Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Hope to Own a Subaru soon
6 Posts
Please excuse my total ignorance on this subject. I have never owned a Subaru nor worked on one. Although I have worked on a Hansa Goliath, but that was a long time ago. I am puzzled as to why an eleven year old Subaru would have a clogged
heater core.
Is that common?

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,466 Posts
If the heater core is clogged, you could overheat the engine before the thermostat opens as it will delay when it opens.
DITO. It's like having a cooling port or hose collapsed. Newer designed cars do not have heater control valves anymore that shut off the coolant flow to the heater core.

If he core is clogged, deterioration of the metals has already started necessitating replacement.

Has a "stop leak" ever been used in the coolant system? If so, this or tap water was the contributor to failure. Otherwise, it wouldn't have "clogged" with regular flushing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
DITO. It's like having a cooling port or hose collapsed. Newer designed cars do not have heater control valves anymore that shut off the coolant flow to the heater core.

If he core is clogged, deterioration of the metals has already started necessitating replacement.

Has a "stop leak" ever been used in the coolant system? If so, this or tap water was the contributor to failure. Otherwise, it wouldn't have "clogged" with regular flushing.
I did use stop leak about this time last year. At that time I knew I had HG issues, internal and external leaking, and wanted to make it to the spring so I could resolve in a little warmer weather, which I did. Since, I've flushed the system a number of times.

My guess is its clogged up or has a small leak. Although I haven't been losing any coolant or at least not enough to notice.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i Premium/DDD Graphite Gray Metallic OP#2 Weathertec Window Deflectors
405 Posts
Did you bleed the rad. using the large screw on the left side of the rad. that will get the air out. It's on the engine side of the rad.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
I did use stop leak about this time last year. At that time I knew I had HG issues, internal and external leaking, and wanted to make it to the spring so I could resolve in a little warmer weather, which I did. Since, I've flushed the system a number of times.

My guess is its clogged up or has a small leak. Although I haven't been losing any coolant or at least not enough to notice.
Never use stop leak products on a car you plan on keeping. Chances are you have various cooling passages plugged up and its a combination of issues and you still have a blown HG issue in other words your entire cooling system is suspect due to the stop leak product. Subaru will not chip in on the repair as they are known for doing given you have compromised the system using the stop leak junk

·
Registered
Hope to Own a Subaru soon
6 Posts
2001 with 206K miles.
"replace the lower hose, upper hose, heater hoses, bypass hose (small rubber hose off water pump), Tstat (oem), water pump, etc. Flushed the system a couple of times, the most recent with a chemical flush additive and ran water through to rince as instructed.

Since I put the bypass in to take the heater core out of the loop I've had no overheating issues at all. It's been perfect (knock on wood). I'm wondering if it could be a clogged heater core... i'm going see if I can flush it out this weekend and give it a shot. i'm willing to take the 10 minutes to avoid taking apart the dash, especially since winter is just about here in NE."

If you flushed the system that much I do not think the heater core could have anything in it, but whatever you think.

Like I said if you turn on the heater and it works..... That means you are getting hot water through the heater core... Or you will not have any heat if it is full of air or clogged. I have seen a lot of stop leak used to try to stop a heater core leak.
The inside of the car smelled like anti-freeze for a long time after I replaced the heater core. I must admit I have replaced a lot of heater cores in 45 years and I do not remember ever seeing one clogged unless it came from a junk yard, maybe.

Now to think that Subaru plays any part in this at 206K miles on a 2001. I would like I would like to know how anyone would think along those lines.

Anti-freeze spells sweet but it will make you sick after while than you can drive with the window down?
Have a nice day.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts