Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Outback 2.5i Premium. I am considering aftermarket leather seats for it. I have some questions for anyone who might have done this. I am particularly interested in feedback from anyone who has had it for a long time.

1) What did you get?
2) What did you pay?
3) Where did you get it?
4) Who installed it?
5) How long have you had it?
6) How is it holding up?
7) Does it fit well?
8) Are you happy with it?
9) Would you do it again or do anything differently?

Sorry about all the questions. I appreciate any feedback I might get.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Almost did it on our premium Legacy. $1300 got us real 100% leather and we could pick the color we wanted and if we chose we could have the stitching color choice or change up the center seating spot style etc.

As for wear and quality another family member did this and their seats have been just as good if not better than the stock leather seats we have in the Outback given the quality of the materials on the aftermarket seat cover seem to be a little better.

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
I have a 2012 Outback 2.5i Premium. I am considering aftermarket leather seats for it. I have some questions for anyone who might have done this. I am particularly interested in feedback from anyone who has had it for a long time.

1) What did you get?
2) What did you pay?
3) Where did you get it?
4) Who installed it?
5) How long have you had it?
6) How is it holding up?
7) Does it fit well?
8) Are you happy with it?

Sorry about all the questions. I appreciate any feedback I might get.
I just got my leather recently. I decided to self-install because the shop wanted my car for 2 days. I was willing to pay their $1200 asking price (for Katzkin), but didn't want to deal with the logistics of not having my car for 2 days. The last time I reupholstered a car was in 2002 with the same type of kit. I still had the hog ring pliers I bought for that project.

Answers to your questions (as best as I can right now)
1) Katzkin factory match (black), No upgrades - just the standard kit.
2) $750
3) eBay Private Listing (I don't know why it was private, it's not like I was ordering XXX blu rays or something)
4) self-installed (only back seat done, waiting for more hog rings to come in the mail)
5) just got it, hence the incomplete installation
6) I'm sure it will hold up as well as OEM leather. In fact lots of OEMs use Katzkin.
7) It fits extremely well, just like OEM.
8) Happy so far, and plan to be happy after it's complete. It's more padded than the cloth and feels really good to sit on.
9) The only thing I wanted different was to go with a brown leather, not unlike the saddle brown from the 2013 SAP, but more like what you see in BMWs. That would have cost more since that color is a more premium grade of leather from Katzkin. Additionally, I'd want to source a matching armrest cover. I ordered a black leather armrest cover from Redline Goods. Tried to use an old coupon code that didn't work, but their website gave me 5% off anyway!

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
No - the way the seat covers work - they remove the formed foam which is bolted to the seat frames - then they remove the existing cover which is like a glove over the foam pad. Then they stretch and work the new cover over the foam and mount them back to the seat frames. The carpet on the back of the flipdown seat is on the back of the seat frame that would stay the same

·
Registered
2012 Cypress Green 2.5i Premium CVT w/AWP & Moonroof
36 Posts
I plan to have the Katzkin leather installed. Quoted $1,000 by a local shop with same-day turnaround.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
My old shop sold lots of Katzkin kits and they hold up great. We had deals with the local Toyota, Kia, and Honda dealerships. I don't ever remember having any issue post installation. Most of our issues were from the person responsible for taking care of ordering, DOH!

·
Registered
5 Posts
1) What did you get? Katzkin
2) What did you pay? about $1000, installed
3) Where did you get it? Dealer supplied
4) Who installed it? Through dealer, at time of purchase
5) How long have you had it? 2mths
6) How is it holding up? perfect
7) Does it fit well? yes
8) Are you happy with it? yes
yes, and no.
I got black cloth replaced with mid-grey leather in a sky blue premium, and then bought and fitted (myself) the exact same color center armrest from RedlineGoods. Another dealer lost the sale because he said I 'had to' have black interior, period.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited Magnetite Gray
233 Posts
I got black cloth replaced with mid-grey leather in a sky blue premium
Can you post photos of your interior? And the Katzkin color code? I have a 013 Outback Graphite Gray with Black interior, and I'm considering going with a medium gray Katzkin setup. Would really like to see how it turned out in your vehicle.

·
Registered
2020 Limited XT, Abyss Blue Pearl
158 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread. Just had our leather seat covers installed here. Perfect color match (ivory) to the original fabric. Feels really nice - perforated like the OEM seats and feels like they were meant to be in the car.

We now have a 2.5i Premium 6MT with leather seats, which make it a lot like the '05 Legacy 2.5i Limited wagon we used to have, minus the pano sunroof. Not a lot of these around, and we're very happy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.