Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello SubieDudes,

I just bought and installed the AutoDim mirror with compass. I got it used on eBay. The compass works great, and the green LED (on/off autodim) works as well...but I can't tell if the auto-dimmer works or not.

My question is, is it a subtle difference, or is it very obvious? I tried the test where you cover the mirror's rear light sensor in broad daylight, and the mirror should dim...but I can't tell, if it did or not. HELP!

Thanks,

Jer

·
I need a fog horn, ,
213 Posts
My mirror goes blue when lights are hitting it at night. I see it sometimes during the day- If I'm catching the light the right way.

but yeah- the change in the mirror is pretty obvious.

·
Registered
81 Posts
There is a very noticable difference at night. The mirror will deactivate the auto-dim feature when you place the car in reverse at night.

Kurt

·
Registered
332 Posts
Don't forget to calibrate the compass- your owner's manual has a map of the US with numbered zones & instructions for programming your zone to account for, uh, polar magnetism or whatever it is :)

To test the auto-dim, the key must be switched on. Reach around & cover the sensor facing the windshield (right below where the wires plug into the mirror) to simulate night-time , then shine a flashlight into the sensor you can see from sitting in the driver's seat, to simulate headlights. If it works, you'll know within a few seconds.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I have calibrated it and the compass works great.

I guess I just don't know what to look for on the auto-dim...I tried the "flashlight on front eye/cover the rear eye" method to test, and I can't see any difference. The green LED was on, and the car was not in reverse. Perhaps I have a bad mirror???

Thanks,

Jer

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey Baja Turbo...

...is that cool or what that the mirror brightens up to allow the driver to back up at night into the garage, etc. when you put that car into reverse?!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
Peaty
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing