Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback LL Bean
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been shopping for a 2022 Limited, probably XT. Didn't quite pull the trigger fast enough, and my 187K 2005 LL Bean has decided to have the trans speed sensor fail. So, it's at the dealer, because my regular shop didn't want to take it on. The dealer gave me a 2022 Limited loaner. The differences stand out in contrast. In no particular order:
-It's taller. I'm gonna miss the almost-sedan ride height of the 2005. But, I don't want a Legacy sedan. Oh well.
-Nice to have the seat pan tilt adjust on the passenger power seat.
-The rubber molding (optional, I think) at the bottom of the doors looks clunky. Is it as easy to remove as it looks?
-The drive-by-wire gives pretty good tip-in response, almost enough to not miss my 3.0 H6. But...
-Not enough go power for on-ramps and such, for my taste. I think an XT is in my future.
-Even so, the H4 just sounds and feels coarse compared to the H6.
-Most of the infotain stuff works pretty well. Better than a lot of Toyota, Hyundai, Jeep, etc rentals I've had.
-The electric power steering doesn't call attention to itself with a dead center and lack of feel, like many.
-The power lift gate will take, like, 60 seconds to get spoiled by. Nice.
-Good grief, that auto start-stop is chunky/clunky. Some cars, you hardly notice it.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
12,644 Posts
That rubber molding on the door isn't optional and there's both cladding on the door and below the door - don't think it will remove cleanly without filling holes or something.

·
Registered
2005 Outback LL Bean
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, shite. I thought I saw it on the option list when I was doing the build thing at the web site. I'm fine with the cladding below, just not fond of the bits on the door.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
12,644 Posts
There is an extra door cladding that is optional, but it goes up pretty high. It's intended for the Wilderness only.

Reactions: PilotXT and Buddy

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Touring XT
10 Posts
Agreed on the auto start/stop - on my wife’s 2020 Toyota Highlander and my previous 2017 Audi the system was so smooth, you barely noticed it. I think the software needs more refinement but also the boxer engine might have something to do with it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Well, shite. I thought I saw it on the option list when I was doing the build thing at the web site. I'm fine with the cladding below, just not fond of the bits on the door.
That plastic bit on the door is peeling off of my sister's company car. Right at the front it's sticking out, caught my attention so I took a quick peek at it. Looks like it's stuck on with double sided foam tape at that point. No idea about the rest of the piece but a parts diagram would show fasteners if there are any.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Garnish fell/broke off my 2011 thanks to years of abuse from my kids using it as a running board. There are several clips that stick out from the body that lock it down. Not sure if they use foam or tape in new models. The clips work as a team to hold it in place but are very brittle or delicate. I ended up replacing all of them.

If you have the 3.0, I agree that the XT power is likely more what you’re used to.

Attachments

·
Registered
239 Posts
Garnish fell/broke off my 2011 thanks to years of abuse from my kids using it as a running board. There are several clips that stick out from the body that lock it down. Not sure if they use foam or tape in new models. The clips work as a team to hold it in place but are very brittle or delicate. I ended up replacing all of them.

If you have the 3.0, I agree that the XT power is likely more what you’re used to.
Look at him go! Good job, dad, teaching him to fix things. Not a lot of that happening these days.

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
2,722 Posts
-Most of the infotain stuff works pretty well. Better than a lot of Toyota, Hyundai, Jeep, etc rentals I've had.
Shh, don't tell the infotainment haters or you'll be flagged as a Subaru "defender". I agree with you, though, that the infotainment is working pretty well in my 2021.

-It's taller. I'm gonna miss the almost-sedan ride height of the 2005. But, I don't want a Legacy sedan. Oh well
Not much different from the 2 previous generations. 2010 was a real 'upsize' redesign from what the Outback used to be.

@SilverOnyx that picture is from the dealer I bought mine from! FWIW - been very happy with them from a sales and service standpoint...

·
Registered
2005 Outback LL Bean
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shh, don't tell the infotainment haters or you'll be flagged as a Subaru "defender". I agree with you, though, that the infotainment is working pretty well in my 2021.
From a one-day experience, I didn't expect to have anything to add to the various problems folks have experienced. It was, though, straightforward to pair my phone, control the radio and AC, play some tunes from my ancient iPod through the Aux-In, switch off the start/stop and lane minder, and more. I've been in lots of cars where those tasks didn't work nearly as well. If that makes me a defender, so it goes.

·
Registered
239 Posts
From a one-day experience, I didn't expect to have anything to add to the various problems folks have experienced. It was, though, straightforward to pair my phone, control the radio and AC, play some tunes from my ancient iPod through the Aux-In, switch off the start/stop and lane minder, and more. I've been in lots of cars where those tasks didn't work nearly as well. If that makes me a defender, so it goes.
People get all worked up over stupid shat all the time. Rightfully so but even then perspective is important. So is correct info. Subaru isn't the only company having teething problems with infoscreens, they are just the only company this forum rightfully is dedicated to.
Personally I wish they'd do away with the whole idea of a single control interface for so many vehicle functions. If the screen goes down all you can do is drive the car, nothing else works. That's akin to putting all of ones eggs in a single basket.
The wife's 2022 hasn't had any of the problems people complain about here, not one. One issue it did have was when it seem to be stuck, having some sort of pairing problem with her phone after I disconnected the battery to reset the seat belt reminder. Once that was corrected it's been fine since. Time will tell.

·
Registered
2005 Outback LL Bean
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why not take the opportunity to negotiate a "as is" trade while your 05' is in their shop?
They have 3 Outbacks, none of which I want. It's the shortage. Last year this time, they had 25 or so. I even looked at their used cars. 35 large for a 2020 Limited with 30k miles is a hard no for me.

·
Registered
22 Green Onyx Ordered May 28th. Built 7.21.21. Arrived Aug 4th
208 Posts
They have 3 Outbacks, none of which I want. It's the shortage. Last year this time, they had 25 or so. I even looked at their used cars. 35 large for a 2020 Limited with 30k miles is a hard no for me.
Thats why i ordered a new one. It was alot less money than used

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you really think the info systrm is better than a toyota/jeep, then you must not be in America. The headunit chips in American outbacks are **** not even close to the shitty wrangler

·
Registered
2005 Outback LL Bean
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I stand by what I said. I've got a brand new Android phone. I rent a lot of cars. Can't even get a Toyota or Jeep to pair with it. And I've played with this 2022 for a couple of hours and everything works and is easy to learn without the manual. Can't say that for every car I've rented. So I don't really care what chip it's got in it.

@hallux and @HKshooter were right. :)

·
Premium Member
2021 Outback Touring XT
241 Posts
The head unit is pretty intuitive and somewhat simple in my personal opinion, and I have had the same pleasure of connectivity to devices through rentals on business travels. Don't get me started on the Jeeps Uconnect system. I had JK and it was a pain in the butt honestly (JL's could be better, no clue). That said, in researching here you will find the HK units have their share of issues. I am overall pretty fine with it because I knew what I was in for thanks to my reading up. Well, less the fact that I have had a Gen 3, Gen 4, 2 Gen 5's and now a Gen 6 Outback hahaha. Still reading up and knowing is more than half the battle. I don't have too many issues. Mostly a reboot every once in a blue moon. It is 100% due to Android Auto integration for me. I never see any issues if not plugged in using AA. I will also add on to that by saying my wife's Audi has similar issues with AA at times which causes her to do what they refer to as the "3 finger reset" to hard reset that system. It's not an HK system. Reading up with other vehicles they sometimes report similar behaviors with both AA and Carplay. So... just how it is I assume. I am just not one of the haters on the system. I take the issues in stride as they come and try to learn from other's experiences here.

·
Registered
2005 Outback LL Bean
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't have too many issues. Mostly a reboot every once in a blue moon. It is 100% due to Android Auto integration for me. I never see any issues if not plugged in using AA.
Interesting that you should say this. I connected my phone to the loaner with Android Auto to see how that works. Came away non-plussed. I don't use my phone as a music device, so there's that. I'll be Aux-In from my old iPod and will probably load up a USB stick to leave in the car. Then, the Google nav that seems fine on the phone seemed clunky on the HU, while I liked the car's nav just fine. Since I'll likely be getting an XT, it will come with nav and my phone will just be BT as a phone. So, I won't need to use AA, unless there's something I'm missing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts