Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi! I'm looking to buy a 2020 Outback Limited in the next few weeks and had a few questions. I settled on the Outback as a family vehicle that is much safer and a little larger than my current 2005 Pontiac Vibe (Our other vehicle is a 7 seater so didn't want anything bigger)

1. I'm mostly interested in a Limited without the sunroof/nav package but none of the local dealers seem to carry any of these. Are these just super rare?

2. I'm a little unsure about the touch heavy infotainment center, especially for things like turning the fan up and down. What has been people's impression after using this for a while?

3. Somewhat related to #2, how reliable is using voice commands for things like climate control?

4. One of the biggest reasons I chose the Outback was the safety features, which will be a big upgrade over my current vehicle. However, last night I came across the issue here where some have reported sudden jerks to the wheel with the lane keep/centering features enabled (See 'update on lane keep safety issue with 2020 outback' thread, I couldn't link to it since this is my first post). Have there been any more updates on this issue? At this point I would probably set the features to warn only and disable any auto steering.

5. Related to #4, are safety features on/off settings (lane keep/centering) saved car-wide or per driver profile?

Thanks!

Update: Purchased the 2020 Outback Limited and loving it so far! I ended up getting the sunroof/nav package as it was much easier to find my desired color and in the long run the price difference with discounts wasn't very much. Thanks everyone for their feedback, it was very helpful!

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Premium
356 Posts
I can answer a few. Lane centering has off/on switch. Im an older guy, so adjusting to the climate controls has taken me a few weeks. This is our third Outback. Not a big deal, just change. I can find something in the car to nit-pick about. But the value, safety, ride, etc far outweigh any of my quirky problems. I’ll adjust. And more that likely buy another one.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Response with 1,500+ miles on the odometer
1) Best to order w/o moonroof if that is what you want. It will also provide exactly what you want in other options. Extra weight and cost along with small surface area and increased failure points make this w/o moonroof configuration worth considering.
2) I have found this not to be a problem after two months of possession. Some of the posts are more perceived rather than actual.
2) Not using this feature on the vehicle but use voice for my android. Why do I need voice on the OB?
3) I use it all when justified. Hanging on to the steering wheel is always recommended and monitored by the vehicle with warnings.
One night, while testing, I was driving on an incline curve in heavy traffic with vehicles in front making lane changes. The vehicle wanted to change lanes but I over rode with the expected amount of effort. I was doing a test when my instinct told me to deactivate the lane centering and adaptive cruise control. I used all features for two hours straight while driving in heavy morning traffic (2'1" to go 24 mi). Everything worked very well and saved me from having to use my foot thousands of times.
5) No experience with driver id.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
1,864 Posts
Hi! I'm looking to buy a 2020 Outback Limited in the next few weeks and had a few questions. I settled on the Outback as a family vehicle that is much safer and a little larger than my current 2005 Pontiac Vibe (Our other vehicle is a 7 seater so didn't want anything bigger)

1. I'm mostly interested in a Limited without the sunroof/nav package but none of the local dealers seem to carry any of these. Are these just super rare?

2. I'm a little unsure about the touch heavy infotainment center, especially for things like turning the fan up and down. What has been people's impression after using this for a while?

3. Somewhat related to #2, how reliable is using voice commands for things like climate control?

4. One of the biggest reasons I chose the Outback was the safety features, which will be a big upgrade over my current vehicle. However, last night I came across the issue here where some have reported sudden jerks to the wheel with the lane keep/centering features enabled (See 'update on lane keep safety issue with 2020 outback' thread, I couldn't link to it since this is my first post). Have there been any more updates on this issue? At this point I would probably set the features to warn only and disable any auto steering.

5. Related to #4, are safety features on/off settings (lane keep/centering) saved car-wide or per driver profile?

Thanks!
1. Can you wait to factory order? I did this for the first time (3rd outback) with my 2020 and am very pleased with the experience, getting exactly what I wanted, not too long a wait if you can do it. Otherwise sometimes dealers will get a car from another dealer, but that means someone driving it there usually I believe. I tend to be the type that wants exactly what I want in a car, so I think the factory order is a great option, no extra cost, just depends on if you can wait, which isnt always the case for people.

2. All cars are going this route more. Subaru did a good implementation of it, in my opinion, aesthetically. They could do a bit better with some of the buttons, and where they are, but that can be changed too with updates, if they come. I dont find anything relating to this bothersome enough that I wouldnt get the car, just have to adjust. We are adaptable creatures ;) We get used to new habits a lot quicker than we realize in my opinion. But some old dogs really dont want to learn new tricks. ;)

3. I dont really use the voice commands because of my frustration with my 2013 outback - which never understood me. That said, I have tried a couple times to just randomly try it out, not even knowing what commands I was supposed to give it, I tried it for the climate once, and it not only understood me, but helped me figure out what exactly I wanted, in a way my previous cars never did. So far I am impressed with the system having not used it much, but coming from hating it in previous outbacks, but I honestly dont have THAT much experience with it.

4. I honestly am not a fan of eyesight features such as this, because the systems arent close enough to perfect for my taste. I turn most of them off on my 2020 after trying them out for a bit. I wouldnt buy a car based on drivers assist features, they are too new and unpredictable in my opinion. The only one I am using is the adaptive cruise control (without lane centering), however due to an experience I had yesterday on a road trip, I am not sure how much I will even use that one. To me, these are all kinda cool and interesting, but not refined enough for my taste.

5. Driver monitoring comes back on after a few on/off cycles, and the front braking comes on after every cycle, the rest stay off/on as set I believe. (as you may know, and as most cars, auto start/stop resets to on after every cycle).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses so far, very helpful! :)

In regards to #1 and ordering, I'm not sure I want to wait that long. Also, how is pricing on direct orders? If it's close to sticker price seems like I would still come out ahead getting the higher end package from a dealer and negotiating down the price.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium
33 Posts

Thanks!
I always use voice commands to change the temperature and fan speed and find it very satisfactory. However, they cannot be used for heated seats. Also the cabin temperature readings are off. Those last 2 things don't matter to me but do to some.

This wasn't in your list and may not be a concern but turning off S/S requires 3 touches of the screen. One other thing that is a concern for me is lower mileage that my 2017 Outback. Right now it's running about 2 mpg less and this seems to be common.

There are really good improvements too. So many things are just a matter of personal preference.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT Magnetite Grey
9 Posts

In regards to #1 and ordering, I'm not sure I want to wait that long. Also, how is pricing on direct orders? If it's close to sticker price seems like I would still come out ahead getting the higher end package from a dealer and negotiating down the price.
Negotiating price on a factory order is no different than one on the lot. I factory ordered mine because I also didn't want the moon roof/nav package and none were available. I got a little over 11% off MSRP

·
Registered
1,864 Posts

as answered just above ^, but also you can look into VIP pricing, a lot of details here on the forum from those of us that did it. No negotiating on the price, just already pre-determined by the VIP program you chose (though options (accessories) may include a dealer install charge if its a dealer install only option).
I did the $500 to ASPCA and that got me 2% below invoice.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Skip the moonroof and nav. I use CarPlay with google maps. Works great. Only annoyance is turning on and off heated seats.
I have to say, having 2 older outbacks with NAV and considered them totally useless (I used a mounted garmin and/or phone instead for nav), this 2020 NAV is actually not quite as bad. Ive been using it a bit and still prefer my garmin, but in a pinch, it is usable, which is more than I can say about my last 2 NAVs, plus it fills the screen.

I have noticed though that programming a route in one (google maps on car play, or the OB NAV), seems to cancel out the route I have going in the other. Not sure why. I feel like it wasnt doing this then suddenly started doing this.

·
Registered
255 Posts

Ordering price should be at least as good as one from present inventory, at least that is what I got: they also lowered the order price a week before delivery. Also, you will save ~$2K by not getting a moonroof plus more headroom and less weight & things to go wrong. I also saved by not getting the nav system. Plus additional savings from other omitting other options (but mostly standard) such as floor mats. Only likely way to get a non-moonroof, color and interior you really want is to order it.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i
1,618 Posts

I just placed an order for a Premium two weeks ago.
I got 4% below invoice and 11% below MSRP.
Once you add in the coupons I have I will be at 7.4% below invoice & 14.1% below MSRP.

I would also skip the moonroof and nav.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info! That's good to know that you can still save a lot ordering vs. from the dealer. Unfortunately I'm not sure I have the time to wait. I plan on negotiating over email with 5-8 dealerships so I guess I can see what their best offer looks like and go from there.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks for the info! That's good to know that you can still save a lot ordering vs. from the dealer. Unfortunately I'm not sure I have the time to wait. I plan on negotiating over email with 5-8 dealerships so I guess I can see what their best offer looks like and go from there.
We got my wife’s Onyx XT about a month ago. There were only a couple XTs on the lot, the Onyx was exactly what we wanted, already had the moonroof. I doubt you could find one on a dealer lot without it. I’ve been very impressed with the car and decided to replace my 14 year old Legacy with a new Legacy. There weren’t any Legacys on the lot and no XTs, which is what I want, within 500 miles so I placed an order. The negotiation process was the same as getting one off the lot. The Legacy process is a lot longer than the Outbacks. I placed the order with the dealer on January 20 with the delivery currently scheduled for May. I’m not happy about that but it does give me the advantage of being able to learn about some of the intricacies before I get it, but unfortunately also gives me enough time for my mind to wander to other cars. I’ve communicated with someone on another forum who placed a Legacy order about the same time and was told April for delivery so that seems to be typical. They produce far more Outbacks since that’s the big seller for them and the wait time should be far less.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx Edition, Storm Trooper white
157 Posts
I'll try to help, first time Outback owner here but I came from a Ford CMax hybrid

Not rare as I have seen some Onyx without this. Definitely save some $ but they were not selling as fast as the nav/moon roof Onyxs. Personally, I want the nav and could live without the moonroof/ However, I have opened up the moonroof to enjoy the sun on the evening drive back from work. Oh, the main reason for the navigation is that, unlike the Android autoplay or the Apple equivalent, it does not need the cell service for the map updates especially when you are out in the sticks with no cell service. I remember I drove up the back woods of Malibu, no cell, no navigation so I had to wing it...

No real issues, fan buttons could be bigger but its not a deal breaker. its quick and fast and immediate response. I like the quick close of that pop-up window as well.

not used it yet, quicker just to press the screen buttons

4. One of the biggest reasons I chose the Outback was the safety features, which will be a big upgrade over my current vehicle. However, last night I came across the issue here where some >have reported sudden jerks to the wheel with the lane keep/centering features enabled (See 'update on lane keep safety issue with 2020 outback' thread, I couldn't link to it since this is my first >post). Have there been any more updates on this issue? At this point I would probably set the features to warn only and disable any auto steering.
This one took me a little while to get use to since my prior car did not have this feature. It does feel like it ping-pongs but it really doesn't in the sense that, I the driver, would make sub-conscious corrections but since thats now taken away from me and, I the driver, is now monitoring the car, it just feels that way. Like I said, once I got used to it and understood what the car was doing, I can trust it.

The safety system does make you keep your hands on it as well.

What do you call a blind deer? ;) the Onyx is a "low" end premium so it does not recognize the driver and does not do driver monitoring.

Great questions, good luck with your search. Also Subaru does things it own way, don't even try to compare it to your old car ways like I first did with mine. But the OB is an immensely fun car to drive - its firm, grippy and sure footed. I think you'll appreciate that more than the concerns/issues you have with the car infotainment/user interface questions... jus sayin'

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
804 Posts
Response with 1,500+ miles on the odometer
1) Best to order w/o moonroof if that is what you want. It will also provide exactly what you want in other options. Extra weight and cost along with small surface area and increased failure points make this w/o moonroof configuration worth considering.
2) I have found this not to be a problem after two months of possession. Some of the posts are more perceived rather than actual.
2) Not using this feature on the vehicle but use voice for my android. Why do I need voice on the OB?
3) I use it all when justified. Hanging on to the steering wheel is always recommended and monitored by the vehicle with warnings.
One night, while testing, I was driving on an incline curve in heavy traffic with vehicles in front making lane changes. The vehicle wanted to change lanes but I over rode with the expected amount of effort. I was doing a test when my instinct told me to deactivate the lane centering and adaptive cruise control. I used all features for two hours straight while driving in heavy morning traffic (2'1" to go 24 mi). Everything worked very well and saved me from having to use my foot thousands of times.
5) No experience with driver id.
I just picked up a Legacy limited w/o a roof and they are hard to find Outback also.

·
Registered
2020 Outback L 2.5 greenie / tan (formerly 2014 Outback 2.5i P 6MT)
160 Posts
I have noticed though that programming a route in one (google maps on car play, or the OB NAV), seems to cancel out the route I have going in the other. Not sure why. I feel like it wasnt doing this then suddenly started doing this.
"That can only be attributable to human error." :)

·
Registered
2020 Outback L 2.5 greenie / tan (formerly 2014 Outback 2.5i P 6MT)
160 Posts
Hi! I'm looking to buy a 2020 Outback Limited in the next few weeks and had a few questions.
I have a limited w/o sunroof and nav (thank goodness), so they are out there. Try cars.com to search if you haven't already.

Climate control is definitely harder and more distracting to operate than any system with physical controls that I've used. It has got a bit easier and less distracting with time, but is still far short of a system with knobs, buttons, and sliders. Voice commands work ok but you have to memorize the commands - it's not natural language like Siri.

Lane centering can be set off by default and it stays off. Very easy to turn on and off at will. I'm not a fan of it but it is useful on occasion. Lane departure warning works great and I have it on all the time. Adaptive cruise works well most of the time. Backup warning and emergency stop works well. Blind spot detection works well.

·
Registered
368 Posts

^If you're from Mass, Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Connecticut or Rhode Island you can use the above link to sort by trim and see all of the inventory(in transit, too) for Outbacks in the New England region. Sort by lowest price after selecting trim to find the ones without additional sunroof/nav package/accessories.

·
Registered
24 Posts

Thanks!
I strongly recommend that you not get a 2020 Outback Limited! I have had five previous Subarus and loved them, but I have never been so disappointed In a new car. My wife is still not happy that we traded the 2017 Limited for this new one. I have no idea why Subaru‘s engineers took a good car and made it less safe. First, requiring a driver to take eyes off the road to make or change many common settings using the touch screen is bad. Second, WHY HAVE BOTH THE LANE KEEP FEATURE AND LANE CENTERING FEATURE?? And, THIS BRINGS ME TO THE BIGGEST REASON I HATE MY 2020 OUTBACK. As I have previously indicated on this forum, the lane keep feature could have killed us. On a clear, calm, dry day, the car VERY unexpectedly took us into the oncoming lane at 55 mph. Yes, I had both hands on the steering wheel, but that did not help. I have reported this to Subaru and to the federal auto safety agencies. I did not pay big bucks for a car that I do not feel safe using its lane keep or lane centering features.

If you investigate the topic ”2020 Outback safety issues“ on this forum, you will find other 2020 Outback owners have had similar experiences. In time, I totally expect a recall concerning these safety issues.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts