Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Satin White Pearl
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new 2013 OB 3.6R is scheduled for delivery in 11 days. It will be my first Subaru, and coming straight from the factory. I have read a bit about checking for torque bind, and saw I should have the engine temp up to normal before testing for this. About how long should it take for it to get to normal? Any other tips on taking delivery? It will be White Satin Pearl, hopefully won't have any paint swirls like the darker colors. No Limited features, so no Navigation issues to check. Appreciate all your help and insight.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Fill me in on what torque bind is???

Keep it below 3000RPM for first 1000 miles and no gunning it. Avoid driving long distances at a constant RPM (per Subaru break-in procedures).

If your 2013 is a limited you will have a temp gauge, it's normal when it's basically in the center of the gauge, but that's engine temp not transmission and driveline. Probably drive for 30-60 minutes to get that good and warmed up depending on ambient temp. If yours is not a limited you don't have a temp gauge, a blue light will be on until the car warms up, then it goes off at normal operating temp (engine temp).

·
Registered
557 Posts
depending on the temp, i would guess just let the engine warm up by letting it idle for a minute or so.

idle more if colder :)

also, depending on your test drive, i would also give the transmission time to warm up, too.

for example, if you're warming up the engine by letting it idle the vehicle isn't moving so the transmission is just sitting there.

when you start driving take is easy.

after driving for a minute or so the transmission will be ready to play... then start driving normally and test for torque bind.

i honestly don't know what that is either - lol.

torque steer, yes, i know what that is!!!

enjoy.

joel

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
torque steer, yes, i know what that is!!!
Me too! I owned several Saab Turbos...the KING of torque steer. Ripped the steering wheel out of my hands many a time but sometimes the scary-ness is what makes it fun!

·
Registered
150 Posts
My new 2013 OB 3.6R is scheduled for delivery in 11 days. It will be my first Subaru, and coming straight from the factory. I have read a bit about checking for torque bind, and saw I should have the engine temp up to normal before testing for this. About how long should it take for it to get to normal? Any other tips on taking delivery? It will be White Satin Pearl, hopefully won't have any paint swirls like the darker colors. No Limited features, so no Navigation issues to check. Appreciate all your help and insight.
Torque bind is a problem where the AWD is not working correctly... one of the causes being the stress put on the system by having tires with significant tread depth differences. Its highly unlikely you will have this issue on a new car.

The dealer should perform a standard check on the car before delivery, including fluid levels, tire pressure etc. I think they also remove a "delivery mode" fuse. I suggest doing a total walk-around of the car to check for dents/dings/scratches. Check the oil level and tire pressure (you can do the tire check when you get home, but its not uncommon for them to be overfilled). Check to make sure all accessories ordered are installed, and check the interior for any stains or damage.

Enjoy your new car!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
Make sure the dealer has aired down the tires from the 40psi they ship with before you test drive.

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Satin White Pearl
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the advice. I will watch for the little blue light since I won't have the limited. I am super excited! Already have some Weathertech Digital Floor Liners ordered and found some great seat belt pads with the Subaru emblem on Amazon. Seat belts always chafe me when I'm wearing scrubs. Selling my Camry to an individual on Saturday and the dealership is giving me a loaner for the week until my OB comes in. I'm counting the days!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Make sure the dealer has aired down the tires from the 40psi they ship with before you test drive.

+1. Mine was at 45PSI all around upon delivery, checked at home just after trading for it. :eek:

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
+1. Mine was at 45PSI all around upon delivery, checked at home just after trading for it. :eek:

45psi!! Yikes. We have a winner. Even the Flintstones think that car rides rough.;)

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
618 Posts
Air the tires down to 15 PSI and go drive in some sand. That way you test the AWD and the TPMS...

And have fun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts