Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have the pioneer with nav (2012 outback Limited) and noticed intermittently the radio will change radio channels by itself. I talked to my dealer and he was very honest. He said subaru is awhare of this and even came out with a fix. they installed the fix in his car but it did not work. The dealer is trying to get answers.
According to him the issue is on the car Subaru does not constantly charge the battrery. It will charge and shut off the charging system till it notices that the batt went low and it then turns on the charging system again. From what i can see there must be a spike in electrical energy that causes the radio to change channels. I work for the medical field and we have a unit that basically does the same thing. The unit uses a compressor and when it kicks in all is fine but when the comptrssor stops the windings on the compressor motor produdes a spike. Any type motor when it stops will produce a field and when this fieds collapses it produces an electrical spike and wil transmit down the electrical line. For some reason the radio is affected by this. I will try to install an electrical suppressor and will let you know the outcome.
I was just wondering if anyone else has this problem or may have found a fix. It is very intermittent .

·
Registered
1 Posts
We picked up our car (2012 Outback Limited with Pioneer system) and noticed that it's doing the same thing. I emailed the dealer tonight and will wait to see if i hear back tomorrow. It happens 4 out of 5 times we take the car.. does get annoying.

·
Registered
Subaru Outback 3.6R Ltd 2012
2 Posts
Radio will change channel by itself

I have the same problem on my Outback Limited 2012 with Pioneer AVIC GPS Radio. It will happen every now and then, since day one. I will check with my dealer in case they have a fix that works.

·
Registered
Subaru Outback 3.6R Ltd 2012
2 Posts
They change/installed a capacitor somewhere around the radio and the problem is now gone. It's a fix from Subaru.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,110 Posts
Sounds like it is going into search mode. I wonder if the capacitor was in the head unit or the steering wheel controls.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts