Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 08 outback. I want to either turbo it or swap it. It currently has the EJ255 I believe is what these came with. Don't know a lot about Subaru motors, but from the ones I have own I can say she is a very healthy motor. If that's so though that means I already have a lot of the EJ257 parts shortblock, b25 heads, and valvetrain. So, my question is. Turbo kit with COBB access port for a tune, or EJ207 swap? Would the EJ207 even bolt to the automatic transmission? The automatic transmission is temporary so I don't really mind it being pushed. If anything I might have it built so my girlfriend is more comfortable. She can drive stick just doesn't like Subaru manuals.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If I did the turbo kit I will leave the stock pistons and do water/meth injection to keep the car from bending a rod and detonating.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Swap it, it will cost a lot less money and it will be less stressful too.

Seagrass

·
Super Moderator
12,121 Posts
Sell it, buy what you actually want.

Or buy a wrecked Legacy GT/Outback XT and do a swap with ALLLLLLL the parts you're gonna need.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Just buy an XT

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I swap I'm going new. I'm not buying wreaked. Wreaked ones of subarus out here are around the same price of it all new from somewhere like jdmracingmotor.com

·
Registered
17,035 Posts
is your present car auto or stick?

every path you choose is costly and risky but, there's some logic in selling it, then, shop for a turbo car that has bent valves from timing belt system failure.

that would be a good project platform to start from.

at least an XT will have the right harness and ECU, etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a 08 outback full paper history and driven by my girlfriends grandmother from the day it rolled off the lot. I know this cars history from day one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Money isn't the problem. It the history of most subarus up north are beat to **** and mistreated. Last one I had even after a full rebuild had more issues than I could ever find. They popped one after the other. This car body and mechanically to me is a better starting ground than a blown or wreaked one. In my opinion

·
Registered
17,035 Posts
is there a local 'tuner' shop near your city - you could quiz them about an approach.

we also have a tuner on this board - paging @west_minist

and user GeneralDisorder over at www.ultimatesubaru.org would have some good input

I think NASIOC has entire swap threads.

where are you located?

might be good to get a parts car for the hood, intercooler, ecu, and some other parts

unless you are planning on a front-mount IC.....

·
Super Moderator
12,121 Posts
Even if you want to tackle this job, which is doable but VERY involved.

You need a full parts car.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I have a 08 outback. I want to either turbo it or swap it. It currently has the EJ255 I believe is what these came with. Don't know a lot about Subaru motors, but from the ones I have own I can say she is a very healthy motor. If that's so though that means I already have a lot of the EJ257 parts shortblock, b25 heads, and valvetrain. So, my question is. Turbo kit with COBB access port for a tune, or EJ207 swap? Would the EJ207 even bolt to the automatic transmission? The automatic transmission is temporary so I don't really mind it being pushed. If anything I might have it built so my girlfriend is more comfortable. She can drive stick just doesn't like Subaru manuals.
So if I'm reading this correctly, your Outback already has an EJ255 in it? This is the turbo engine from 05-07ish. The rest had the EJ257, such as an 08. So either you already have an XT, or you're confused as to the engine you have. The non turbo models have an EJ251 or similar I believe which, among other things, would not have the right heads. But you mentioned that you have B25 heads, which do come on the EJ255 on the early years. The later years have D25 heads specifically on the EJ257 which the main difference is the air pump ports and a smaller dish size for a higher compression ratio.

If your Outback didn't come from the factory with a turbo setup, retrofitting one to have the turbo setup is much more involved than just swapping the engine and trying to add a tune. First, the ECU wouldn't be compatible, so would have to be swapped. That necessitates swapping out the BCU and dash gauges and keys for starters. Then there are differences in the front subframe as well.

It can be done, but it would be a lot of work and quite the money sink. Verify what you have and get back to us on that.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
So if I'm reading this correctly, your Outback already has an EJ255 in it? This is the turbo engine from 05-07ish. The rest had the EJ257, such as an 08.
I believe you have this backwards;

04-06 STI/FXT/OBXT/LGT all shared the same long block (pistons, cams, sodium-filled exhaust valves, side-feed injectors, etc).

2007 is a bit of a cross-over year (D25 heads, top feed injectors, same pistons), but the short block is essentially the same

2008 is the major split: STI got W25 heads (Dual AVCS), sodium-filled valves, higher comp pistons, unique camshafts (profile and dual AVCS) while the FXT/LGT/OBXT got stainless valves, lower comp pistons and D25 heads.

Even though only the STI got the "EJ257" designation, 04-06 was indistinguishable for long blocks. 255/257 didnt' really become different until 2008.

Anyway, if the OP actually has a factory XT (EJ255), then a "turbo kit" may be an upgraded kit? I.e. low mount, STI conversion, etc.

If it's an EJ253, NA-T builds are actually a bit easier since the ECU can be tuned and made to cooperate with forced induction easier than the earlier units. Still not exactly "plug and play", but MUCH easier than a full swap. And trust me, full swapping a BP/BL chassis (05-09 OB/Leg) is a FULL swap. No more harness merges and ECU swaps. This isn't your run-of-the-mill Impreza chassis.

Edit: as for 207 swaps, yes: they will physically bolt-up. However, you'd need a V10 EJ207 just to place nice with the engine management you have. And believe me, changing the factory engine management is your OB is not really an option.

·
Registered
976 Posts
If you do swapped, you either use a donor harness or be splicing.

Your year car runs CAN and the tranny will be talking CAN to the ecu. The coding may not be the same and you.may have communication errors.

Depending on your power, you can easily turbo the NA. Otherwise just drop a build block and turbo her.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Nightmare in the making. We see this all the time on LGT, and have seen a couple of swaps like this and the cars never run correctly with all kinds of issues. You need to sell your car and find an XT and then mod that car if you want to. You'll be a lot saner and have a lot more money in your pocket in the long run.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Let me address just the personal relationship side of this very ambitious proposal:

Money isn't the problem.
The automatic transmission is temporary so I don't really mind it being pushed. If anything I might have it built so my girlfriend is more comfortable. She can drive stick just doesn't like Subaru manuals.
I have a 08 outback full paper history and driven by my girlfriends grandmother from the day it rolled off the lot. I know this cars history from day one.
Reading between the lines a bit - it sounds as if:
1. Your girlfriend, not you, owns the car.
2. It is presently running very dependably, and you know its full history.
3. Your girlfriend doesn't like the present MT setup, although she can drive it nonetheless.
4. You're offering to do a swap for her that includes an AT in the package.
5. And you also want to put the turbo in as well in order to have some fun.
6. Despite the sage advice of many knowledgeable members in this forum advising that if you want an XT, you should just sell this one and buy one.

What could possibly go wrong here?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts