Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Outback VDC
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put a JDM engine in my 2001 Outback VDC and after a few initial trips around the block the radiator fans started running. The engine quit shortly after and the dashboard display indicated transmission overheating. After waiting a few minutes for cooling down the engine started again and I could drive home.

I let the engine cool down completely. Next time I turned the key, the fans started running as soon as the key was in the "ON" position; even before the starter began cranking.

This indicates a faulty heat sensor somewhere, but I have no idea where to start looking.

·
Registered
2001 Outback VDC
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's definitely an electrical problem. I took the little OBD tester and erased the existing codes. As soon as the "Check Engine" light turned off the fans stopped running. But less than a second later the "Check Engine" light was back on and the fans continued to run.

The OBD codes are 1130 and 1135, which indicates disconnected Front Oxygen Sensors. I checked the connections and they look OK. I also don't see how disconnected Oxygen Sensors can cause the fans to run or the transmission to overheat, while the engine coolant stays in the normal range.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts