Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the 3.0s virtues is it's smoothness.
I think this engine would be an ideal candidate for what I'd like to do.
Once the "Y" section in the midpipe finishes rusting through, I'd like to silence mine as much as possible.
I think a dual exhaust on the 3.0 is technically overkill to begin with, so any more minor restrictions will doubtfully affect real time performance.
Any ideas on silencer/muffler, resonator
I have entertained the idea of a single exhaust system as well...

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,163 Posts
2001-2004 H6 have a single muffler. but finding one intact used in great shape is a hard get. and the muffler alone is a $500 thing with its fancy bypass.

if I were you I would just replace the pipe you got with a OEM one. if it can not be patched cheaply by any garage with a pipe bender.

each of my cars has a couple unions welded in where the pipes have worn away due to rust. cheap. and been working fine for YEARS.
(aftermarket catalogs might have the rear y-pipe section too if its too hard to make).

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
They already have quiet exhausts. Quiet the car itself. That giant cargo box on the back is an echo chamber. Get some soundproofing on the floor & walls and you'll do well.

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know I'll wind up getting the resonator/Y pipe assembly. At $130 it's not too bad given its complexity. Wondering if brand X vs brand Y mufflers have proven quieter, or have comparisons been indifferent.
Don't care much about interior levels. Like to make it even quieter from outside.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,163 Posts
nothing is as quiet as subaru oem H6 mufflers. nothing to switch, save your time,

and money for tires or struts or something.

after you get it buttoned up, just stay inside the car. listen to the stereo. what happens behind the car will handle itself.

Reactions: johnre
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.