Premium Member
"Betty Drivemeanywhere" aka 2013 Subaru Outback 2.5 AT CVT Ltd w/ Eyesight
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any of you out there who have done all of the following:

1. Bought a 2013 OB before January 18, 2013
  2. Upgraded to Aha
  3. Upgraded your SD card maps to 2012 Q3

If you have done all three, did you do the SD card map update yourself or have the dealer do it? Did you do it before or after the Aha upgrade?

I have tried the steps in the order listed and the Subaru Naviextras toolbox will not read my SD card.

Thanks in advance for any information.

·
Registered
'05 Outback 2.5 XT Limited, '09 Outback Sport, '13 Outback 3.6R Limited w/SAP & Brilliant Brown Pearl
161 Posts
Question, What unit do you have?? Do you have the Harmon/Kardon 440 watt Nav head like shown below??

If so, don't quote me on this but I don't think Subaru has released a update for this Fujitsu-Ten H/K 440w unit.. It uses a different map software.. If you downloaded the one offered at the Subaru site it clearly shows the compatible unit (smaller rectangle unit) that has been updated for like $149.95 or something like that....

Again this is what I know as of now.. Also I now have the Aha upgrade installed as of a couple days ago..

Steve
Bethlehem, Pa.

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5 Ltd with Nav, Eyesite, loaded.
148 Posts
Upgrade Question

Hmmmm I had my navi replaced with the new AHA version just last week. I just assumed the unit had the latest maps. Was I wrong? My new unit reads as follows:

SOFTWARE VERSION
Navigation
19:42/30.03 9.2.3.228133

Audio
04,11,2012 Ver.46.1010

FYI, I photographed the navi head prior to installation from every angle and with every label, marking and connector. Still looking for someone to find a lockout bypass so it will fully function when the vehicle is in motion.

I did discover that my "new" head unit had a label on it that says: "remanufactured"!

·
Registered
'05 Outback 2.5 XT Limited, '09 Outback Sport, '13 Outback 3.6R Limited w/SAP & Brilliant Brown Pearl
161 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Map Update

Why is everything electronic so **** complicated for Subaru?????

Has anyone ever done a successful map update for the 2013 navi system? If so, would you please post some step by step instructions?

We would all appreciate that!

Still looking for a navi bypass fix so that all functions will operate when the vehicle is in motion. If it is of any help, I have photos of all sides and connectors of the 2013 head unit which was apparently manufactured in the Philippines for Fijutsu-ten.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
Does the "new" AHA unit have all the same connections as before?

·
Registered
148 Posts
It appears to, but I was unable to see the old unit that was removed. I also found it interesting that the "new" units with AHA that were being retrofitted were "remanufactured" from older models.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think the units are getting internal work done.. That's why the units are being cored.. This is not just software.. It's a hard firmware with new cmos's or what ever the're using and possibly a daughter board to handle the extra stuff.. I noticed a new connector on the back and it might be related to the recent notice that the dimming mirror can now be replaced with one that has either the dimming/compass only, or the dimming/compass/rear camera screen.. I think the connector might be for that purpose.. TBD..

Don't hold me to this as I don't know how the interface is setup on the new mirror function..

Steve

·
Registered
148 Posts
I can send you a photo of the back of my unit if you would like. You are obviously more technically oriented than I. Any ideas how to bypass the navi so it will work when driving? One company I contacted earlier today, asked a question based upon the wiring diagram I sent them for the Australian version. I can forward that also but would need an email.

·
Registered
161 Posts
None at all.. The last person who tried messed up the software with a homebrew "Hack".. This is going to be an item that will have to be addressed by Subaru as they tout this a a safety feature.. Although I agree it is a bit overboard considering the passenger could be handling the unit controls..

I just would like to see everyone hit Subaru with never ending complaints about selling cars with outdated maps...

Steve

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is the Subaru Naviextras Software able to Read the 2013 OB SD Card after Aha Upgrade?

Question, What unit do you have?? Do you have the Harmon/Kardon 440 watt Nav head like shown below??

If so, don't quote me on this but I don't think Subaru has released a update for this Fujitsu-Ten H/K 440w unit.. It uses a different map software.. If you downloaded the one offered at the Subaru site it clearly shows the compatible unit (smaller rectangle unit) that has been updated for like $149.95 or something like that....

Again this is what I know as of now.. Also I now have the Aha upgrade installed as of a couple days ago..

Steve
Bethlehem, Pa.
Everyone, thank you for your responses.

Steve, I do have the head unit that you show in your picture.

Please note the Subaru Naviextras software did read and successfully back up my original SD card before I had Aha installed.

After the Aha upgrade that added "Starlink" to my splash screen and more, the Subaru Naviextras software will no longer read my SD card, although Windows 7 does see it. The date on one of the files on the SD card corresponds with when the dealer did the upgrade.

For truth-in-advertising, I must have ejected the SD card from my PC improperly once, because I did receive such a message from Windows 7. But, I "fixed" the error using Windows 7 prompts and functionality of the navigation system in the car was not affected.

Because I was able to have the Naviextras software read and back up the original version of the SD card once, I have this crazy idea that the tool could/should read the updated SD card after the Aha upgrade. So now, my question becomes the following:

Has anyone had the Subaru Naviextras software read their SD card after the Aha upgrade? I'm wondering if my "improperly ejected disc" experience means I messed up my SD card.

Again, thanks in advance for any responses.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BTW, Toyota's navigation software is less than worthless because of all the functionality it locks out when the vehicle is in motion (and no, a passenger could not possibly be detected). I'm not saying you should be happy, hmorse, but at least Subaru lets you manage with some commands, including handsfree ones.

·
Registered
161 Posts
lambanlaa, and anyone else trying to update maps.....

Unless you have the standard Subaru Nav unit not the H/K 440 Watt unit you are probably OK.. However...!!! Please read this if any of you have either gone ahead with the purchase of this map update and you have the H/K 440watt system... You are most likely attempting to install maps to a "non-compatible" navigation unit....

Please consider this before getting to far ahead of yourselves..!!!

It's my belief, that the Map updates everyone is seeing on the www.subaru-na.naviextras.com site, is specific to only one unit as shown below on the actual webpage....!!!

Please do not attempt to apply this update to this unit without verification that it will work with this unit... Shown here is the Harmon Kardon 440Watt Nav unit made by Fujitsu-Ten.. It is not the unit that is listed on the webpage.. The one on the webpage is the standard Subaru Nav unit.. It runs different software and maps..!!!

I'm asking that you all first contact Subaru and verify that the unit you have is compatable.. Otherwise you're wasting money on a update that will most likely not work on the H/K 440 Watt unit..

Steve..

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I hear you loud and clear and take note of your advice, HDSkullfire2/Steve.

Please note I have talked to Subaru and they have not said the head unit/SD card is incompatible with the map update and software--now to ask if that means they are compatible/supported then...

I definitely am not advising anyone to purchase the update, but want to know if anyone has gotten farther than I have in just having the Subaru Naviextras software even see the Aha-updated SD card--that's free AFAIK.

Regards,

Lambanlaa

·
Registered
'13 Outback Limited 2.5i, Venetian Red Pearl w/Wheel arch moldings, EyeSight, Nav, Moonroof, Puddle lights, Remote start
267 Posts
I wish this thread had been here last week... I've been looking all over for a solution to this SD card issue. I saw some people in another thread say that they eventually got the toolbox program to recognize their card, but it wasn't until I just saw this thread that it click that pre-aha and post-aha is probably the difference.

I've tried the toolbox program on three different Windows 7 PCs and one Windows XP PC without luck. My card had never been improperly ejected, at least not by me since I bought the OB a couple of Fridays ago.

Last week after a couple of different attempts, I finally did get through to someone at Navteq who supposedly works customer support specifically for the nav in the Subaru. She had me try all kinds of things, like downloading the utility using a different browser, creating a new user account on naviextras, and she had me click OK when Windows wanted to "fix" something it detected wrong with the SD card. Nothing worked.

Eventually she consulted with a supervisor and they concluded my trouble ticket would have to be escalated up to someone in Europe (probably at NNG). It's going on almost a week now since my case was escalated... I called yesterday and they still had not gotten a resolution from Europe. I'll post it here if I ever do hear back anything useful.

Obviously the new 2012-Q3 maps got released before anyone bothered to update the toolbox utility for Subaru's top (i.e. most expensive) nav system. Pretty disappointing. But all they have to do is rectify the situation and it'll be water under the bridge for me.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bsbd,

This is exactly what I wanted to know/hear. I really don't know if I ejected my disk improperly or not, and it works in the car just fine. Windows 7 recognizes the disk, but the Naviextras toolbox does not. I was told by the dealer that there is no update for our systems with Aha until the summer, and I was told by Subaru that the disk is compatible and would work if I hadn't "improperly ejected my desk." Contradictory much?!?!

Please keep me posted and I'll do the same.

lambanlaa

·
Registered
'13 Outback Limited 2.5i, Venetian Red Pearl w/Wheel arch moldings, EyeSight, Nav, Moonroof, Puddle lights, Remote start
267 Posts
lambanlaa,

If your card loads up in the car's nav unit fine, then I have a hard time believing it's even the least bit corrupted. Logic would dictate that a file corruption problem would cause problems loading map data in the car long before it would cause the PC toolbox problem to not even recognize that there is an SD card in the PC or reader.

BTW, I was very reluctant when the customer service rep said to allow Windows to "Scan and fix" whatever problem it detected with the card, but thankfully it didn't seem to hurt anything -- the nav system can still read the card and apparently is still working as it should. Windows had always been able to see the files on the card, but every time I inserted the card in my PC I would get that pop-up warning. After running the scan and fix I don't get the Windows warning, but other than that it didn't seem to accomplish anything.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I happen to have a backup made with the Subaru Naviextras toolbox of the original SD card before Aha was installed, so the software could read the card at one point.

That disk image does not work with the head unit since Aha was installed.

The files on the original SD card were modified around the time the Aha unit was installed by the dealer which leads me to believe that the Aha installation and/or initiation somehow modified the card and that the Subaru Naviextras toolbox is now out of date.

I almost believe no toolbox and/or map updates exist for our systems yet...

lambanlaa

1 - 20 of 48 Posts