Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I saw a 98 Legacy Outback Limited on craigslist for pretty cheap I would use it as a fun car to mod out and whatever. But it needs either a engine rebuild or replacement. Now I probably will just rebuild it myself and have the mechanics in my family help.

Now why I came here, what do you think good idea, bad idea? I havent look at it in person yet but I would bring a code reader to see what the computer says, check the heads ect get the vin and run a carfax on it. The car is good condition otherwise, only one small dent on the corner of the bumper.

Any ideas, warnings, or advice? Thanks

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
it is probably going to be bad head gaskets or rod knock, or both.
the 96 - 99 ej25, 2.5L engine, that is in your car is known for head gaskets leaking exhaust into the coolant. and then overheating due to coolant loss. over heat it enough and you get rod knock. it is pretty common for an engine with new head gaskets to develop rond knock in the first 1000 miles.

you CAN rebuild it, but it is a split block so that may be different. but it is generally cheaper and lots quicker to just swap in an engine. you can fine ej25s for 600$ - 1200$, or ej22 engines for 400$ - 800$. the ej22 has a little less power, but it is a much more reliable engine and it will take a lot of abuse. and if you buy the correct year it is an easy swap, no wiring or computer issues. there are some particulars regarding which year engines are preferred and easier but research will fill in the blanks.

so do an ''advanced'' search on ''ej22 swap'' read up on it. if you get too many to read, try searching just the titles.

good used parts can be found at Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market , put in your zip and sort by distance.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok thanks. I've looked at the ej22 swap threads and thought about that I figured it would have bad heads but its only $900 for the car and im sure i could get it lower than that. With the ej22 if i remember correctly it was the '95's or '96's that were best for a swap but ill look into it more

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
sure, get it. Subaru rebuilds generally aren't quick or cost effective but a great option if you want to do it or learn.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like a ej22 from a 95 legacy should be easiest and there are a few in my area ( found them on car-part.com thanks canubaru) so we'll see how it goes

1 - 6 of 6 Posts