Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi- I'm changing the timing belt on my 2005 2.5L SOHC Outback and have got to the stage where the belt is off and I'm trying to undo the camshaft sprocket bolts so I can remove sprockets and replace the seals. Before I removed the belt I lined up the marks on the camshafts and the crankshaft pulley with those on the engine casing/cover etc as your supposed to do.

However, when I went to undo one of the camshaft pulley bolts it spins around out of my control. My question is whether this matters as long as I realign the mark on the camshaft sprocket with that on the timing cover (it's the passenger side I'm working on). My thinking is that so long as those marks line up all will be cool. Is this right?

Cheers
Simon

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
a couple of things....

as long as the crank is in the correct position for the timing belt to be installed, there is no damage or problem with the cams spinning in any direction.

regarding the correct timing belt alignment marks, NOT the ARROWS, NEVER the ARROWS. if you have used the arrows on the cams or the crank, you are not in the correct position.

this is from an ej22 sohc, but the timing alignment marks are the same as the 00 - 04 ej25, just the tensioner is different.
i ASSUME your is very very similar.

good luck

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
keep the crank lined up (make sure you use the right mark, folks often use the wrong one) and it doesn't matter what you do with the cam sprockets for SOHC EJ engines.

those 17mm cam bolts are really tough to get off, particularly once the timing belt is off.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, MUCH appreciated!! I've got the new belt on now with the marks (not arrows) all lining up nicely - haven't pulled the pin in the new tensioner yet though. Nice to know that as long as the 3 timing marks as lined up it doesn't matter that the cams moved when the belt was off. The passenger side camshaft really didn't want to stay lined up with its mark and would flick left or right if I barely looked at it.

The camshaft bolts were a PITA to remove and tighten. I ended up putting the old belt back on, clamping it tight, replacing the crankshaft bolt, jamming a crowbar in the bell housing in an attempt to stop it all from moving. Was OK undoing them, but tightening was a bit special ha ha! I don't have my torque wrench so I just tightened them with a breaker bar until I felt they were **** tight. Not ideal, but I only realized I didn't have my torque wrench until I was balls deep into the job.

After I've released the tensioner pin I'm gonna turn the crank a couple times to make sure there's no resistance (valves hitting pistons) before putting the rest back together.

Thanks again!

Cheers
Simon

1 - 4 of 4 Posts