Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

My wife and I have been shopping outbacks for a while now and are ready to pull the trigger soon.

Couple questions for you all:

1) The 0% financaning special offer ends today, is there any real chance it gets extended? We just didn't feel comfotable rushing a decision for this offer and are hoping we have a chance at still getting it.

2) Is there any sleeper feature we should seriously be considering? Like eyesight for example, both of us are just kind of meh on it, but if you guys out there say eyesight, or the harmon kardon are worth the money then we want to hear it!

3) I am reading a lot about ambassador coupons, whats the skinny on those? We could totally use an extra 500 off so I am super interested in any potential discounts available

4) Is the professional car buying services offered by like trucar or geico worth it or should we go in blank slate and negiotiate?

5) I wouldn't mind an opinion on 2.5 or 3.6 engine options. I like the better milage of the 2.5 but could be talked into a 3.6 if it is magical

Thats all!

We are super stoaked to officially join the club hopefully this month if stars align!

·
Registered
2015 Outback Premium
45 Posts
I wish I had a limited just for the vents in the back for airflow; otherwise don't over think it. Well and now they make a grey interior which I suppose would be nice perhaps; we have black cloth with a yellow lab..... overall, it's a great car, but you already know that. Welcome!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
I purchased my 2018 in March. IIRC, the 0% was supposed to end in April, so they do extend it. Don't want to say for sure in case you guys get burned and they don't extend it.

I like driving with cruise control, so eyesight is a pretty rad feature. I do like that it adds an additional level of safety, and you can just turn it off when you off-road. I do hate that ilmin was packaged with power lift gate.

I used Costco and loved the fact that I got >14% below MSRP with no negotiation. I hate haggling. Plus I got like $250 in accessory credit.

Go find a local Subaru club. There is probably ambassador in the group. I think they look down on just sending ambassador coupon's blindly, since they're trying to make a community vibe. I got one from my local Subaru off-road group. I do live in a metropolitan area so there are tons of clubs, so ymmv.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited; Pearl White
24 Posts
Hey guys!

My wife and I have been shopping outbacks for a while now and are ready to pull the trigger soon.

Couple questions for you all:

1) The 0% financaning special offer ends today, is there any real chance it gets extended? We just didn't feel comfotable rushing a decision for this offer and are hoping we have a chance at still getting it.

2) Is there any sleeper feature we should seriously be considering? Like eyesight for example, both of us are just kind of meh on it, but if you guys out there say eyesight, or the harmon kardon are worth the money then we want to hear it!

3) I am reading a lot about ambassador coupons, whats the skinny on those? We could totally use an extra 500 off so I am super interested in any potential discounts available

4) Is the professional car buying services offered by like trucar or geico worth it or should we go in blank slate and negiotiate?

5) I wouldn't mind an opinion on 2.5 or 3.6 engine options. I like the better milage of the 2.5 but could be talked into a 3.6 if it is magical

Thats all!

We are super stoaked to officially join the club hopefully this month if stars align!
1) The 0% interest has been has been around since October last year, and it keeps getting renewed. I wouldn't really base the decision on this.

2) The Eyesight for me was worth it just for the Adaptive Cruise Control alone. On a road trip, it's wonderful when the car adjusts its speed automatically based on the distance of the car in front.

4)The car buying services that I looked into like AAA or Costco are just okay. Better than walking in and paying sticker price, but you'll get a much better price if you research the invoice costs of the specific configuration of a car you want and just negotiated based on that.

5) I got the 2.5 Limited because of the better gas mileage and lower insurance costs. If those extra costs are negligible to your budget, then the 3.6 is a peppier drive!

·
Registered
2016 2.5 outback limited
166 Posts
i went with the limited. subaru made some minor suspension changes for the limited and up n 2016, and my son said the ride was different from a 2018 premium he test drove before purchase. i prefer heated seats due to back issues, and the limited had them standard. The Harmon radio is really nice. Prefered it over a Bose system in an impala i test drove. Also the moon roof is nice, love it or skip it, but nice to have. Im happy with out eye sight, as i hated the similar features in my dads rav4. i have the 2.5i, and like the mpg's i get. My neighbor said some buddies of his have the 3.6 and the mpg is lower for their style of driving.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
4)The car buying services that I looked into like AAA or Costco are just okay. Better than walking in and paying sticker price, but you'll get a much better price if you research the invoice costs of the specific configuration of a car you want and just negotiated based on that.

Do you know of any resource like that for 2018 models? I was looking through the 500+ page thread and haven't seen anything for the newer models. I have been getting a good idea on what a good % to get off of MSRP is, going to try to shoot for 10% or so. I don't live in an area with a lot of dealerships so I don't think they have to get too competitive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is really good advice!

We don't have costcos we have Sam's Club. I think they also have a car buying program I will check out. I think the Geico program is a bust after exploring it a little.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited. White, Sunroof, 2.5, CVT. Bought 2/15/11. Love it! Broke 109K, 2/20.
449 Posts
Unless it has been changed I seem to recall the A/C system on the "lesser models" isn't as good as on the Limited. I recall seeing a thread on it when the current model was introduced but being an owner of a previous gen a 2011 I only glanced and didn't absorb all the details.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT
120 Posts
1. There is a 0% financing deal more often than not. Sometimes the length of the loan varies. For example, mine was 48 months in March 2017. It's been 63 months now for a while. I've also seen 1.9%. Definitely buy during the 0% periods.

2. You have to get Eyesight...not a question -- best feature in the Outback.

3. I don't know much about the ambassador coupons.

4. I would personally skip the car buying services. My process was to request "online quotes" from all of the area dealers and went with the lowest offer. Simple as that. I've done this with multiple Subaru's I've purchased for myself and family and friends. (always from the same dealer somehow). Shoot for 14-15% off MSRP. This is achievable and the best deal.

5. I like my 2.5i for the fuel economy and range. Both are exceptional for a car of this size, in my opinion.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
17 Posts
New Subaru owner here. Bought a 2018 2.5i Limited w/Eyesight. I absolutely love the Eyesight/lane departure/adaptive cruise control system. I probably won't buy another car without it. In interstate traffic, with cruise set at 65, the car will keep it's distance and even slow to a stop (quickly if necessary). In super slow/congested areas, it runs itself. Obviously, pay attention and keep your foot ready to brake, but it will keep it's distance as long as the cruise is still engaged. Perfect for when you take the split second to look down and the car in front of you brakes.

The system also notifies you when you are stopped and the car in front of you moves (like you looked down at your phone and didn't notice the traffic moved...shame on you for looking at your phone). The automatic bright lights system (not sure if part of eyesight system) is great as well. It is amazing how quickly it dims the brights when another car approaches. Just leave the lights on auto, with brights on and it handles itself.

Lane departure will give a slight nudge if you start veering out of lane. It isn't overpowering. It will also beep. It is easy to shut off if you don't like it, but I love it.

I have been averaging 26.8 mpg overall in mixed driving, with a bit more city than highway. On very flat interstate, I average just over 34 mpg at 65 mph with cruise set (I'm talking exit to exit, no city driving at all). It's pretty easy to average 30-32 mpg highway in undulating terrain.

Bought the car using TrueCar. Listed different zip codes to shop around. I paid $29,699, sticker was $36,621 or something like that and got the 0% for 48 months through Subaru (Chase). All you do is put in your contact information and the offers come via email in just minutes. It's generally the dealership's bottom line price. I didn't negotiate beyond that, but it may be possible. I contacted the salesperson listed in the email and made sure of the price and vehicle availability. Once confirmed, I walked in, test drove, purchased and was driving home within 90 minutes or so.

Best of luck with your decision.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Do you know of any resource like that for 2018 models? I was looking through the 500+ page thread and haven't seen anything for the newer models. I have been getting a good idea on what a good % to get off of MSRP is, going to try to shoot for 10% or so. I don't live in an area with a lot of dealerships so I don't think they have to get too competitive.
I just went back a couple months off the main MSRP thread. I posted in April. Looks like I got about $5900 off MSRP for my 2018 premium with moonroof and eyesight with popular package #2 (including $500 ambassador and $500 perferred Costco dealer bonus).

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Premium
369 Posts
Hey guys!

Lots of posts/threads on 2.5 vs 3.6
We’ve had a 2015 ltd 2.5 and now own a 2017 ltd 3.6. A couple of accidents in the 2015 encouraged us to get the 2017. Safety is top notch on the vehicles. We love the car. Had some great input from forum members to help us with the decision. No regrets on the 3.6. But nothing wrong with the 2.5. Mostly a math problem for your specific situation. We don’t have eyesight or navigation. Very happy with the car. Rumor is the 3.6 will likely disappear in 2020. So might get the 3.6 for collector's value. :)

Best of luck. Welcome!

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,161 Posts
  • EyeSight good!

• Premium trim usually represents the sweet spot for value, unless you really want one of the features only available in Limited or Touring trim.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited; Pearl White
24 Posts
If you have AAA membership, go here:
https://www.autoclubcarbuying.com/form/GetAAAPricing

You can request AAA pricing which tells you the MSRP, Invoice and AAA prices of the car itself as well as the various option packages.

·
Registered
2016 WRX, 2017 BRZ, 2017 Legacy
366 Posts
How about buying a used one?

I was about to pull the trigger on a 2018 Legacy when I found a nearly identical CPO 2017 w/10k miles for $6k less than the negotiated price on the 2018.

Nearly same car, but with a longer warranty and better head unit.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited with Eyesight, Forest Green
92 Posts
Seems like the 0% keeps getting renewed so as others have said, that doesn't need to be a reason to hurry.

Eyesight - Just got back from a long road trip. The adaptive cruise is well worth it.

I have the 3.6r and am glad I got it. I got as high as 31.5 mpg on the trip, with most tanks in the 29s. In town I'm around 23, but I'm in a small town taking short trips so that sucks for getting decent mileage in anything.

I have a Limited and have been very happy with the choice. Sitting at the dealership getting the 6k service done right now (late too, due to trip)

·
Registered
2016 2.5 outback limited
166 Posts
How about buying a used one?

I was about to pull the trigger on a 2018 Legacy when I found a nearly identical CPO 2017 w/10k miles for $6k less than the negotiated price on the 2018.

Nearly same car, but with a longer warranty and better head unit.
nothing wrong with that. i just got a 16 2.5 limited and saved over 13k from new with 23k miles on it. only thing missing was eyesight, and that dosent bother me. Had a clean and well maintained carfax. To boot was originally purchased from the dealer who i now take it in for service. nice feeling to have the once top of the line 2.5 until the touring came out. wouldnt have been able to get it, if i had bought new.:grin2:

·
Registered
2017 OB Limited 3.6
114 Posts
Eyesight, Yes. No one has mentioned yet that many Insurers give discounts for this feature. Mine did.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just replaced our 13 2.5 premium with 18 3.6 limited with no eyesight.
Love the 3.6 smoothness and power over the 2.5. Gas mileage is too early to tell. The trip home with it from Chicago to Detroit was 27.8 mpg. So I’m not the least bit mad at that. I specifically got the limited for all the extra features. Keyless, air vents rear, power gat and roof, h/k sound.
But I don’t like any type of eyesight system.
Personal pref I guess. Even if u follow all rules of the road, it will still flash, beep, and even brake and pull at the steering wheel. I just don’t like that sort of thing. Adapt cruise is the only part I’d like. But it’s not worth the rest of the annoyances. IMO
Also if u can get to chi area to purchase, they are usually 12-15% below msrp. Grand Subaru is #1 volume in Midwest. So they can give great deals.
Mine was 15% below msrp

1 - 20 of 47 Posts