Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How good is a Subaru in snowy icy winters? Do they get good mileage? What is a good kind to get if I'm buying used? How many miles per gallon do they get? Any other advice? even if you can only answer one that would be great! thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
8,520 Posts
Welcome! You can use the forum's search feature for specific questions, but here are some general areas to read over:

How good is a Subaru in snowy icy winters?
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/61-general-discussions/442817-why-subaru.html

Do they get good mileage? How many miles per gallon do they get?
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/61-general-discussions/8649-share-your-fuel-mileage.html

What is a good kind to get if I'm buying used?
Many of us here, me included, are very partial to the Gen 3 Outbacks (2005-2009). But I don't know what age and price range you're looking at, so if you ave some requirements there, tell us. If you do look at this generation, there are some quirks to be aware of, so read this thread:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...uestions-buying-gen-3-outback-wagon-6cyl.html

Any other advice?
Just one: Get it looked over carefully by a Subaru-knowledgeable mechanic who you trust before you buy it.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,379 Posts
How good is a Subaru in snowy icy winters? Do they get good mileage? What is a good kind to get if I'm buying used? How many miles per gallon do they get? Any other advice? even if you can only answer one that would be great! thanks!
Depends on what Subaru with what tires. Question too vague to answer.

Depends on what vehicle with which engine, transmission, conditions, and driver. Question too vague to answer.

Depends on your needs. Question too vague to answer.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,754 Posts
adrienne - what's your budget and what are your driving conditions going to be like?

what city are you near?

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited Eyesight - Remote Start - Auto Dimming In/Outside Mirrors
249 Posts
As far as winter driving ... Youtube. There are tons of Youtubes out there of Subaru vs XXX. Granted, these are controlled, professional drivers (maybe), bla bla bla. It should though give you a feel of how Subaru compares to its competition in adverse driving conditions.

As far as mileage ... kind of depends on the engine ... basically however AWD same engine size equivalents pretty much fall within the same range of MPG.

Edit:

Oh ... fuelly.com ... can really help too of getting real world fuel mileage of what folks are getting. Brand, model, engine, year ... boom ... you should get some good averages to really compare giving you realistic expectations.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
3,037 Posts
These other members are asking too many questions to answer your questions. Let me be the beacon of light in the darkness of the night.

The short answer is that Subarus are great in the Winter! In Colorado and other wintery places they're practicaly the state animal, just like mobile homes and satellite antennas are the state bird of Kansas.

Since we've concluded that Subies are great for your needs, the conclusion is that you'll love one. Answering the above just helps fill in the details on which one.

·
Super Moderator
8,520 Posts
These other members are asking too many questions to answer your questions.
Hey! I only asked one.

Since we've concluded that Subies are great for your needs.....
And we'll now be seeing another long posting thread in about two weeks time stating no due diligence was done before purchase, and asking either "what is wrong with my turbo" or "what's all this I hear about head gaskets?".:smile2:

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
3,037 Posts
Hey! I only asked one.

And we'll now be seeing another long posting thread in about two weeks time stating no due diligence was done before purchase, and asking either "what is wrong with my turbo" or "what's all this I hear about head gaskets?".:smile2:
Dude, you're letting a cat drive your car. How serious can we take you?

:hide:

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,163 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,520 Posts
Dude, you're letting a cat drive your car. How serious can we take you?
I'm not letting him drive. It's a matter of accommodating his demands.

He once ran off a coyote when I had him out walking on a leash. In my neighborhood, like most areas in the west, any coyote / cat interaction usually ends badly for the cat.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,163 Posts

He once ran off a coyote when I had him out walking on a leash. In my neighborhood, like most areas in the west, any coyote / cat interaction usually ends badly for the cat.
I am thinking a ocelot or some other big butch beast escaped a actor's house, and mated with the momma of your cat,
...possibly killing and eating half a coyote on the way home.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felid_hybrid

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
3,037 Posts

hey,...Toonces could drive.....about as good as most people.

Watch Toonces the Driving Cat: Revenge From Saturday Night Live - NBC.com
You too? What sort of cult like oddities have I uncovered?

Letting Mr. Whiskers drive the car seems odd. What happens if he sees a bird? What if he suddenly decides to engage in a grooming session or curl up for 18 hrs? Eyesight can only help so much but I do see his paws are roughly at the 10 and 2 positions.

·
Super Moderator
8,520 Posts
I am thinking a ocelot or some other big butch beast escaped a actor's house, and mated with the momma of your cat,
...possibly killing and eating half a coyote on the way home
He is a hybrid, but you're off on the paternal parentage - he's got Serval in him:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savannah_cat

What sort of cult like oddities have I uncovered?
Mr. Nebir is not at all amused that you have referred to members of his pride with words such as "cult" and "oddity".

Be very afraid.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.