Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2001 H6 OBW
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is this part? I didn't take this engine apart and have been piecing it together like a puzzle. I made it to putting the radiator back in and found out that the hoses were cut instead of just pulled off. Does this connect to the radiator anywhere??!! I'm trying to find an exploded view... my Chilton manual only shows an exploded view of a 1.7L engine. Mine is a 96' Subaru Legacy 2.5L.

My guess is a solinoid or filter of some sort... but I am wondering if it even connects to the cooling system. :confused:

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
that is the charcoal canister designed to capture gas tank fumes . in some years they then feed it back into the intake and at certain times a solenoid or valve opens to suck the canister empty of whatever. i think the hose you have indicated is an over flow of some kind.

·
Registered
2001 H6 OBW
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was hoping you'd say that... I was hoping it was an overflow of some sort. It almost looks like it could reach the radiator but it doesn't look right. Also, after looking around at some EVAP related Google results, I am pretty sure you hit it right on the head.

Thank you!

·
Registered
'05 2.5i H4 4-Speed Auto w/Sportshift
514 Posts
I think it goes somewhere to the air intake for the fuel injection system, kind of like what used to be considered a carburetor. I think the idea is to burn off the fumes gathered up in the canister - as others have stated.

That canister, I believe does connect to a small pipe or two that come from the gas-fill neck. If you study the fill neck, you may see a metal hose or two coming off of that neck. Then they turn to rubber, then back to metal again, then back to rubber to meet up with the canister.

I hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
2001 H6 OBW
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Saint J VT, it certainly does and you are right about the metal hoses to rubber hoses (at least in the engine compartment). I didn't even think it would be part of the EVAP system right off the bat. That's because on my other Subaru, the EVAP canister, solenoid and filter are behind the right tire.

Thanks for the additional info. Now, I'm not so freaked out. Except, I am pretty sure I will have to replace the hoses that were cut off of the radiator. They barely slip back on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts