Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm looking at a 2012 outback 2.5i premium with 60k miles... A few people are warning me that the cvt transmissions are faulty in them but I don't trust their expertise..
I'm hoping you all could steer me towards or away from this car...

I'm going to trade in my Tacoma because I have a little one on the way and want something that makes my wife happy and me too..

Thanks ahead of time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a 2011 with 68,000 miles and it have been a great car. I did have the dealer do a "drain and fill" on the CVT fluid at 60,000 miles. The CVTs are not generally faulty/bad...Subaru's bearing in the torque converter has been seizing on a small number of the vehicles. Subaru improved the design in 2016 and extended the warranty on 2010-2015 CVTs to 100,000. If you get stalling when coming to a stop, you have a bad bearing and Subaru will replace the torque converter for free with the improved design. There have also been reports of defective transmission valve bodies but this seems to be even rarer. Again, covered under warranty until 100,000 miles. Regardless, proper fluid maintenance is called for to insure long term service. Get the CVT fluid changed after purchase and you should be good to go. At 60,000 miles there is some needed service...spark plugs, front and rear diff fluids, CVT fluid is advisable, as well as oil/filter change and engine/cabin air filters. Brake fluid every 2-3 years is also advised. If you are buying from a Subaru dealer maybe make the service a condition of purchase.

I needed rear brake pads at about 55,000 miles...fronts are still looking good at 68,000.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have an '11 Outback since new. i just turned 105,000 miles and with the exception of the 105K service that requires the timing belt changing and another small issue at around 95K that was injector related IIRC, the car has had nothing more than typical tires, brakes and oil/filter changes. My wife and I love the car and while I have no plans on replacing it were I to do so it would be with another OB. The vehicle is the right size to haul people and things short or long distances and return good fuel economy as well as offering comfort and surprising room. And while the V6 owners will tell you to pass on the flat 4, I'll tell you than I have no regrets. And the 30MPG even at 100K miles is a plus.

Obviously buying from a Subaru dealer has benefits, but I don't know that it offers the only path either.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey all,

I'm looking at a 2012 outback 2.5i premium with 60k miles... A few people are warning me that the cvt transmissions are faulty in them but I don't trust their expertise..
I'm hoping you all could steer me towards or away from this car...

I'm going to trade in my Tacoma because I have a little one on the way and want something that makes my wife happy and me too..

Thanks ahead of time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Generally speaking, CVTs are fine, conditionally relative to regular maintenance. Those who told you that Subaru CVTs are unreliable are either lazy, ignorant, or both. Like the previous posters said, as long as you keep up on maintenance by changing the fluid regularly (have the dealership do it if you aren't confident enough to do it yourself), you will never have to worry about a CVT failure, period. Those who have problems with their CVTs drive them for 150k+ miles on the same fluid and wonder why they break down. Transmission components wear just as engine components do, and likewise require regular fluid changes to prolong their lives. Keep this in mind and you (likely) won't have any issues. Good luck with the buy. I'm 180k strong on my 2010 and love it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
SoobTube
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing