Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a 2018 OB and have noticed quite a few threads on issues with the infotainment system ranging from white screens and missing buttons to chronic issues with Carplay connectivity. I also see that there have been some firmware updates directed at resolving these issues, but it is unclear to me whether this is still an issue in 2018s. The car I drive now has a practically useless and unreliable infotainment system and I don't want to plop down a bunch of $$ to end up in the same boat. Fill me in, crew!:grin2:

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,722 Posts
I also see that there have been some firmware updates directed at resolving these issues, but it is unclear to me whether this is still an issue in 2018s.
Some owners report that the recent firmware update for 2018 head units cured most of the problems they had experienced, but some others report persistent glitches even after the update. YMMV.

The car I drive now has a practically useless and unreliable infotainment system and I don't want to plop down a bunch of $$ to end up in the same boat.
If you're looking to buy an entertainment system that can occasionally double as a motor vehicle, you will probably be dissatisfied with an Outback.

Reactions: bheinen74

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some owners report that the recent head unit firmware update cured most of the problems they had experienced, but some others report persistent glitches even after the update. YMMV.

If you're looking to buy an entertainment system that can occasionally double as a motor vehicle, you will probably be dissatisfied with an Outback.[/QUOTE]

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
Some owners report that the recent firmware update for 2018 head units cured most of the problems they had experienced, but some others report persistent glitches even after the update. YMMV.

If you're looking to buy an entertainment system that can occasionally double as a motor vehicle, you will probably be dissatisfied with an Outback.
:grin2: pretty much spot on.

Reactions: bheinen74

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Limited w/EyeSight
207 Posts
I'm not sure why people are throwing snark at a serious question... especially people who don't have a 2018 and can't answer the question from experience. :confused:

For my 2018 ownership experience, the headunit is still problematic, but appears to have improved somewhat after the recent updates. Before the updates, we were having a range of issues from volume problems to apps not working to the whole unit freezing, at least 2-3 a week. After the updates, most of the quirks seem to results from the Carplay implementation more so than the head unit itself, and are rarer (looking to be a couple a month). We have still had a couple freeze-ups since the update, but nothing like before.

Short answer is: if you want a pain-free experience with your car, including all of the features you are paying for, the Outback is not for you. If you really love the Outback, the 'quirks' are likely not dealbreakers. You decide which of these applies to you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure why people are throwing snark at a serious question... especially people who don't have a 2018 and can't answer the question from experience. :confused:

For my 2018 ownership experience, the headunit is still problematic, but appears to have improved somewhat after the recent updates. Before the updates, we were having a range of issues from volume problems to apps not working to the whole unit freezing, at least 2-3 a week. After the updates, most of the quirks seem to results from the Carplay implementation more so than the head unit itself, and are rarer (looking to be a couple a month). We have still had a couple freeze-ups since the update, but nothing like before.

Short answer is: if you want a pain-free experience with your car, including all of the features you are paying for, the Outback is not for you. If you really love the Outback, the 'quirks' are likely not dealbreakers. You decide which of these applies to you.
Thank you for a balanced, friendly, and honest reply. I do not appreciate the snark in others' comments either. My car is essentially a rolling office for me. Juggling multiple clients who all need calls, texts and emails answered and responded to...quickly and efficiently...makes the infotainment piece rather important to me. I'm not concerned about Carplay because I value fun toys more than the car itself, it's because its an important feature to me and I need it to work. I'd much rather call on the experience and knowledge of the hive mind than buy one to learn what folks here already know.

That said, it doesn't sound like a deal breaker. The Outback is very uniquely positioned in the market such that, for my needs, it has very few competitors. Nothing is perfect. I can deal with tech that works 95% of the time. Many thanks.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
971 Posts
With my OB, I had a glitch happen once a few days after I bought it (day before Thanksgiving). Since then, it hadn't acted up at all. I've played with both Android Auto and Apple Car Play, but spent very little time with either. I was hoping to leave my Android (personal phone) connected full time, and use my iPhone (work phone) for phone calls over Bluetooth, but it apparently doesn't allow that. So for now I'm just sticking with a single phone over BT. Because of the Govmt shutdown I had to turn the iPhone off and use my S8, and it's been flawless for that time, including streaming Pandora and Amazon Music. It looks like I get to go back to work tomorrow, so the iPhone will be back in the saddle.

The problem appears to be random for users. I don't have the latest firmware update and as I said I haven't had any issues other than the one time. But I will get the firmware updated when I have the chance.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2.5i
339 Posts
With my OB, I had a glitch happen once a few days after I bought it (day before Thanksgiving). Since then, it hadn't acted up at all. ...
The problem appears to be random for users. I don't have the latest firmware update and as I said I haven't had any issues other than the one time. But I will get the firmware updated when I have the chance.
I'm basically in the same boat - one morning commute when the sound cut; resolved itself by the commute home. original firmware, will get it updated eventually (haven't been to the dealership yet).

Android Auto has been fine, a couple times it takes a couple plug/unplug cycles. Use a good cable. plug in the phone after the car is running. No problems so far with nav, phone favorites, presets, etc.

Unfortunately, it's hard to tell whether you will get a problematic system, and I'm not sure it's even clear what the problem(s) is/are. Clearing memory & presets could be an electrical issue as well as a software issue, interior or exterior to the headunit. For those who aren't experiencing problems, it's easy to say live with the system. For those who are, it can be major negative, especially if their needs are similarly served by a different car.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm basically in the same boat - one morning commute when the sound cut; resolved itself by the commute home. original firmware, will get it updated eventually (haven't been to the dealership yet).

Android Auto has been fine, a couple times it takes a couple plug/unplug cycles. Use a good cable. plug in the phone after the car is running. No problems so far with nav, phone favorites, presets, etc.

Unfortunately, it's hard to tell whether you will get a problematic system, and I'm not sure it's even clear what the problem(s) is/are. Clearing memory & presets could be an electrical issue as well as a software issue, interior or exterior to the headunit. For those who aren't experiencing problems, it's easy to say live with the system. For those who are, it can be major negative, especially if their needs are similarly served by a different car.
Just had this today... music last night, all sound off but touch screen working fine for both morning and evening commutes. Argh.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.