Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again

My problem child 02 OB wagon is back to moving again.

I replaced the tranny, with a tranny from a 00 Legacy L, but had to use my crown wheel, due to different gear ratios.

I got the care going again, but that familiar sound of the crown wheel eating the main gear is back again, which tells me that my crown wheel is bad.

I need to use this car immediately. Is there a way of disabling those gears, until I can get a new gear set?

Input is much appreciated.

·
Registered
16,285 Posts
Not sure what parts ("crown wheel"? main gear?) and what power train you are referring to. If the reference is to the crown gear in the differential, then no, it can't be "disabled" and still have the car move.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Unfortunately sounds like the mesh is out, don't know how to adjust it. May need to pull the trans and get a shop to put it right. Sorry. The front diff can not be disabled if it's about the rear can be disabled temporarily.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks once again for all of your contributions plain OM (and everyone else).

Something is making a loud whining noise above 10 MPH. I got the car to 35, but lacked confidence to go any faster.

The whining noise is very similar to the noise I experienced when the powertrain (differential) failed on the old tranny.

I was forced to use the old differential crown gear, due to lack of availability. The gear had two very tiny ticks. one on two different teeth. I deburred the teeth on the crown gear. The teeth looked fine after the deburring, and meshed to the small "main gear" (that runs through the tranny) with no play.

When I first tried to reverse the car, something was causing it to bind. After I tried to reverse, I put it in D and the car lurched forward. I reversed again, and the car went back, but felt like I was riding the brake. I went a bit over 2miles in the car, mostly at about 20 MPH, but did hit 35 for a time. I took the car out another 3/4 mile, and it sounded slightly quieter, but I am not confident about making long distance trips in this car.

Besides the powertrain, what else would make a whining noise ?????

·
Registered
16,285 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
plain OM
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing