Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have two Outbacks same year 2015, same engine 2.0d, same milage but one works quieter especially when first start. How is that possible, different oil or what??? Thanks

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,235 Posts
following

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
1,923 Posts
I'd say oil. Do you change yourself? Thinking not, since you're asking.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
When you say noise, is it only at idle, or while driving (the entire rpm range)? Is it a higher pitched ticking noise, or the diesel “clacking” noise?

the injection pump on one might be noiser than the other. These are direct injection common rail diesels, and the pumps/injectors can make a good bit of noise... and Subaru makes this complex by allowing up to 5 injector events per stroke on those motors. And those are adaptable for best combustion results (learns / adapts through driving). Not sure if there is any reset procedure that might change that (and I wouldn’t worry about it).

One source of noise on those might be a difference in acoustic shielding.... to reduce noise, subaru uses acoustic shields on that motor/transmission. Might check those to make sure they are in place (the same between the two). Intake manifold, cylinder block, and transmission will have them.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I doubt you bought both of these new.(?)
How long have you had them?
How many km on each?
I would suspect different break-ins by different humans and differing driving styles.(?)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 month both. I hava bmw gs 1200 with bad rocker arm and when its bad its all the time not only for first few seconds. I suspect it one of the injectors

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
1 month both. I hava bmw gs 1200 with bad rocker arm and when its bad its all the time not only for first few seconds. I suspect it one of the injectors
Could be. On those engines it’s hard to tell. I had a vw diesel that would do the same thing (owned since new). Never any error codes for the injectors, just noisy at startup. Colder was worse... diesel in really cold weather doesn’t flow as well.

Any way to scan for codes, see if there are any errors shown?

·
Registered
18 Outback 3.6r Touring
538 Posts
I’ve owned a lots of diesels, same brand same year different brand different year, etc... No two motors will ever sound the same. There are so many variables like parts suppliers, break ins, fluids, etc.... I would simply watch for signs out of the usually like poor mileage, white exhaust smoke, fluid loss. As an FYI I owned 3 VW Tdi’s at the same time 10 years ago. One did not have that “magic” diesel lifter rattle, it was so quiet, that I refused to drive it.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I’ve owned a lots of diesels, same brand same year different brand different year, etc... No two motors will ever sound the same. There are so many variables like parts suppliers, break ins, fluids, etc.... I would simply watch for signs out of the usually like poor mileage, white exhaust smoke, fluid loss. As an FYI I owned 3 VW Tdi’s at the same time 10 years ago. One did not have that “magic” diesel lifter rattle, it was so quiet, that I refused to drive it.
I had an early MKIV that was pretty noisy - was noisy for 220,000 miles until I sold it (still ran great). Mostly the injectors/injection pump. I eventually embraced the noise and removed the top engine cover. Did a lot of timing belt changes for members over at fred's forum (I guess it moved servers and changed names somewhere in there... I was on there in the very early days).

I think for the OP, if the noise doesn't get any worse, and there aren't any obvious problems with performance (or error codes), I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
18 Outback 3.6r Touring
538 Posts
I had an early MKIV that was pretty noisy - was noisy for 220,000 miles until I sold it (still ran great). Mostly the injectors/injection pump. I eventually embraced the noise and removed the top engine cover. Did a lot of timing belt changes for members over at fred's forum (I guess it moved servers and changed names somewhere in there... I was on there in the very early days).

I think for the OP, if the noise doesn't get any worse, and there aren't any obvious problems with performance (or error codes), I wouldn't worry about it.
If I buy a diesel

Wish I got to experience that mileage. First one got replaced with a pickup for need over a sedan. The other 2 were sportwagens. First one was totaled after 30 days of ownership due to a deer outside Kansas City. The second one was turned into VAG as part of my settlement. So I ended up with an Outback, Grand Cherokee, Grumman Cheetah and few odds and ends like a new kitchen and bathroom for the house:) as a result of my diesel experience.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts