Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have installed a new head unit in a gen4 outback, which dash kits have been the best? I see Crutchfield has a silver one, but I'm not sure about the color/texture match. Also found a black one online.

Also, I am seeing mixed reviews about the Crutchfield wiring harness, saying that it doesn't have wires for steering wheel controls. What harness do you recommend for a 2013 outback with 6 speaker audio and Bluetooth? Has anyone found a steering wheel control adapter that works with Bluetooth calling buttons?

Lastly, where is the split for the front speakers to the tweeters?

Thanks!

·
Registered
832 Posts
I used the Metra kit that is black. None of the aftermarket kits that are silver will match the texture. There is a post of someone who procured a JDM or EUDM DD kit but it was very expensive (I think around $150).

I'm not a fan of Crutchfield, and the harness issue may not matter in your case. I found out with my '12 Limited that Subaru changed the harness from '10-'11 to the '12. The "new" harness is actually an older Toyota harness for power, ground, and speaker and the steering wheel controls are in a separate 28 pin harness. Crutchfield doesn't offer that one. SVXDc is the only one that offers any harness with the correct wiring, as well as making sure that the Axxess ASWC is updated with the latest firmware before sending it out. I worked with David as well as Metra to get the Axxess piece to work. My wife has her iPhone connected to the Kenwood in the car and all of the BT buttons work.

I haven't swapped any speakers in our OB but I would guess that the tweeters get the same signal as the fronts with only a small capacitor performing as the crossover.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
2 Participants
lashlee
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing