that's presented pertains to the AWD control.) The programs are free, but their use requires an interface cable that has been available for around $20 on eBay.

If you have a friend that operates a transmission shop, they could perhaps help with the diagnosis, especially in regard to checking the hydraulic pressure going to the transfer clutch. (Checking hydraulic pressure in an automatic transmission shouldn't be strange to them. The AWD pressure test itself might not be something they've done, but it's not much different. The shop should have access to service documentation for this.)

I do think it would be worthwhile to try to narrow down the fault before replacing parts.

If you intend to work on this yourself, I would highly recommend getting the factory service manual for your 2005 from Subaru Technical Information System - Welcome. Or search here for threads and posts on where else it might be available.

·
Registered
2005 outback
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Plain OM, thanks for the information, guess now I have to find out which way would be the most cost effective, I know I can get a used transmission thru LKQ most of the local savage yards around here doesn't have one, I'll talk with the local Transmission shop tomorrow and see if they will do the tests, when I asked about rebuilding it he said he wouldn't touch it, will put a used one in if needed, but said he does not know enough about a Subaru to attempt a rebuild. Thanks for you help, I'll probably be ask many more questions as they come along!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts