Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2014 and 2016 Outback Limited
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 110,000 miles on my 2014 Outback and am thinking I need to change the radiator fluid. Do I really need to do a complete flush. I can honestly never remember doing it on any of the vehicles I have owned in the last 40 years. I usually just empty the radiator and do a fill.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Yes you do. Why have you never done it before? Boggles the mind.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,193 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback, 2.5i Limited w/ Moonroof
1,541 Posts
Yes. While engine coolant is so much better today than the coolants of 30 or 40 years ago, they still need to be totally flushed and replaced per the OEM schedule. I think the schedule on your '14 is 11 years or 137,500 miles, whichever comes first. And thereafter every 6 years or 75,00 miles.

While modern coolants are designed better, and protect an engine from corrosion for a much longer time than those of yesteryear, engines are also much more susceptible to corrosion. There are very few cast iron engines with cast iron water pumps out there any longer. Particularly, most Asian engine blocks are aluminum, but there still may be ferrous metal components, such as water pump impellers. This creates opportunities for electrolysis. So not only is it important to have coolant with strong corrosion inhibitors in your engine. It's also very, very important to have the correct coolant in your engine.

In other words, don't go cheap on the coolant. Get the right stuff. Good old green isn't necessarily good, and can actually be very, very, very bad in many engines.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts