Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was having cold start issues and a burning smell after changing the timing belt, and SubyTechJoe kindly pointed out I may have the timing slightly out (see http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...-belt-now-cold-starting-issue.html#post508648).

I checked it and it looked like the driver's side cam mark was half a tooth to the left of the notch on the timing cover. I started again and now have the belt back on and tensioner pin released and wanted to check in here as to whether this looks right (see photo). The belt mark is slightly to the right of the notch in the case and the mark on the cam sprocket is a fraction to the left of the notch. BTW, in this photo the crank mark is bang on the casing mark and the passenger's side camshaft mark is lined up with the casing line.

I counted teeth and there's 43.5 on the driver's side between the crank mark and the cam mark, and 47 on the passenger's side between the crank and the cam mark.

Just wanted to check if this looks good before I put it all back together.

Cheers
Simon

Attachments

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,505 Posts
As long as the white marks are lined up with all three timing marks in the teeth, don't worry. The pic looks good. Its probably just a little off on the belt in comparison to the tooth due to misalignment at the factory. Is it a Gates?

Rotate the engine one time and see if the timing marks line up with the marks on the engine.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
and here are what the other timing marks look like.

The passenger's side cam mark above looks a little to the right of the casing line, but I think that's more the angle of the camera lens. It looks in line by eye.

Cheers
Simon

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As long as the white marks are lined up with all three timing marks in the teeth, don't worry. The pic looks good. Its probably just a little off on the belt in comparison to the tooth due to misalignment at the factory. Is it a Gates?

Rotate the engine one time and see if the timing marks line up with the marks on the engine.
Thanks cardoc. Yeah it's a Gates belt. When you say rotate the engine one time, do you mean rotate past one compression stroke on one cylinder, or do you mean rotate the belt one full turn? If I rotate the belt one full turn then I'm pretty sure the marks on the cam sprockets and camshaft sprocket won't line up with their respective timing marks.

I've turned the engine over past 3 compression strokes and there's no valve interference, then wound it back and the marks still look like they do in my pictures - is that what you mean?

Cheers
Simon

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,505 Posts
Yes.

If you have all the electrical hooked up, aside from the alternator, you can actually start it with the cover off. If it starts and runs, good. If no, then you already have it apart.

But the marks look good.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes.

If you have all the electrical hooked up, aside from the alternator, you can actually start it with the cover off. If it starts and runs, good. If no, then you already have it apart.

But the marks look good.
Thanks again. I turned the engine over by hand to make sure it was all smooth, then reconnected everything before starting it up. It fired up right away and seems to be running perfectly (touch wood!). The proof of the pudding will be tomorrow morning on a cold start - previously it was struggling to start/fluttering. The start after I put everything back together was a cold start as the car hadn't been run today, but tomorrow will be the real test.

Cheers for getting back to me so quick :29:

Simon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts