Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks, Just bought my first Subie Outback. Lifetime Jeep owner but wanted to try the Outback.

Now I need to get a rack. I'm a WW kayaker, need to carry 4-6 WW boats. I have an old Thule rack that shot but still have Thule bike trays and stuff.

Looking at either Thule 450 with custom cut 78" down to fit bars, stacker and fairing. Or Yakima railgrab(till landing pad for 13' comes out in the fall) and custom cut 78" bars to fit, and big stack stacker. No fairing for the Yakima as with the landing pad it will be to tall for a fairing to work, (thinking windjammer for noise reduction when not hauling boats or just remove rack when not hauling).

Which should I go with? Will the 24" spread 150lbs capacity on the Thule be enough or should I hold out for the 30" landing pad spread 165lbs cap. and make do with the 21" spread on the railgrabs until then?

Thanks for any input, either just opinion or actual user knowledge with either rack system.

Dave

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,896 Posts
There's nothin' like a car with a nice rack...very useful for so many things.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Hey Folks, Just bought my first Subie Outback. Lifetime Jeep owner but wanted to try the Outback.

Now I need to get a rack. I'm a WW kayaker, need to carry 4-6 WW boats. I have an old Thule rack that shot but still have Thule bike trays and stuff.

Looking at either Thule 450 with custom cut 78" down to fit bars, stacker and fairing. Or Yakima railgrab(till landing pad for 13' comes out in the fall) and custom cut 78" bars to fit, and big stack stacker. No fairing for the Yakima as with the landing pad it will be to tall for a fairing to work, (thinking windjammer for noise reduction when not hauling boats or just remove rack when not hauling).

Which should I go with? Will the 24" spread 150lbs capacity on the Thule be enough or should I hold out for the 30" landing pad spread 165lbs cap. and make do with the 21" spread on the railgrabs until then?

Thanks for any input, either just opinion or actual user knowledge with either rack system.

Dave
Dave the weight limit is one thing - windage impact and roof racks ability to remain on the roof with the windage of the gear you have on it is a whole other thing.

I'm not clear on what your hauling but it sounds like 4-6 kayaks?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dave the weight limit is one thing - windage impact and roof racks ability to remain on the roof with the windage of the gear you have on it is a whole other thing.

I'm not clear on what your hauling but it sounds like 4-6 kayaks?
Yeah, 4-6 white water kayaks. Combination of smaller play/freestyle boats around 5-6ft and 30lbs each or big ass creek boats at 8-9ft and 40-50 lbs.

I have pulled off hauling 8 creekers on my jeep for a short distance (shuttle of about 15 miles back to 2nd vehicle. This will be on access and back roads so no wind issue). About 180-190 lbs total weight.

Highway the issue is wind pushing into the rear bar especially. I keep it under 6 boats on highway max, 4 creekers or play boats on their sides on bottom and then 2 playboats on top of those cockpit down.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Yeah, 4-6 white water kayaks. Combination of smaller play/freestyle boats around 5-6ft and 30lbs each or big ass creek boats at 8-9ft and 40-50 lbs.

I have pulled off hauling 8 creekers on my jeep for a short distance (shuttle of about 15 miles back to 2nd vehicle. This will be on access and back roads so no wind issue). About 180-190 lbs total weight.

Highway the issue is wind pushing into the rear bar especially. I keep it under 6 boats on highway max, 4 creekers or play boats on their sides on bottom and then 2 playboats on top of those cockpit down.
You need this rig note the pict of the kayaks http://popuptimes.com/?p=136

I happen to own this trailer by the way FANTASTIC!!! Being a boat guy my self its nice having the trailer parked in the garage loaded and ready to go 3 minutes to hook it up and be Gone. Also it is very heavily built with large tires very good off road trailer the OB is going to find its clearance limits before the trailer does. May not be in your budget but you should put it on the list of things to check out and think about.

Costco had sales on them every March the past few years bought mine for $1000 off MSRP delivered to the house in two working days! I was a little shocked at how fast it arrived LOL.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
I like the Thule boxes and the Yakima round bars so all my stuff is Yakima except the box. I've run 150lbs max during our Triatholon days lots of crap and bikes on the roof. Slow speed stuff shouldn't be an issue its the wind drag and rough road that would worry me beating the rack and causing the bar to bend down the middle levering the mounts hard with an inward angle. Of course with the kayaks your weight will run on the outer edges which is better but you need to worry about the bar bending outside the foot if you get the weight too far out.

Tricky problem to sort out. I haul my 12ft 130lb 55inch wide sailboat on the roof rack on 66inch bars about once a year. Works well but a b-tch to get on the roof of the car solo. LOL

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
You could slot a 2x4 and Ubolt it to the round bars to prevent the bar from bending which is what causes the stability problem with the feet given as the bar bends the feet get pulled or bent inward or outward pending which way the bar is getting bent. The 2x4 idea would simply stiffen up the bar and prevent the bend at which point the feet would be far more stable.

·
Registered
2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
822 Posts
A bit $$ but give the Yakima Rack and Roll trailer a look. Light and easy to use. Getting all those lil' yaks uptop sounds challenging. Please post pics if you get that many up there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
A bit $$ but give the Yakima Rack and Roll trailer a look. Light and easy to use. Getting all those lil' yaks uptop sounds challenging. Please post pics if you get that many up there.
I at one time had 12 on top of a dodge stratus! Dented the roof though!

I will post picks this spring when season starts. Getting 6-8 on top running a shuttle is no problem.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
I at one time had 12 on top of a dodge stratus! Dented the roof though!

I will post picks this spring when season starts. Getting 6-8 on top running a shuttle is no problem.
Either way the slotted 2X4 idea to help stiffen up the bar is a good idea. Easy enough to do wouldn't take more than a few minutes to do it.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R SAP BBP Outback
717 Posts
I regularly hauled two 14 foot kayaks (45 lbs each) or a Thule box or a Subaru cargo basket on Thule racks on the Outback. However, last year for the kayaks I graduated to a trailer (Trailex) and it's worlds better for my purposes. Quieter, no windage, easier to load, and I think safer. I don't notice the trailer effects on the car at all. Trailex makes a multi-boat trailer that would be excellent for 4-6 boats for any distance/speed. I still use the Thule rack for the box and basket.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts