Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
03 Outback H6 base
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Often overlooked. For me the last time was 4yrs ago. Today I found 30psi... Embossed on the tire: 60psi. Worse yet my Mitz was @ 10psi. (also 60) Last check? unknown....

When did you check yours last?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,479 Posts
I try to vaguely remember to pull it out and check it once every 2 years.

but I travel with a portable pump with me. (hopefully that works).

_____

years ago on a 86 subaru DL wagon (5 speed manual, 4wd high on the button atop the stick)

I have driven on a flattened donut, willing to ruin that vs. ruin the flat regular tire.
(but as I was only going 2 miles to the garage I did not ruin any of them, tire guys were impressed by 1986 subaru choice in spares,...maybe being baked on top of the engine is good for bridgestone spares,....and subaru should go back to it).

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,861 Posts
It's unlikely your spare tire will ever be at the proper inflation to safely carry the required load when you need it. You'd have to check it several times a year, and who actually does that? The solution is to carry a pump in addition to occasionally topping it off.

·
Premium Member
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,353 Posts
Last week - and a pump is always in the back.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R Limited
446 Posts
I check it once a year when I'm putting on my winter wheels. And I always carry a pump in the car.

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback LLBean Wagon
26 Posts
My spare has been consistently retaining 50 psi every time i need it. (6 months) i usually top it off every time i get a new tire. I might have to get a new one, i drove 800 miles in one day on my spare and its now bald.

·
Registered
2016 OBW Premium [prev owned 09,06,03,01 OBW]
329 Posts
I checked mine two weeks ago, when I switched over to my winter tires/rims. Mine was ~30 psi, too (should be 60 or so). I try to remember to check 1-2x/year, but don't always remember. Especially important with the donut spares that rely on high pressure to work properly.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6R
511 Posts
I check my spare everytime I change oil.

I keep spare filters and other items for changing the oil in the spare tire compartment.

I also rotate the tires and measure the circumference of each tire at every oil change.

And I usually have to add air to the spare.

·
Registered
2001 Outback base
24 Posts
Checked today (after seeing this!). I've only had the car since November and I suppose it was time I checked the spare and to see if she had all the gear needed to change a tire. Everything was good except the spare which was at 30 psi--topped it off as recommended at 60.

And I haven't normally kept a pump in my vehicles or had a pump to fill tires (I thought that's what a compressors are for!). What pump do you use?

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium, silver
471 Posts
I have NEVER checked my spare pressure, till I saw this post and got off my butt.

It was at 45, now at 60.

Some PSA’s are useful.

·
Registered
03 Outback H6 base
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Excellent! I knew when I found the low and none results of my own spares that I should post the question. Checking 48hrs later the '94 Mitz has lost 1 1/2#'s. Subaru none.

Keeping a closer eye on them is in my future....

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R Limited
175 Posts
It's unlikely your spare tire will ever be at the proper inflation to safely carry the required load when you need it. You'd have to check it several times a year, and who actually does that? The solution is to carry a pump in addition to occasionally topping it off.
Spot on... The old scout motto "Be Prepared" seems to have been forgotten.

Tire pressure checks "should" occur monthly at minimum, and optimally on a weekly basis or when you refill the gas tank. The process only takes a few moments and can avoid the expense and time of repairs. The key is to have/keep a pressure gauge in the glove box.

Cheers!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts