Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at both my '01's, I am surprised at the rather thin, single row radiators, and want to upgrade the cooling capacity.

From what I can see on Rockauto, the H6 rad is 1.0" thick, and the H4 rad is .625", so I'm assuming that the H6 rad is 2 rows, and would be the better replacement.

Are the inlet, outlet, and tranny connections in the same place?

Is there a better alternative, upgraded rad for these cars?

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts
All of your OEM replacement are going to be the same as what you have.

I know Koyo makes them.

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All of your OEM replacement are going to be the same as what you have.

I know Koyo makes them.
Not sure what you mean by "same as what you have".

Naturally, I would assume that any manufacturers replacement radiator would be a drop-in, but my concern is whether or not the heavier-duty H6 rad can be used in place of the H4 rad and use the same hoses and tranny lines.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,221 Posts

·
Master Caster
16,120 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "same as what you have".

Naturally, I would assume that any manufacturers replacement radiator would be a drop-in, but my concern is whether or not the heavier-duty H6 rad can be used in place of the H4 rad and use the same hoses and tranny lines.
Anything OEM aftermarket to fit your car will have all of the lines/hoses connection in place.

H6 radiators have (2) top large outlets...For the same reason a race aluminum WRX radiator doesn't work in any H6...is the same reason an H6 doesn't work in your OB.

It would maybe be possible to use that same mention race WRX aluminum rad in your car. But they do not have trans coolers...so you need to add a trans cooler if you go that route.

I did this on my 2006, FrankenWagon.

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
You would be better off buying the Mishimoto full aluminum radiator, although it is only for the 2.5 n/a 2nd gen Legacy & Outback. If you install it in an automatic car, you will have to add on an external ATF cooler to compensate for the lack of a built-in ATF cooler in the Mishimoto...

To put it in a 3.0, the rad itself would require some customization...+ also an external ATF cooler, as all the 3.0 were automatic.

·
Master Caster
16,120 Posts
You would be better off buying the Mishimoto full aluminum radiator, although it is only for the 2.5 n/a 2nd gen Legacy & Outback. If you install it in an automatic car, you will have to add on an external ATF cooler to compensate for the lack of a built-in ATF cooler in the Mishimoto...

To put it in a 3.0, the rad itself would require some customization...+ also an external ATF cooler, as all the 3.0 were automatic.
If they want to go that far, Frankie has the Mishimoto , bu the Koyo Race is the same ... essentually

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
H6 and H4 radiators are not interchangeable. There's a write up from someone converting an H4 to an H6 to show all the hurdles they had to jump through, including cutting and customizing the new radiator tanks, hoses, etc.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK. Thanks. looks like if I want to increase the cooling capacity I'll have to find a "heavy duty" radiator made for the H4.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts