Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

So we decided to buy a 2018 Premium 2.5i with Pkg 14, and were open to Pop package 1 or 2, or protection pkg 1, or whatever else was already on the car in order to secure one quicker, although all we really want is the premium with eyesight, with no add ons. I called several dealers, got a quote from one (in writing) with a price about 13% off MSRP, gave him a deposit on Sat, and he said that while he did not have the color I wanted, he saw two at other dealers that he hoped to secure.

Today he called me and said he was unable to secure either of those vehicles and was refunding my deposit. So, my questions are:
1) Is it likely that his boss saw the price and is choosing not to honor it? I don't think it's an amazing price, but is fair to both of us I believe. Do the dealerships just trade equivalent cars around at no cost or could the other dealerships have wanted too much for the car making my written quote impossible for my dealership to honor? Just trying to understand the process...
2) How often do dealerships get deliveries and can they see what is in the pipeline a few weeks or a month out? Shouldn't I be able to say "We'll wait if you have one coming in our chosen color and are happy to give you a deposit on it?" He seemed unable to say what would be arriving in the next few weeks.
3) Is it hard to get a dealer to order a car from the factory for you matching your exact specifications, and if you do order one, can you still get a 'sale' price or are they always charged at full MSRP? No dealer has offered this option - it seems like it's 'here is what we have on the lot - take it or leave it.' If I'm spending 30K+, shouldn't I be able to get exactly what i want, or are these cars in short supply and I'll have to compromise?

Getting frustrated... suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
3,039 Posts
We have a couple of Subie sales associates who can give you better answers but in short:

Subies sell themselves for the most part. A dealer knows his cars will sell so why go through the paperwork hassle just to give a dealer a car?

You can always special order a car. All dealers do it and the price is the same negotiated price that you'd be able to get if it were setting on the lot. Again, the car will sell if you don't want it, even after you special ordered it. Give them a deposit, they give you a VON and you wait around 8 weeks. Easy peasy.

Cars in the pipeline are known but the packages and options might not be exactly what you want or the pipeline car was a special order for someone else. They can do either port or dealer installation of the options to bring that car into line with what you want.

I special ordered mine but about 3 weeks the dealer called and said that one in their pipeline could have the options and packages I wanted port installed and when done, it was the exact car I ordered. Again, easy peasy but not every car in the pipeline is available.

Overall, I don't think you're getting hosed by the dealer but I don't think he's explaining everything as clearly as possible.

Hopefully our resident salesmen will chime in and part the clouds so that rays of sun may shine down upon you.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,165 Posts
you might have to order what you want.

I see you are in a area of the world similar to @Borsig who after many posts just got the car he specifically wanted,
... and he might have some advice.

______

as far as the 2 cars on the other dealer lots on the printed inventory. it is up to those dealership managers to approve of the swap.

so if they did not want to, or they thought "our own local" customers will want those cars and I can sell them FAST here, they would turn it down.

(this time of year makes for high demand for subarus,...outbacks with a refresh and winter coming does not help the buyer.)

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,728 Posts
Our 2015 Legacy was a factory order, and our 2016 Outback (a Premium with option 14) was reserved for us while still in transit to the dealer.

Placing a factory order (a.k.a. a "sold order") is easy, and the negotiated price should be the same as a vehicle sold off the lot. A customer deposit is required by SOA for sold orders, and they even get manufacturing priority over dealer stock orders. Typical delivery is 6 to 10 weeks from date of order. Sold orders are best suited to simple, cash purchases, IMO, since finance terms (e.g. 0% interest) and trade-in value are set at the time of delivery, not at the time of order.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,292 Posts
Hello,

So we decided to buy a 2018 Premium 2.5i with Pkg 14, and were open to Pop package 1 or 2, or protection pkg 1, or whatever else was already on the car in order to secure one quicker, although all we really want is the premium with eyesight, with no add ons. I called several dealers, got a quote from one (in writing) with a price about 13% off MSRP, gave him a deposit on Sat, and he said that while he did not have the color I wanted, he saw two at other dealers that he hoped to secure.

Today he called me and said he was unable to secure either of those vehicles and was refunding my deposit. So, my questions are:
1) Is it likely that his boss saw the price and is choosing not to honor it? I don't think it's an amazing price, but is fair to both of us I believe. Do the dealerships just trade equivalent cars around at no cost or could the other dealerships have wanted too much for the car making my written quote impossible for my dealership to honor? Just trying to understand the process...
2) How often do dealerships get deliveries and can they see what is in the pipeline a few weeks or a month out? Shouldn't I be able to say "We'll wait if you have one coming in our chosen color and are happy to give you a deposit on it?" He seemed unable to say what would be arriving in the next few weeks.
3) Is it hard to get a dealer to order a car from the factory for you matching your exact specifications, and if you do order one, can you still get a 'sale' price or are they always charged at full MSRP? No dealer has offered this option - it seems like it's 'here is what we have on the lot - take it or leave it.' If I'm spending 30K+, shouldn't I be able to get exactly what i want, or are these cars in short supply and I'll have to compromise?

Getting frustrated... suggestions?

Thanks!
1: Probably not. When we do dealer trades - which is what he was hoping to do - it's up to the OTHER dealership. We've run into that situation a few times ourselves here, where we've sent someone to finance and done everything based upon selling a certain car that was at another dealership, and then had to trade with someone else when that specific car wasn't available. We rarely have to reverse a deal - if you're serious about buying a car, I don't take a deposit, I send you through finance and actually do what I can to secure that deal then and there.

2: We have a pipeline of cars, so there's always some coming in. If you're in the northeast, then the salesman may not know what they have coming in, as the dealerships there get whatever the distributor says they get. The rest of the country ... I can check my pipeline and I have access to the pipelines of every dealership within 400 miles of here. (Actually, I conceivably can check every dealership in the country, but there's not much point in that.)

3: Again, if you're in the northeast, it might be a pain. The rest of the country - just say, hey, I want to order the car with these accessories on it. It takes 6 - 10 weeks, and then the car comes in with your name on it. 13% off MSRP is a little steep for me, since those are (vicinity) $31K cars without that much mark-up on them - I'll typically do a couple hundred over invoice plus doc on an ordered unit. Negotiate your price, sign a worksheet, put the deposit down (which is required by Subaru), and then wait for the car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the responses, I have a better understanding now. I am not quite in the NE - but close, in MD. I found another dealer who is actually a little closer and is quoting 13.5% off MSRP, but again, he has to get the car from another dealership. If he is unsuccessful I will ask him if he can order one with the same specs at the same cost.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just bought our Outback this morning from Heritage Subaru in Owings Mills MD. Very pleasant experience - highly recommend. Dealt with Shawn Davie (general manager) via email first and agreed on a price, then when came in everything was ready... car was washed, gassed up and waiting at the front door. Paperwork was prepared and waiting for our signature. No bait and switch, no upsell, very pleasant and knowledgeable employees, and best price by far of anyone in the MD/DC/VA area of the many I got quotes from. They made it easy which is valuable in its own right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts