Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at various OBs. Some of the new features of 2013 is interesting to me. Every other car depreciates after a year. How is it that 2012 OB is priced almost same as 2013 models? Even 2011 models seems to be very close in price. However price starts to drop drastically after 60k miles. Is that everyone's experience? Why are n't one year old cars more discounted? Does it mean that by trading in OBs every year, I will loose nothing to depreciation?

·
Registered
2012 Impreza Sport Ltd 2013 Outback Limited SAP
1,495 Posts
You will loose. The next buyer will loose. The dealership will win.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,565 Posts
So then why can't buy a 2012 car at a discounted price?
Because dealers never voluntarily discount. You have to say "please."

Why would anyone buy a 2012 car if it is priced same as 2013?
Because the 2012 is available with manual tranny and moonroof?

Looby

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Because dealers never voluntarily discount. You have to say "please."

Because the 2012 is available with manual tranny and moonroof?

Looby
Ok Thanks. Now that is a useful response. :29:

What is costco rebate? Is it accepted by all dealers?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is a good price for a 2012 Outback 2.5i Premium? I know the KBB values, they all seem high, and very close to the 2013 prices.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,370 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. Good info. I had gone through the forum once.
What is destination fees? Is it possible to get the dealer to take that off?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok. thanks. Another one: Is it even possible to install on backup camera after market?
If so, what is the downside of doing that? Honda CRV have backup camera come as default. It is an important safety mechanism.

·
Registered
2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
821 Posts
Either do the VIP or take your time in a negotiation that you can drop at any time. Surely you can find a 12 below dealer invoice. That said the stock 13 suspension is noticeably better than on my 11. Good Luck!

You won't go wrong in the OB unless you don't need the AWD and want a tight cornering sport wagon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Either do the VIP or take your time in a negotiation that you can drop at any time. Surely you can find a 12 below dealer invoice. That said the stock 13 suspension is noticeably better than on my 11. Good Luck!

You won't go wrong in the OB unless you don't need the AWD and want a tight cornering sport wagon.
Dealers are offering 13 below invoice. At those prices, 13 seems more attractive than 12. What do you mean by "do the VIP"?

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,370 Posts

·
Registered
2014 2.5 Outback Premium CVT 72,000 mi (previous: 2012 OB 2.5 base 6-MT, totaled at 73,532mi)
534 Posts
I paid zero destination fees. Totally negotiable. (my dealer already took them off as part of their quote: I got 3 dealers to give me their best offer, told all 3 who they were competing against up front).

·
Registered
2012 Impreza Sport Ltd 2013 Outback Limited SAP
1,495 Posts
I paid zero destination fees. Totally negotiable. (my dealer already took them off as part of their quote: I got 3 dealers to give me their best offer, told all 3 who they were competing against up front).
Did you pay MSRP minus the Destination/Delivery charge? If so, it wasn't a free-bee as the cost difference between Invoice and MSRP is greater than the Destination/Delivery Charge. Also some dealers have a separate "Destination" fee over and above that required by Subaru (great profit maker) - was that the case for your purchase.

Never mind, found your original post on this:

The sales department is truly awesome. They had the best price in the PNW, and used absolutely zero pressure sales tactics. It was if I was ordering off a menu, and the choice was mine. I've purchased 3 cars (all used) from new car dealers in the past 10 years and always had to haggle, walk out several times, and deal with the last minute undercoat/pinstripe/upsale garbage. Really, NONE of that. I am still shocked.

They gave me a price over the internet ($23k flat for my car <----) after 2 emails to 3 different dealers, and they stuck to it. The price included destination and everything. There was a $150 doc fee, tax and license. That's it.

Additionally, I called in advance to see if they could get a head start on the paperwork, as my wife had an appointment. We got there, they were ready to go, and we were done in under an hour. I can't recommended them enough for a new car purchase.

Subaru of Spokane
423 W. 3rd Ave, Spokane, WA 99203
866-963-3406
2013 Base Outback has a 22,918 Invoice price and that does include the $795 destination fee. Sorry Charlie; but you actually did pay the destination fee.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Destination fee is the dealers cost to haul the car to their lot on the truck. This is not a fee that is normally knocked off when asked. The dealer might negotiate a price with you that reduces their take and earnings after said fees they paid on the car - but normally a buyer will not get anywhere when they ask if the dealer will not pass on the dealers shipping cost to the buyer.

·
Registered
2013 2.5 Limited Pearl White SAP
63 Posts
I hate the dealer dance. Last car was purchased through a Credit Union buyer service. It was so much better but it had its own set of challenges but a way better experience overall.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts