Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT Magnetite Grey
9 Posts
I strongly recommend that you not get a 2020 Outback Limited! I have had five previous Subarus and loved them, but I have never been so disappointed In a new car. My wife is still not happy that we traded the 2017 Limited for this new one. I have no idea why Subaru‘s engineers took a good car and made it less safe. First, requiring a driver to take eyes off the road to make or change many common settings using the touch screen is bad. Second, WHY HAVE BOTH THE LANE KEEP FEATURE AND LANE CENTERING FEATURE?? And, THIS BRINGS ME TO THE BIGGEST REASON I HATE MY 2020 OUTBACK. As I have previously indicated on this forum, the lane keep feature could have killed us. On a clear, calm, dry day, the car VERY unexpectedly took us into the oncoming lane at 55 mph. Yes, I had both hands on the steering wheel, but that did not help. I have reported this to Subaru and to the federal auto safety agencies. I did not pay big bucks for a car that I do not feel safe using its lane keep or lane centering features.

If you investigate the topic ”2020 Outback safety issues“ on this forum, you will find other 2020 Outback owners have had similar experiences. In time, I totally expect a recall concerning these safety issues.
Sorry to hear about your near accident. Glad you and your family are okay.

Strongly recommending against the vehicle seems a bit extreme though based on this. The lane keep assist can easily be switched to visual/audio warning only or turned off altogether. Also the lane keep assist and lane centering have two different functions. One is for when you are steering and keeps you in your lane in case you are distracted and start drifting. The other steers for you (with you still paying attention in case of issue) keeping you centered in the lane and watching the car in front. As far as the touchscreen, I haven't found anything I absolutely have to use it for while driving. Climate still has hard buttons as does audio. At least for me, the voice control works fairly well also. Perhaps just wait until you come to a stop to make changes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sorry to hear about your near accident. Glad you and your family are okay.

Strongly recommending against the vehicle seems a bit extreme though based on this. The lane keep assist can easily be switched to visual/audio warning only or turned off altogether. Also the lane keep assist and lane centering have two different functions. One is for when you are steering and keeps you in your lane in case you are distracted and start drifting. The other steers for you (with you still paying attention in case of issue) keeping you centered in the lane and watching the car in front. As far as the touchscreen, I haven't found anything I absolutely have to use it for while driving. Climate still has hard buttons as does audio. At least for me, the voice control works fairly well also. Perhaps just wait until you come to a stop to make changes.
I disagree. I sincerely think, based on my negative experiences with this 2020 Outback and the safety issues other owners have experienced, that I have reason not to recommend this car. I agree the 2020 Outback has some nice features. However, for me, the negatives do not offset the positives. Your explanation of the lane centering and the lane keep assist features would indicate the purpose of both of them is to keep the car in its lane. I have had cars for a number of years with the LKA and loved that feature, particularly on long trips. So, having a vehicle with this feature that I can not trust and will not use is a deal breaker.

Living up in northern Minnesota, my being able to adjust the heat of the seat while driving is pretty important. This should be able to be done without having to take my eyes off the road.

Finally, having had such a scary occurrence with this Outback, i just want prospective owners to know to expect the unexpected. WE were very LUCKY.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Finally, having had such a scary occurrence with this Outback, i just want prospective owners to know to expect the unexpected. WE were very LUCKY.
It's commendable that you share your experiences with others - even though I don't agree with your conclusion. I also don't trust Lane Centering, and have never used Lane Keep Assist (steering) and only have it set to beep.

In the thread dedicated to that issue, many of us have experienced Lane Centering holding the car too far to the right, and if you try to correct it towards the left it will continue to try to "center" where it feels too far to the right, and if you let go of the wheel momentarily, it will veer to the right and potentially (ironically) cross into another lane.

Lane Centering and Lane Keep Assist are two distinct functions - and the words are so confusing and not used consistently in the industry. Lane Keep Assist only activates if it thinks you're unintentionally drifting out of your lane. Lane Centering is actively steering the whole time that it is active - and should only be used on clearly marked divided highways and freeways.

I would rather steer my own car thank-you, but there's nothing preventing me from doing that in the 2020 Outback. Shut off the features you don't want. Tesla has one of the most advanced self-driving technologies, and it too fails at times, with disastrous results. It's up to the owner to decide how much to trust the car to drive for them. The Automaker gives you the option.

If you previously enjoyed Lane Keep Assist (with steering support), you can still use it while avoiding Lane Centering. They are two different things. One only intervenes if it thinks you're making a mistake, and the other is trying to steer for you.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
1,864 Posts
I strongly recommend that you not get a 2020 Outback Limited! I have had five previous Subarus and loved them, but I have never been so disappointed In a new car. My wife is still not happy that we traded the 2017 Limited for this new one. I have no idea why Subaru‘s engineers took a good car and made it less safe. First, requiring a driver to take eyes off the road to make or change many common settings using the touch screen is bad. Second, WHY HAVE BOTH THE LANE KEEP FEATURE AND LANE CENTERING FEATURE?? And, THIS BRINGS ME TO THE BIGGEST REASON I HATE MY 2020 OUTBACK. As I have previously indicated on this forum, the lane keep feature could have killed us. On a clear, calm, dry day, the car VERY unexpectedly took us into the oncoming lane at 55 mph. Yes, I had both hands on the steering wheel, but that did not help. I have reported this to Subaru and to the federal auto safety agencies. I did not pay big bucks for a car that I do not feel safe using its lane keep or lane centering features.

If you investigate the topic ”2020 Outback safety issues“ on this forum, you will find other 2020 Outback owners have had similar experiences. In time, I totally expect a recall concerning these safety issues.
psh. just turn if off as I have and you have a fantastic car without that "dangerous" feature.
Easy peasy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's commendable that you share your experiences with others - even though I don't agree with your conclusion. I also don't trust Lane Centering, and have never used Lane Keep Assist (steering) and only have it set to beep.

In the thread dedicated to that issue, many of us have experienced Lane Centering holding the car too far to the right, and if you try to correct it towards the left it will continue to try to "center" where it feels too far to the right, and if you let go of the wheel momentarily, it will veer to the right and potentially (ironically) cross into another lane.

Lane Centering and Lane Keep Assist are two distinct functions - and the words are so confusing and not used consistently in the industry. Lane Keep Assist only activates if it thinks you're unintentionally drifting out of your lane. Lane Centering is actively steering the whole time that it is active - and should only be used on clearly marked divided highways and freeways.

I would rather steer my own car thank-you, but there's nothing preventing me from doing that in the 2020 Outback. Shut off the features you don't want. Tesla has one of the most advanced self-driving technologies, and it too fails at times, with disastrous results. It's up to the owner to decide how much to trust the car to drive for them. The Automaker gives you the option.

If you previously enjoyed Lane Keep Assist (with steering support), you can still use it while avoiding Lane Centering. They are two different things. One only intervenes if it thinks you're making a mistake, and the other is trying to steer for you.
It was the LKA that took us, without warning into the on coming lane. I understand that some owners are very happy just keeping the features turned off, but I am not. I have used this feature on other cars (including Sabaru vehicles) , because it makes long trips more enjoyable and safer. I have always trusted this lane keep feature to a point on other cars, but no more with this car.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
It was the LKA that took us, without warning into the on coming lane. I understand that some owners are very happy just keeping the features turned off, but I am not. I have used this feature on other cars (including Sabaru vehicles) , because it makes long trips more enjoyable and safer. I have always trusted this lane keep feature to a point on other cars, but no more with this car.
I personally will never trust any assisted driving features. Too much in the infancy stages still. Too much at stake when mistakes are made - as you point out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks everyone for your input! I actually purchased my 2020 Outback Limited yesterday and am very happy so far! As to the Lane Centering/Lane Keep setting, I am keeping them set to alert only as the stories people have told have me wary of the auto steering for now. If the issue ever gets root caused and addressed I can always give it a shot later, but alert only (plus all of the other features) are a HUGE upgrade from my old 2005 vehicle :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Thanks everyone for your input! I actually purchased my 2020 Outback Limited yesterday and am very happy so far! As to the Lane Centering/Lane Keep setting, I am keeping them set to alert only as the stories people have told have me wary of the auto steering for now. If the issue ever gets root caused and addressed I can always give it a shot later, but alert only (plus all of the other features) are a HUGE upgrade from my old 2005 vehicle :)

Thanks!
Congrats on your car!
I mean, I dont know why you haven't shown us pics yet, but whatever.
:cool:;):p

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
720 Posts
Life is to short to own a car that you absolutely hate (and will never trust). I'd suggest you think about trading your 2020 OB for something else. Maybe another outback a year or two old.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Life is to short to own a car that you absolutely hate (and will never trust). I'd suggest you think about trading your 2020 OB for something else. Maybe another outback a year or two old.
[

·
Registered
24 Posts
I totally agree and I do not want my life shortened, because of this Outback. My wife wants the 2017 Outback my traded for the 2020 back. Oh, I have a 2020 Outback for sale

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
720 Posts
I totally agree and I do not want my life shortened, because of this Outback. My wife wants the 2017 Outback my traded for the 2020 back. Oh, I have a 2020 Outback for sale
Just a thought but you might call SOA, they may work with the dealer to get you a better deal on the car you traded.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just a thought but you might call SOA, they may work with the dealer to get you a better deal on the car you traded.
My trade has been sold. Early on I asked the dealer to undo the transaction and give me back my trade, but they said it would cost them too much. Believe me I have been going back and forth with SOA and the dealer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My trade has been sold. Early on I asked the dealer to undo the transaction and give me back my trade, but they said it would cost them too much. Believe me I have been going back and forth with SOA and the dealer.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT
6 Posts
I have about 2500 miles on my 2020 Outback Touring XT and most of the miles have been while using the adaptive cruise control and LKA. I have never felt unsafe while using any of these features and to me they are amazing. I just drove 4 hours home today and the trip went by really fast because the car did most of the work for me. This is my first Subaru and I love driving it so much. I would buy my Outback again in a heartbeat because none of the features that people are complaining about really bother me that much after driving the vehicle for awhile now.

·
Registered
368 Posts
You can set LKA to warning only. It will alert you via sound but won't take control of the steering wheel. Lane centering will still control the steering wheel when you use it with ACC. Did your incident happen at night? I wonder if your headlights are properly aimed because Eyesight relies on them to clearly see lane lines at night.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Tesla has one of the most advanced self-driving technologies, and it too fails at times, with disastrous results. It's up to the owner to decide how much to trust the car to drive for them. The Automaker gives you the option.
yep...You made a very good point.
Not a reason to return a car, none of them will be perfect in any car. Trust AT YOUR OWN RISK or just turn it off.
Even the much hailed Tesla, where people literally drive them while sleeping, reading books, etc

except - this update to this story from one day ago.

New documents show man killed in fiery Tesla crash reported problems with Autopilot system

"Federal investigators at the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) released nearly 1,500 pages of information on the 2018 fatal accident,.........
Investigators are looking into whether the highway conditions and the vehicle's Autopilot lane-keeping assistance played a role in the crash. "

21 - 40 of 42 Posts