Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback Prem
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently driving a 2010 Outback. I love it, but the radio isn't great. I had to hot wire my phone into it using a blackberry Bluetooth adapter. It works, but not ideal. I also can't see great at night so the stock headlights are an issue. With this said, my questions on the newer models are:

1. Is cabin noise still an issue? My 2010 sounds like the window or door are always not closed all the way.
2. Is the Multimedia system any good?
3. Are the HID headlights on the Limited a huge improvement over the Halogen? I looked into upgrading my 2010's lights but the labor expense and quality of the parts didn't make sense.
4. This one is not a huge issue, but is the floor heat improved on the newer models? Maybe it's just my Outback but the heat is not very good when the floor is selected.

I'm currently looking at 2015-16 limited models since premium and base don't come with HID lights.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Limited Titanium
443 Posts
My 2016 OB Limited has been great. I can’t compare it to a 2010 as I have never driven one. I find interior noise is not an issue. The audio system works great and connects well to my iPhone. The speakers could be better but overall it’s an ok sound system. For heat/AC, I keep the climate control set on Full-auto year round set between 68 and 72 depending on the season. No issues and very comfortable. I have 38K miles on the clock and no issues. Would I buy another 2016? Absolutely!!! Any regrets? None.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
1. Is cabin noise still an issue? My 2010 sounds like the window or door are always not closed all the way.

I have a '15 Premium. I have none of the wind noise some others have experienced. The car is noisy but to me it's just a lack insulation. My wife's '17 Forester is much quieter.

2. Is the Multimedia system any good?

I bought a car not a home entertainment system. The radio works perfectly. Turn it on and sound comes out of the speakers.

3. Are the HID headlights on the Limited a huge improvement over the Halogen? I looked into upgrading my 2010's lights but the labor expense and quality of the parts didn't make sense.

I am perfectly satisfied with my headlights.

4. This one is not a huge issue, but is the floor heat improved on the newer models? Maybe it's just my Outback but the heat is not very good when the floor is selected.

I have no issues with the heat. I always us it in auto mode with the temp set to 70º, always comfortable.

I'm currently looking at 2015-16 limited models since premium and base don't come with HID lights.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
We don't have HID headlights on our '18 Limited, but instead LED headlights. They outperform the HID headlights on our Grand Cherokee.

·
Registered
2017 3.6R Limited with Eye Sight
648 Posts
I love it, but the radio isn't great.
I really like the HD radio. No static and the name of the group and song is displayed. All my presets are exclusively HD.

I wanted to buy one for my home stereo but for some reason there aren't any I could find (an HD Radio/tuner/amp combination).

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I have two 2010’s trim matters regarding the entertainment package. My Limited has been fine with several different phones Android and Apple. Interior noise level in the 10’s broke new ground on lower noise levels. However! Age can affect seals and gaskets that keep cabin noise down. The 2015’s got the biggest upgrades both structural and otherwise. Its a more refined version of the 10-14’s. The 18’s are even more perfected. Very different feel and quality in a good way.

·
Registered
152 Posts
1. Cabin noise is much improved from gen 4 to gen 5, but I would not call it a quiet car. There is a lot of wind noise and nearby traffic still makes me wonder if a window is open because the sound is so clearly heard. It's mid-pack in terms of quiet and sound insulation.
2. Ok, but not great. The HK sound system is about average for the price/class of car. But the voice control features and ability control the phone, music selection, and nav system are so buggy and convoluted that my spouse and I no longer use them. We also have a 2014 Ford with the dreaded MFT system, and it is so far superior to what is in the 2016 Outback, there is no comparison.
3. I had to think about headlights. In 15/16 model years, all the 2.5 liter trims have halogen lights. Only the 3.6, or perhaps the top trim level of the 3.6, come with HID low beams. Do your research to make sure you get what you need. The halogens are fine as far as halogens go, though I sure prefer bi-xenon lights.
4. I live in Texas, so not qualified to have an opinion. But have seen this complaint raised several times on the gen 5 models. Weak heat has been a consistent complaint about the 2.5 cars as well. Apparently they divert much of the engine heat to warming the transmission, to the detriment of the cabin heater.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts