Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I ordered a new fan motor for our 2010 Outback 2.5i Premium, part number 45131SA00A, from SubaruOnlineParts.

I searched both by model, and by VIN number, and came up with this part. Unfortunately, the mounting holes don't match the fan shroud, and the electrical connector is different too. The motor arrived in a box with this part number, so it doesn't appear to be a simple shipping mistake. The model year before and after both seem to use this part, so it doesn't seem like a model year transition problem.

Both fans on the car seem to have identical motors, as expected. But they aren't this part...

Any ideas about what's going on? Could someone have replaced a bunch of stuff at the front of the car? If so, what fan motor might I have? It's mounting pattern is a little smaller than the replacement. I guess I could replace the shroud, and transfer the connecter, but I'd prefer to understand what's going on if possible.
Regards
Doug

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i
2,844 Posts
fitment for the above part

2012 Subaru Legacy2.5GT, 2.5i, 2.5i Limited, 2.5i Premium2.5L H4 - Gas
2012 Subaru Outback2.5i, 2.5i Limited, 2.5i Premium2.5L H4 - Gas
2011 Subaru Legacy2.5GT, 2.5i, 2.5i Limited, 2.5i Premium2.5L H4 - Gas
2011 Subaru Outback2.5i, 2.5i Limited, 2.5i Premium2.5L H4 - Gas
2010 Subaru Legacy2.5GT, 2.5i, 2.5i Limited, 2.5i Premium2.5L H4 - Gas
2010 Subaru Outback2.5i, 2.5i Limited, 2.5i Premium2.5L H4 - Gas
2009 Subaru Legacy2.5i, 2.5i Limited, 2.5i Special Edition, GT Limited, GT spec.B2.5L H4 - Gas
2009 Subaru Outback2.5i, 2.5i Limited, XT Limited2.5L H4 - Gas
2008 Subaru Legacy2.5i, 2.5i Limited, 2.5i Special Edition, GT Limited, GT spec.B2.5L H4 - Gas
2008 Subaru Outback2.5i, 2.5i L.L. Bean Edition, 2.5i Limited, 2.5i Limited L.L. Bean Edition, Base, XT Limited2.5L H4 - Gas
2007 Subaru LegacyGT Limited, GT spec.B2.5L H4 - Gas
2007 Subaru OutbackXT Limited2.5L H4 - Gas
2006 Subaru LegacyGT, GT spec.B2.5L H4 - Gas
2006 Subaru OutbackXT, XT Limited2.5L H4 - Gas
2005 Subaru LegacyGT, GT Limited2.5L H4 - Gas
2005 Subaru OutbackXT, XT Limited2.5L H4 - Gas

look at it and make sure it has the correct part number on it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has two printed numbers on it. The first looks more like a phone number!

187-800-0373
12V--->M5Y30

Do these help identify it?
doug

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
7,822 Posts
You might post an image so that those of us with this part supposedly on our vehicle can compare it to what we have.

And don't overrule the possibility that someone in the parts warehouse got things confused.

Changing title to "Radiator fan motor ..." to avoid confusion.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply Johnre. The fan arrived in a box with that part number on the outside, but that doesn't completely eliminate the chance of warehouse confusion.
Here are some pictures of the fan motor I received. It's similar to what I need, but not the correct mount spacing or connector.
Thanks for any insight.
Doug
IMG_0335.jpg
IMG_0337.jpg

·
Registered
19,022 Posts
Are you sure about that part number?

When I Google search the number 45131SA00A, and go to listed Subaru dealer sites, the listings are for turbo-equipped models, or, indicate that part doesn't apply to the 2010 2.5.

The SubaruOnLine parts site is also confusing, because when searching by the car year, model etc, that part number appears to apply for both turbo and 2.5i (bottom of page). Cooling Fan for 2010 Subaru Outback | Subaru Online Parts Store

Of course, when using the VIN, this should not be an issue, but there seems to be an inconsistency that could carry over to the use of the VIN.

Perhaps contact SubaruOnlineParts, noting in particular what their page shows (link above).

·
Registered
19,022 Posts
According to the FSM, the Bulkhead Wiring Harness connector that the fan motor connector attaches to is different between turbo and non-turbo.

Here's the shape of the non-turbo wiring harness connectors:

And here's the turbo equivalent:

Your photo of the connector looks to be a fit for turbo version.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks plain OM. I have contacted SubaruOnlineParts and, so far, they have just pointed me to the combined fan and motor assembly (which I do not need). I will follow up by phone if they don't get back to me.
I assumed, from their web site, that the part did apply to both the turbo and non-turbo models, but your investigation of the connectors supports your idea that this is the turbo-only part.
Thanks, I will look for the non-turbo part number on other sites and get on the phone to subaruonlineparts.
Doug

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i
2,844 Posts
you can remove the connector (de pin it) and install the correct connector as well.

also, I would definitely wipe that motor down with rubbing alcohol and spray it with etching primer and then black paint to make it last longer

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you can remove the connector (de pin it) and install the correct connector as well.

also, I would definitely wipe that motor down with rubbing alcohol and spray it with etching primer and then black paint to make it last longer
Yes, but it doesn't fit the mounting holes. I think I'll try to find the correct part.

·
Registered
2009 3.0R Outback
740 Posts
It appears to me that you can't buy just the motors for the 2.5i. You have to buy the motor/fan assembly and there are two different parts depending on which one you need.

Condenser - 73310AG04A
Radiator - 45121AG02A

Due to the cost, I personally wouldn't buy new OEM for these parts. I would either buy used OEM from a wrecker/ebay or go with new aftermarker since they cost 1/3 the price.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, it seems that the web-based parts lookup has problems and, even with the correct VIN the wrong part is found. Subaruonlineparts does not take any responsibility for this, because they say that interface is supplied by a third party, and that they want customers to always send the VIN with the order for confirmation.
I didn't do this, because there did not seem to be any ambiguity so, apparently, I'm on the hook for return shipping. Oh well, I won't be using them again.
Thx
Doug

1 - 12 of 12 Posts