Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning. I am new here. My daughter and I were involved in a major accident on Friday and my Volvo XC70 was totaled. Unfortunately, it looks as if we have been priced out of the Volvo market. The Subaru seems to be a very practical and economical substitute for my XC70. It looks like we might be purchasing a 2018 2.5i Touring in the next day or two. We are visiting a local dealer this morning with a Cars.com/Autotrader price listed of $35,697 (MSRP $38,399). This already seems like a good deal after reviewing the prices paid thread (although there isn't much listed on this particular trim level). Should I expect to get any further discounts on this price? Any thoughts and particular Subaru dealer guidance is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited XT
334 Posts
LindyLane:

We would like to help you but you don't give us needed information. The selling price is a function of your location, time of year, and dealer inventory. Based on your specific options and accessories you can quickly determine the invoice price of the unit you want to purchase by looking on the Internet at several websites such as KBB.com or Edmunds.com. Your final price should be several hundred to maybe even $1,500 below invoice but you will have to add the dealer processing fee to your final selling price. Obviously, state tax, title, and tags are an addition.

While you are looking consider the 3.6R Touring--you won't regret it. You will find it just as good, if not better, than a Volvo XC70 at a considerably lower price.

My $0.02. YMMV

Fred Meloan

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Do not use Kelly Blubook owned Auto Trader for pricing. It is heavily influenced by Dealer markup.

Use Edmunds.com to price out your model choice and regional prices. Its independently owned and they do a much better job on the pricing.

Oh and never ever pay MSRP! 1% over invoice is very fair. Any dealer who says xxxxx below MSRP consider them king of BS and if you cant get them to work from Invoice pricing find another dealer.

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited XT
334 Posts
LindyLane:

MSRP price of a 2018 Outback 2.5i Touring with no options or accessories is $37,405 so based on your post it has $994 of accessories as there are no options for a Touring. Is this correct?

The invoice price of a 2.5i Touring is $35,026 so your price of $35,697 suggests a sale at "invoice" plus a slight discount of $323 on the accessories.

This could not be considered a "good" deal in most areas of the United States.

My $0.02. YMMV

Fred Meloan

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Premium
19 Posts
The demand in your area will dictate the price probably more than anything. The touring isn't as common as the limited and premium and most dealer lots Ive seen don't have many tourings to chose from. The easiest thing you can do is look at the websites of local dealers and find a touring model you like and request a price right through the dealers site. Most dealers will give you price within hours. It sounds like you wont have a trade in so it should be even easier. I suspect you could get a better deal on a limited because there are so many more around but really you should just the car you want.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just picked up my '18 3.6 Touring. I hard to order it but I got it with auto dimming mirrors, remote start, door edge guards, body molding, splash guards, rear seat back protector and Thule crossbars. I negotiated it all down to $35,537 not including the Ambassador coupon I had. I am in the San Francisco Bay Area, so Outbacks are pretty popular here. Location is important, and a bigger dealership you will get a better deal. I would say just start emailing different dealers in your area and see the prices they are giving.

Also, outside of me all my family drive a Volvo. Currently one of them is looking at a new XC70 Cross country. The wagons haven't been selling well and so they are offering about 10k under list price. Most people are going the SUV route. They also have an XC40 coming out soon, its small though.

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring 3.6R, '11 Legacy 3.6R Limited. '11 WRX not stock
448 Posts
Try using www.TrueCar.com too just for comparison. I would recommend test driving the 3.6 Touring also but hey I'm really biased. Subaru has upped the refinement level which kept us in the fold again so don't use other Subaru vehicles as a marker.

.... and glad you and your daughter are OK the vehicle did it's job.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,194 Posts
I'm always envious when people talk about checking with other dealers looking for a better deal. The next nearest Subaru dealer to me is over 3 hours away and another one over 3.5 hours.

While I would be willing to buy one from that far away it would have to be a huge savings to make it worth the trip. Unfortunately the local dealer also knows this and negotiates accordingly. I opted to stay local this time around hoping I might get treated a little more favorably with service and any warranty repairs than if I had bought elsewhere. If that doesn't pan out I will shop a little harder out of the area next time around.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
549 Posts
I agree 100% with others. Access to a large Subaru market dictates your "best" price. If there's high volume dealer close enough, you could get 3.6R touring model for that price. Even if not - advertised price is rarely the best price, at least for Subarus.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all. There is so much good info here. I just drove a black 2.5 Touring and really, really liked it. It felt much more luxurious than the other cars I've considered at this price level. Unfortunately, even though we are in a huge market, inventory on Touring models seems very limited so I am having a hard time getting a significant # of quotes.. and I need the car ASAP so I can't wait on a custom build either. The MSRP that I quoted in my original post includes the Popular Package #3 (Thule roof rails, back seat protector, etc).

I am hesitant to move up to the 3.6 because of the cost increase but I will consider it if I can find a great deal. The big draw for the Subaru is getting a fully-loaded wagon for around $35K, over that and I am getting back into Volvo territory (I was quoted $45K for a 2018 V90). I do feel like my Volvo saved my life so it hasn't been an easy choice (we T-boned a large SUV that ran a stop sign hard enough for it to flip). My daughter and I walked away with only a few bruises.

I know that I will appreciate my Outback so much more if I feel like I got a good deal on it. I am finding the following information from the resources suggested here (including accessories).

Edmunds:
Invoice: $35,697
True Market Value: $36,389

KBB-
Invoice:$35,648
Fair Purchase Price: $36,484

The salesperson that I dealt with said that he could give me his internet price of $35,697 (appears to be exactly invoice) while also getting remote start installed on the car, which is a feature that I really wanted. With that deal, I will be paying about $6-$700 under invoice, right? With the limited options in the Touring trim, I'm not mad at that, but I will continue to contact dealers in nearby cities to see if I can find a deeper discount.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Touring
12 Posts
For me, a “good deal” is around 10% off MSRP on a new model vehicle, but everyone is different.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2.5i
333 Posts
I live in NC but bought a 2.5 Touring from Grand in Chicago and had it shipped. I was looking for dark blue and they're not too common (e.g., 1-2 in state at any given time). Price, including $650 shipping to NC and doc fee came to about $34.7k. The base quote was $33,842, and included popular package 3 (it also ended up with wheel locks, plastic film door edge guards, and an aftermarket, but dealer installed, remote start at no additional charge). The down side is I didn't get to inspect the car prior to it showing up in my driveway, but I asked my sales rep to check on panel gaps, and it's perfectly fine. If you can't find what you want locally, there are several dealerships that fairly routinely sell long-distance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
@LindyLane, have you considered Limited with EyeSight package and one of the Protection or Popular packages? That should give you nearly all features that you get in Touring and allows you to get a 3.6R in the price range you wanted to stay in. Please feel free to disregard this if you’ve already looked into this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Atayev, I really appreciate the chrome details, brown leather and low profile roof rails on the Touring trim. I'm hooked.

Another Texas dealer first offered $35,100, including destination fee (is this the same as dealer fee?) splash guards, rear seat back protectors, exterior auto dimming mirrors, remote start, 2-years of scheduled maintenance (too bad we aren't local)... and then subsequently offered $500 under invoice, which seems like the same deal to me if by "invoice" he means total invoice and not base invoice. Yikes, I think I might need to go to bed and start thinking about this again in the morning.

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Premium
83 Posts
If you don't live in the NW, CO, or the NE then you don't have 4-5 Subaru dealers near by to compete with each other. Getting that Touring at invoice is about 7% off MSRP and in Texas thats a good deal. Then if you can get the 0% for 63 months even better. If you feel your getting a good deal on the Outback, then sign the papers and drive away with one of the safest cars on the road today.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Atayev, I really appreciate the chrome details, brown leather and low profile roof rails on the Touring trim. I'm hooked.

Another Texas dealer first offered $35,100, including destination fee (is this the same as dealer fee?) splash guards, rear seat back protectors, exterior auto dimming mirrors, remote start, 2-years of scheduled maintenance (too bad we aren't local)... and then subsequently offered $500 under invoice, which seems like the same deal to me if by "invoice" he means total invoice and not base invoice. Yikes, I think I might need to go to bed and start thinking about this again in the morning.
Unfortunately destination fee is not the dealer fee (that vary quite a bit by the way) so expect another add on I price. Some dealers do not have dealer fee while others around here charge as much as $695.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Unfortunately destination fee is not the dealer fee (that vary quite a bit by the way) so expect another add on I price. Some dealers do not have dealer fee while others around here charge as much as $695.
Thank you for explaining this. I asked and there are no fees other than TTL at the dealership we visited today. Will continue to ask this question while I am shopping for quotes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you don't live in the NW, CO, or the NE then you don't have 4-5 Subaru dealers near by to compete with each other. Getting that Touring at invoice is about 7% off MSRP and in Texas thats a good deal. Then if you can get the 0% for 63 months even better. If you feel your getting a good deal on the Outback, then sign the papers and drive away with one of the safest cars on the road today.
I have a feeling this is going to be happening before the end of the week! :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts