Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'05 Outback 2.5 XT Limited, '09 Outback Sport, '13 Outback 3.6R Limited w/SAP & Brilliant Brown Pearl
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question regarding the mirror mounted LED turn signal flashers on 2013 SAP's..

I took notice to quite a difference in the amount of lighting/coverage in the SAP LED mirror flashers compared to my 2005 2.5XT which also has LED turn signal flashers in the mirrors..

On the 2013 SAP, only the rearward half of the curved LED housing is utilized, where as the 2005 2.5XT has a much larger LED presence.

I took a series of pictures and wonder if this is the only area that works or is the other half faulty??

Please take a look and see how much of the clear lens your SAP Mirror mounted LED's is using.. Is it using one half?? All of it??

See these pics for reference..

2013 SAP - Side View:

2013 SAP - Another Side View:

2013 SAP - Rear View:

2013 SAP - Front View:

2005 2.5XT - Front View:

2005 2.5XT - Side View:

2005 2.5XT - Rear view:

Steve, Bethlehem, Pa.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
Mine are the same as yours. Only one light compared to the 05's two. Obviously our 13's are defective.:rolleyes:;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just noticed I have the same issue on my 2013 3.6 SAP. Does anyone know if this is a defect that can be repaired or just the way they are made?

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
That's just the way they're made. The mirror mounted signal should be visible from a point in space where it matters (like your "blind spot"). The other 4 signals are in better locations to serve other points in space.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not sure I understand the response above. It appears only about 20% of the light strip actually illuminates and then only at the far left/right outside. It would seem they would only be visible from the sides. Are you saying this is how they are intended to work?

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
I had a Toyota product. They used the same LED mirror in a lot of cars. It was the same way. The light was brightest at the tip, yet it had this long lens that didn't do much. It was one of these:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31qHIT6iypL._SY300_.jpg

I'm taking a pretty good guess that this is not an issue or a defect. It's not a "light strip". It's a big ass lens with a small light source at one end. I do agree that the 2005 images show better light output because it looks like there are are more light sources. This may be a small bit of evidence that there is some "Toyotafication" going on at Subaru. Or simply that the newer mirrors are cheaper to make than the newer ones. That wouldn't be too hard to comprehend. Cars can improve from generation to generation, but some corners have to be cut to meet a price point while still adding features.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts